Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

CopperHound posted:

Did somebody take a look at the fractal node and decide that it was too good?

I have a Fractal Node and it looks fine :colbert:

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dropping by this thread since I couldn't find a better fit. I would like the opinion of someone who knows a bit about affordable mini PC.

I'm looking for a mini PC at or below 200EUR. It's sole purpose is to stream YouTube, Netflix, Spotify while attached to a TV. We're only running 1080p but 4K would be nice in case we upgrade.

There is plenty of choice from Amazon but I'm having trouble separating the good ones from the bad ones. Many have AliExpress-sounding brands (ACEPC, Minisforum, what have you) which by itself isn't a problem, but this then goes together with odd product pages. That is, wonky product descriptions, glowing reviews that show basically the same sequence of unboxing pictures, eerily similar in-action-footage, and in one case a 'customer' complaining that they weren't paid the agreed amount for their review.

Who knows something about this market segment?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Krailor posted:

Is there a particular reason you want a pc for this? The use case you described is a perfect fit for a dedicated streaming device. (Roku/Shield/FireTV).

It looks like the Nvidia Shield TV is around 150 EUR and is the best option available for these types of devices.

Oh I didn't realize these existed, my knowledge was stuck on 2009 HTPCs so that's where I went looking.

I'll have to see whether these can also stream content from random websites but they probably can, at the very least you can use them to stream content from your mobile device so it should be fine. Thanks for mentioning this!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Considering to get myself one of these mini itx boards with an inboard cpu as a living room Netflix/Spotify machine

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Cygni posted:

tbh i got an nvidia shield and i aint going back. android sucks incredibly bad, but the shield is very snappy and i like the AI upscaling. i wouldnt buy a PC for netflixing this days

Zero VGS posted:

If all you want is Netflix and Spotify I think just a Raspberry Pi 4 can handle that? Would cost $40-60 instead of $400-600.

Collateral Damage posted:

Or a Chromecast.

There are three reasons.

The most important is that I've tried to run streaming services on raspberry Pi before. But the experience so far as always been super slow, janky and unreliable. I'm seeing videos now of the raspberry pi 4 being able to stream smoothly. I have in fact a 4 model b around. But by comparing the information on the RAM chip I might have one of the 1GB variants. I found the guide that I used at the time, which went through installing a plugin for Netflix into KODI, for which even the 1 GB version should have worked. Maybe these days it's smoother on the software side?

Second reason is that we occassionally use that we might use that PC for the odd little desktop application. Not something that uses power, but something that'd be Windows-based most likely.

The third reason is that I was secretly hoping to build one of these pretty little media center cases. But apparently you can get cute little 'tower' mini cases for your pi too that just look adorable, which might be even better:

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 12, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Just take a look at how adorable these are :psyduck:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I originally didn't want a Shield because I thought it's a walled garden. But it occurs to me that I could probably sideload the Brave browser onto it, which would give me an ad blocker as well as the ability to stream from a bunch of web-based streaming sites (like kissasian). I'll look into that. I think it boils down to either a Nvidia shield or a mini ITX PC.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

We actually had Netflix and YouTube running through KODI on the Pi but the user experience was really not what we were looking for. When we fall on the couch we don't really have the patience to figure out which plugin isn't running correctly, or navigating around the KODI interface to find what we want.

If it's just playing media, I guess the shield is exactly what we need. Only thing that holds me back is that we like to use the browser a lot on the TV or use some light desktop program, like emulating some retro console or very light office work. So that's why I'm hesitant to give up a desktop OS.

Plus, these (thin) mini itx cases are really cute. I found a couple that would look real nice. I also saw that there are a bunch of cheap mainboards that come with an onboard CPU and integrated graphics. Haven't looked far yet, but I guess at least some of these ought to be performant enough. Also trawling eBay right now.

I think I'll work out one or two mini itx media PCs, and compare that to a shield, and discuss that with my girlfriend.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Romes128 posted:

You can make a pretty good NUC sized system with a case like the IN WIN B1.

Oooh that thing is cute. And with the integrated PSU the price is also pretty okay. Would like hella nice in a media center. Adding a Mainboard with integrated cpu and or cpu with igpu and that'd make a media center I guess

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm really charmed by the Inwin B1someone posted in this thread. It's exactly what I'm looking for in a HTPC build. It's still very small, can be used vertically and horizontally, and when put in a media cabinet, some RGB on the CPU or ram would actually look nice. I can't wait for AMD APU prices to get down a bit because I want to build one for our TV shelf.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

For me it's the 50's green one.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I think the purple comes from all the retro wave / synthwave / vaporware aesthetic from the last decade

Orange I don't know. But I've repeatedly seen orange on gaming accessories and cases. I like machines that are coated in a very intense, deep orange. Weird attraction.

The green one would fit better into our living room though.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

IMO makes sense to have a SFF with pre-packaged cooling and power. Getting these as a carefree surefire package removes a lot of the hassle associated with the form factor.

Only hope the components are good enough, but cooler master certainly has the capability.

Only downside is you won't be recycling te most reusable parts of your old computer. I guess that narrows the target demographic a bit. On the other hand it might also appeal to people who otherwise wouldn't have built a SFF in the first place.

I hope it turns out well for them. I like the idea of buying a well thought out kit.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Regarding the NR200p - apparently you can fit the colourful panels of the NR200 to it. Would be pretty neat if you could get these for the NR200p as well.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

The United States posted:

What if an ever expanding top hat to allow for ever expanding CPU CLC radiators (and ever expanding GPUs)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2APNNZhX6i4

I will say though that "ultra fine" mesh does not look that fine

I'm sensing some "practical -- affordable -- reliable: pick 2" meme incoming

e: neat, a fitting snipe for the thread

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Jeff Fatwood posted:

https://youtu.be/KLGfeiMdi1Q

I don't know where else to post this.

you can post it right into my veins

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Shaocaholica posted:

Are there itty bitty AMD APU cases? Even if its OEM? I think Lenovo has some but who else?

You looking for just any case that fits an APU buld or a complete setup? Because if you're looking for a case, I took a liking to the In Win B1. I had almost bulit it but unfortunately we ended up having no space and use for it after all.

The feet are detachable so you can also lie it flat. There's also a white version that replaces the glass with wood, which gives it a really good living room vibe.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I am sorry if I turn this into a derail since I know micro ATX isn't really SFF anymore in most cases.

But I disagree with the statement that micro ATX isn't useful. It cuts off a good chunk from the mainboard and the cases in particular are a really good blend between functionality and size. This will depend heavily on how you use it though. My cmopouter stands on my desk, and a functional shape is really useful there.

If I want a full size ATX board, my only options at this moment seem to be mid towers (too tall for me) or huge cubes, which are too tall and too wide. I have a fractal node 804 at the moment. It's low enough that I can still comfortably put things on it if my work space gets cluttered. And while it is a little wide, it is compatible full size PSUs and GPUs and the build process is a breeze.

That all being said -- next year I'm looking towards some hardware upgrades. Are there any rivals to the Fractal Define Node 804 right now that give similar usefulness in a slightly smaller package? I don't need drive bays, for instance.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I think that depends on the state of the vendor. I believe I heard that amazon chose its location specifically so that it could service most of the US without paying sales tax as it wouldn't have to pay sales tax for out-of-state sales. In essence it had (legally) the same tax advantage AliExpress had (illegally) until a short time ago. But I'm recalling through several layers of foggy memory.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You absolutely pay sales tax, if you live in a state that has it. Some online retailers in the past have used the fact that they're based in no-tax states to get around this, but all the major ones have been bullied into charging sales tax. Physical retail stores in a state with tax have to charge it otherwise they will get in some very serious trouble. If you do manage to find a retailer that doesn't charge you tax (there are still some), you are required to report that on your taxes and pay it then. This is the thing that absolutely nobody does.

That said, sales tax in the US is thankfully pretty mild. It ranges from around 5 - 10%, with some states being 0%.

Ah see someone wrote something smarter than me.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Is there any site that does PC case reviews at a similar quality & consistency level go GN, but with smaller cases?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

e: wait how is the display working when the tower isn't plugged in

This would sit in my local electronics shop with a printed sign saying "No this cannot run Minecraft, do not buy it for Minecraft"

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Zero VGS posted:

The genius who built one of my PC cases just did a fuckin' awesome SSF build with his brother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FW2prXhIis

Carbon fiber, titanium, oiled wood, 3.4 liters with an RTX A2000 and full AC GaN PSU in it. He also shared the project files.

this is beautiful

shrike82 posted:

I’m considering building an air cooled Intel 13700K/7700X + 4090 AIO machine that can sit on a desk - this would purely be for gaming

The SSUPD meshlicious looks interesting - are there any other tall but small base area cases out there?

Phantek evolve shift?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

NZXT H1 for $200: https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-H1-Version-CS-H11BB-US-Form-Factor/dp/B09R8RVMPJ/

That's a very good price considering the case comes with a 750W SFX PSU, a 140mm AIO, and a PCIe 4.0 riser cable. It's not the best ITX case on the market, but as a bundle, it's a good value that might be well-suited for a midrange SFF system.

drat, I just googled it and it is sold at about €380 in EU. That is a steal.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

They should make a little page where you get a slider and you get some examples what fits in there

But yeah I was just going to post this. It looks amazing aesthetically, looks good to work in, seems to have plenty of air, and doesn't even cost that much for something that you buy once a decade. What do you guys think?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Making fans of metal sounds like something that draws a lot of power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hm. I feel like metal fans are just a new and exciting way to hurt myself when working in the case.

One potential advantage could be that you can now sharpen the blades :black101: