Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I'd like to throw some compatibility info with at least one specific model of case into the mix since this comes up a lot when people are interested in these style cases.

I bought an RVZ02 the second it came out because there wasn't much (or anything) like it. Now that a little time has passed I think I would prefer the Node 202 simply due to the clamshell and feet design the Silverstone cases use add unnecessary hassle in my opinion, but as far as performance goes I was able to fit a MSI 980ti 6G in the GPU chamber no issue and a overclocked 6600k 4.6 ghz at 1.35vcore in the CPU area with a Silverstone AR05 cooler. I run the 980ti at max voltage and powertarget and will hit about 80 degrees maximum, with a caveat. I must remove the dust filter for the GPU chamber otherwise the temps will rise into minor throttling territory after enough gameplay. After removing it, it never throttles. However alternatively to that if I set my fan curve to be more aggressive then that also thwarts the issue without removing the filter, but it increases the noise over factory fan curve db and I didn't want that. So I believe I am pushing the performance limits of this case, but other than removing a dust filter that honestly hasn't been a single issue after 7 months or so (literally no visible dust, I dont know why, perhaps its all blown out by the GPU fans due to the tiny enclosure its in) that you can indeed "have it all" so to speak (and all this on a SFXL 500 watt PSU). My primary focus was GPU OC, temps, and noise, which in the end wasn't affected at all much to my surprise, but there are hard limitations to the CPU OC due to cooler size depending on the CPU you have. With the 6600k, I lost perhaps only 100 mhz to this which I considered negligible, but if I had an equivalent Haswell that wasn't delidded... the gulf would widen a bit. And you won't be running a 9590 in there at any clockspeed you want, for an extreme example ;)

But overall my point is, dont be afraid - it works, and frankly dont even worry about spending the cash to buy a blower cooler if the case you're interested in handles open air just fine. I am certain I'd have gained nothing but additional noise if I had a blower cooler in this particular case.

With the next gen cards using even less power true mitx cases will have even better capability with a wider range of parts and cases in the future, especially when you combine lowering SSD prices and the prevalence of M.2 slot SSD's.

(I keep it fully behind my monitor)

edit: Oh and another concern is cable management. Yes, its tight and there is far less tolerance. I was expecting it to be a huge pain in the rear end really. But in reality... its actually less work than detailed cable management in a larger case because there really isnt any cable management. The cables go where they are going to go and that's kind of it. Now, if you spent the time to neaten it up for aesthetics, then by far this would be the more difficult compared to a mid tower, but I didn't see much point.

Here is a pic of it at absolute peak rat's nest when I added more HDD's than it could handle.

But it just didn't matter much, the cables went where they pretty much had to go and, in the end, that made it kind of easy.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

VulgarandStupid posted:

My build is pretty similar in the RVZ02 with the same power supply. I went with it because there is a ghetto way to put a 3.5" drive, literally ripping out a mounting post and shoving the drive in there. There is no mechanical decoupling at all and it's not mounted securely, so it is loud. I have an EVGA 980Ti which is a bit narrower than the MSI, and an i7-5775C cooled with a Cyrorig C7. The CPU runs hotter than it should, but I read an article saying most stock paste isn't enough for the 5775c because it also has the eDRAM generating heat, so when I switch my system from an H97 board to a Z97, I will repaste it.

I probably would have gone with the SH13B if I had to do it all over again, since I have an extra CLC sitting around, it properly supports a 3.5" drive and is actually cheaper. The fit and finish isn't as nice as the Raven, but it shaves off 1.5 liters.

Cool, yeah after delidding you'll be on easy street.

I prefer this case layout because of how thin it is it fits anywhere. But I definitely understand the desire for the more squatter style.

My issue with this 980ti was actually the height , it pushed the limit

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

wipeout posted:

You can get a cheap windows 7 key, and use that to activate windows 10, just in case anyone wants a cheap os.

Watch brownthunders thread in SA mart if you need one of these, they work