Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Josh Sniffen of NFC gave me the tracking number for the NFC S4 Mini case he shipped out to me.

He also posted a casual comparison of a bunch of different low profile CPU fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuUGfql2BmM

The shocking bit is that the Thermaltake Engine 27 is louder, hotter, and more expensive than a copper Zalman cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Is it me or is the ASRock Z270 looking like a better motherboard than their Gaming branded version this time around?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157742

The Z270 has an M.2 slot on the front, 6 USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0, two Intel NICs, Intel Wireless card (!)

The Gaming version is down the 2 USB 2.0 ports, down a NIC, M.2 on the back (have to take apart your case if you ever need to switch it out), it has a more premium audio board (but I use digital audio over my HDMI or Xbox conroller anyway) and it has Thunderbolt 3...

I think I'd make more use of the USB ports and dual NIC on the non-Gaming than I would use the Thunderbolt 3 on the gaming version.

Speaking of Thunderbolt 3, where the gently caress are the optical cables for it? They have them for Thunderbolt 2 but TB3 Optical didn't even show up for CES.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The Zotac GTX 1080 Mini is starting to show up in stock at various online vendors:

http://www.shopblt.com/item/zotac-zt-p10800h-10p-geforce-gtx-1080-mini/zotac_ztp10800h10p.html

If you have a super-small ITX case like the S4 Mini, it's by far the strongest card you can fit.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

The cooler appears to extend 4cm past the end of the ITX sized board. Is there any chance it will actually fit?

Good question, this guy is going to find out the hard way apparently: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/nfc-systems-s4-mini.96/page-76#post-29920

Also, my own S4 Mini just arrived:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a pic of my case with the power switch and HDPlex DC-DC installed, and the wrap around aluminum slab bezel removed:

One awesome thing I didn't realize is there is a cutout in the chassis for the GPU. The intent was if your GPU would just barely fit, you could remove the bezel and use that to help you slide the GPU in then back, and reattach the bezel.

I think what I might do however, is leave the bezel off. Then I could have a huge GPU sticking out of the case if I needed. Something like reference blower with backplate wouldn't be too vulnerable to damage. The bezel is some serious aluminum and weighs over a pound, so leaving it off makes sense if I mount this PC to the back of my monitor and still keep my Ergotron for being weighed down.

According to the guy who makes this case, you can buy VHT vinyl dye to recolor the PSU wires to anything else you want, and the dye actually soaks into the wiring to bond permanently: https://smile.amazon.com/VHT-SP942-Vinyl-Black-Satin/dp/B000CPIN9S

knox_harrington posted:

I really like this case. What PSU and graphics card are you going to stick in?

Just watched a few videos and it looks like you need a massive power brick if you want ~200W.

I already have an HDPlex PSU to go in it, that can do 400w peak and maintains 250-300w no problem. I have an external Dell brick that does 330w, or I can use a battery pack (I have one I can use for VR backpack purposes).

For GPU, I'm probably going to try out the Zotac GTX 1080 Mini, $610: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500414

Malcolm XML posted:

external DC-DC psus are cool and good, i would rather have a giant rear end power brick under my desk than on it

Technically, the external brick would be the AC-DC converter, and the internal PSU is the HDPlex DC-DC converter.

I feel this combo is the way to go for SFF, for several reasons:

- External AC-DC brick sits out of sight on the floor, and doesn't contribute waste heat to the rest of the system

- Emerging technologies such as "wide-bandgap" semiconductors https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide-bandgap_semiconductor are enabling much smaller and more efficient AC-DC converters, such as this 65w laptop charger: https://smile.amazon.com/FINsix-Smallest-Universal-Accessory-Lightweight/dp/B01KJ4DOOA so in time we could have 300+ watt AC-DC adapters that can fit in the case or be inline with the plug you'd need anyways

- You don't need the AC-DC converter at all if you have a suitable battery. This could be a battery pack (i.e. VR backpack) or if you're running the PC of your 12v car battery for example. The HDPlex doesn't seem to support 12v input though, which is too bad, but there's plenty of car-audio oriented Pico PSUs that do.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 29, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

lock stock and Cheryl posted:

A lot of the smallest systems I see have either like 350w (tops) flATX PSUs or like 200w DC-DC PSUs. What kind of components can you run with that kind of power budget? Everyone tells me that a 450w 80+ psu is the bare minimum for an i5 + 1070 gaming rig. Can you even run a 1050 with one power brick? Do you need a separate power brick + DC-DC PSU for the GPU itself?

A 240w Dell laptop brick with the HDPlex can run a GTX 1070 (tdp 150w) with something like a Skylake i5 7600 (65w) and have enough left for an nvme drive and the usual accessories. The Dell 240w can run a bit above spec if it stays cool, as can any DC-DC converters.

Just don't try to overclock everything or it will get out of hand and possibly make your PC power off.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Grrr, I scoured the internet and there's still no such thing as VLP (Very Low Profile) DDR4 desktop ram.

Like, for Haswell I got these guys that were amazing for fitting coolers into the case: https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-DDR3-1600-PC3-12800-BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0/dp/B00A14ZTWE

Nothing like that in DDR4 non-ECC yet though. Tons of it for ECC (server) ram but nothing that will run on a desktop.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Got my Zotac GTX 1080 Mini today:

If I take the wraparound bezel off my S4 Mini (it's basically just an aesthetic piece), the thing fits with a few millimeters sticking out. I'm probably going to make a plate to cover up the end of the GPU if I wind up going with this GPU.

S4 Mini case with this GPU is easily the most powerful PC in the smallest space in the world, at least until someone makes a Thunderbolt dock where you stick a NUC and GPU together in it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

How do your temps look with the panels on? How's the fan noise?

I wouldn't know, I can't find an ASRock Z270 Gaming motherboard for sale.

That's the kind with the Thunderbolt 3 port, it's the only ITX mobo that has one so I kind of want it for futureproofing.

The fan noise is probably the biggest challenge of the case but I'm up for it. I can fit a CPU cooler up to 45mm, so I got a very low heatsink (23mm) and I'm going to try combining it with either a 140x13mm fan, or a 180x18mm fan, those were the two thinnest I could find in those sizes. The large diameters help a ton I've always found.

The slots in the panels are pretty big so I'd imagine it wouldn't make much of a difference for air flow since I'm orienting the case vertically.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 2, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

silence_kit posted:

Reading about this more, it is possible that GaN homo-epitaxially grown devices on the GaN wafers, which are needed to make the highest voltage and highest power devices might still not be ready for prime time. I'm not sure which is the harder technical problem--production of the bulk GaN wafer or the device engineering of the vertical GaN FETs.

Both white LEDs/blue lasers and GaN RF devices and chips are produced in different ways/use slightly different manufacturing technologies than what is needed for the highest power devices.

I didn't understand most of those words, but are you saying that the leap from the 65w Dart chargers into say, 500w ATX PSUs is difficult? Or just that we're a long way off from using the tech on multi kilowatt electric car chargers? I actually have an interest in both.

Edit: Found this while googling... 95% efficient AC-DC 240w GaN evaluation board from ON Semiconductor, 3 in stock, seems like one could make a killer PSU out of that if they had the knowhow: http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/evalBoard.do?id=NCP1397GANGEVB

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 2, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm looking at your pics again, and I almost feel like if you cut down the plastic shroud a little and bent some of the fins, you'd be able to fit the wrap piece on.

You'd have to unscrew the shroud, bend the fins a little, and file the fan blades because they go like 2mm past the heatsink.

That's OK though, I wasn't super attached to the wrap piece. I was going to try mounting this whole piece behind my monitor, and try to keep under the Ergotron's 25lbs weight limit, and the wrap bezel is a little over a pound, it weights about as much as rest of the case combined.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Photex posted:

everything is available for my build...except my Metis Plus case :negative:

speaking of builds, https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Photex/saved/sWbjXL

any critiques?

Why are you buying a no-name "MyDigitalSSD" 512gb m.2 drive for $200 from NewEgg Marketplace when a 500gb m.2 850 Evo is $167 on NewEgg directly?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Grundulum posted:

I looked up the device. It's an NVMe drive. How much are 500GB EVO 960s going for these days?

$50 more... considering Samsung and 3-year warranty I'd spring for that.

Just because the MyDigitalStoarage is an NVMe drive doesn't mean it'll match up in benchmarks. For all we know it could be slower than the non-NVME 850 Evo.

But that's just the thing, no one knows, because as far as I can see there's no benchmarks for it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

The takeaway is it performs the same as the 960 Evo, and actually has a longer claimed warranty and endurance for $50 less.

The only scary looking thing is it seems to be an energy hog and runs very hot. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it I guess.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Coldforge posted:

Crossposting from the parts picker thread:

Does anyone have any experience with MSI's Aegis X barebones? I understand it's a little more pricey than buying everything separately, but I found one at discount + they're offering a $50 rebate right now (would be $350 after the rebate arrives). Just wondering about the quality / reliability of the components.

Everything seems nice except the motherboard has Killer NIC+Wifi, they have dicey drivers compared to Intel or Realtek. But besides that the motherboard is nice and even has front-facing USB-C, and you're getting a nice small case with carrying handle, a decent PSU that'll handle any modern GPU, included CPU water cooler, and the whole thing is probably umbrella'ed under a single warranty, right? Seems solid for $350.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SamDabbers posted:

Looks aside, I'd pass because of the apparently non-standard PSU, which could make sourcing a replacement after the 1 year warranty period challenging.

The PSU is standard. Specifically, it is the "Flex ATX" standard. They are a bit exotic to use for desktops but it is the most common PSU for 1U server chassis. Any of these would (probably, as long as the cable lengths are OK) work as drop-in replacements:

https://smile.amazon.com/FSP-Solution-24-Pin-efficiency-FSP400-70LQ/dp/B01N4IGM0O

Edit: The only downside to Flex PSU is that it uses a really small and therefore loud (40mm) fan because of the orientation. An SFX-L power supply takes up about the same volume but gets a 120mm fan instead since it goes along the bottom instead of out the side.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 5, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SamDabbers posted:

Holy poo poo that case is hideous :psypop:

I knew I recognized it from somewhere...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I did a delid on a Haswell i7, just clamped the IHS to bench vice, put a block of wood against the pcb and lightly tapped with a hammer until it came loose.

Then I lapped the IHS with a jewelry polishing wheel and replaced all the TIM with NT-H1 and dropped like 10c

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
ASRock published specs on their new Mini-STX motherboard with MXM:

http://www.asrock.com/ipc/overview.asp?Model=H110-STX%20MXM

It's... interesting. It says the GPU TDP is capped at 120w, that's not great if there's no good way to push past that. On the other hand, it has Thunderbolt 3, and two M.2 SSD slots.

Seems like one Mini-STX case exists so far?:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163360

I assume they're going to coordinate with vendors to actually make some off-the-shelf MXM GPU's available for a non-exorbitant price?

Edit:

You can get a GTX 1080 MXM card (for ~$1300 from Eurocom) with an auxilliary power port to take it up to 250w. Now how the gently caress are you gonna cool it? Awesome though: http://www.eurocom.com/ec/release(350)ec

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 8, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Photex posted:

Welp someone stole my M.2 SSD and another package off my door step :suicide:

Amazon is known to refund people for that, and it is also very likely that your credit card has a theft/damage protection clause that will cover you as well. One of my coworkers bought a brand new MacBook and left it in an Uber, I told him to check with his credit card and they wound up refunding more than half the price back to him he got over $1000 back.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Which Ergotron? I'm using the MX with a display that's a bit larger than it's rated for and it works fine, there might be a little bit of leeway with weight as well.

Mine's an LX which should be good between 20-25 pounds, but thanks for pointing out the MX, maybe I'll upgrade to that if I can't get the whole thing light enough.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Right? I love that dork. I was the first person to receive and cram the Zotac 1080 into that case but someone else bought one and mailed it straight to him, so he went off the fitment notes I posted and he engineered an acrylic faceplate. It's like we're all trailblazing the SFF world together. Others in that thread posted up outlines for laser cutting the faceplates so I'm probably going to go up the street to the local laser cutting shop and try it out.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

jokes posted:

Problem with the S4 Mini is simply that there are no meshes so it's gonna get real dusty (I think) and the power supply is gonna be a hassle. I'd rather not deal with a power brick or whatever. Plus it looks like it belongs in a machine shop.

Also the problem is that they're out of stock I guess. :smith:

Buy this for $50 and never speak of dust again: https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B01BI4UQK0/

"it looks like it belongs in a machine shop" is that supposed to mean not awesome? I don't get it.

Like, I own one that I'm still building up, it is rock solid though. The power supply is not a hassle, you just chuck it behind your desk, and take it with you if you're traveling, like you would with a laptop.

I don't know why people are down on the laptop bricks, hell people pay extra money for a fanless desktop PSU when every laptop PSU is fanless and has it's own ruggedized shell.

Truth be told, just as I'm close to finishing this S4 build, that drat ASRock MXM motherboard comes along and I'm seriously considering paying the MXM GPU tax for that because it's practically a NUC-sized GTX 1080 PC that is upgradable... need to talk myself out of it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
If anyone was looking at slim 140mm fans, I bought both the Raijintek Aeolus https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66Z28S3551 and the Cryorig CR-XTA https://smile.amazon.com/Cryorig-CR-XTA-140mm-Profile-System/dp/B00IAPV5YW

Both are 140mm by 13mm thin, the thinnest I could find. I used calipers though and the Raijintek was 13.6mm thick while the Cryorig was 12.9mm. The Cryorig also had much nicer packaging, aesthetics, and featured ball bearings on some kind of rubber anti-vibration mount for the fan, while the Raijintek used a plain sleeve bearing. They are both inaudible at my PC's RPM settings though. They're the same price so I'd say the Cryorig is a much better value.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

FlyingCheese posted:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16388

Is this a good deal for an ultra low budget SFF PC? I mainly just want to throw linux on it, use it as a Plex/torrent/file server. I don't need a lot of power for gaming as I have a gaming rig for a desktop, I'd like to use the Steam In Home Streaming too, is it powerful enough for that? I'm probably going to throw another 4GB of ram in it and maybe an SSD.

This is $170, fanless, and is the size of a smartphone: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722004

We use them at work and I have one at home for streaming, it has a Skylake CPU in it so it has very robust encoding/decoding.

It has a 4-hour battery on it if you want to move it around between rooms, and it has 4gb ram and 64gb emmc flash, with an SD card expansion slot.

I've always run Windows on it, as you can see from the reviews some Linux users have success and some not so much. Did I mention it's $170?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEG_F-VF5pg

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 19, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

That's Cherry Trail, not Skylake. Hardware encoding support might be similar but CPU capabilities are not at all, it's a low-power tablet/phone processor.

If you're going to get an old desktop for an HTPC I'd reach a generation newer and get a quad-core Sandy Bridge instead of a dual-core Lynnfield for not much price difference.

I mean yeah it's an Atom chip, Cherry Trail, sorry, I use Skylake to mean "14nm", as in super power efficient. With Prime95 I think it was capping out at 15 watts which explains how they can have it passively cooled.

Edit: It is four actual cores that can burst to 2.24ghz, it's no slouch: https://ark.intel.com/m/products/85474/Intel-Atom-x5-Z8500-Processor-2M-Cache-up-to-2_24-GHz

Edit 2: Dedicated HEVC decoding as well.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 20, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Atomizer posted:

All of the manufacturers have some kind of business-class SFF. For that price I'd suggest something with a much newer CPU like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...-gAAOSwdGFYpzcD

The Kangaroo is passively cooled and is noted for overheating and throttling; read the comments where users mention turning a room fan on it to keep it cool. They do otherwise work, but it's a shame that you can't get the Plus model with the Pro dock.

Like I said I bought several dozen Kangaroo for work, I had one overheat because we placed it behind a TV that was up against a wall so it was dealing with hot ambient air plus itself... I'm sure there's some other ways to overheat one but if you place it in an open area away from other hot stuff it'll run for months without issue.

That said, the Thinkcentre you posted is a very nice value if you don't need the Kangaroo's pocket-sized/fanless bulletpoints.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mooktastical posted:

Quoted from the parts picking thread, as this is all SFF-specific:

Heat/overclocking are pretty much it. For CPU cooler, you're limited to 58mm for height. A Thermalright AXP-100, ID-Cooling IS-60, or Scythe Big Shuriken 2 rev. B would probably be your best bet as far as CPU cooler goes.

CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING IS-60 53.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.98 @ Newegg Marketplace)

Pro tip, you can get the IS-60 heatsink like you linked, and then switch out the 120x15mm fan for a Cryorig 140x13mm fan: https://www.amazon.com/Cryorig-CR-XTA-140mm-Profile-System/dp/B00IAPV5YW

That would almost certainly perform better and more quietly, and be 2mm thinner for a better air gap from the top of the case. I'm using the Crorig fan with a mismatched heatsink in the S4 Mini case and it is working well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I own all three of the fans in the comparison you posted, they are all pretty great and quiet. Note that while the Aeolus is claimed to perform the best in those tests, it's the only fan out of the three that uses a plain sleeve bearing, so I don't know if it'd have the longevity of the others.

Also, I took a caliper to all of them, the Ultra Sleek is 15mm as claimed, and the other two fans are supposed to be 13mm, but the Aeolus is actually 13.4mm and the Cryorig is 12.9mm. So if you have a really tight fit, that's good to know.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

buglord posted:

Needs a little more....mass production. :( It costs a pretty penny too. I know this is a total beggars choosers situation because this is niche within niche here.

I paid $200 for an S4 Mini (got bells and whistles like vandal-proof power button and flexible silicon riser) and it was worth every penny. But, if you can't afford that, the Logic Supply MC600 is $100, but it's much clunkier:

https://www.logicsupply.com/mc600/

Here's a comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hb44iOQmbY

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 23, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

buglord posted:

Yeah it seems so. I didnt expect to pay a premium for literally just shortened cables. But also it seems like different PSU's support different cables, which means theres like 20 different ATX cables out there specifically for certain PSUs. Id imagine that has something to do with the price. I thought these were all universal.

ATX PSUs can have lots of different pinouts The motherboard pins have to be standard, but on the receiving end of the PSU it can be wired all different ways.

You can simply buy an ATX pin removal tool, cables, pins, and a crimper. One wire at a time, remove and replace with a shorter cable that you crimp the pins to yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/Konsait-Modding-Removal-Computer-Connector/dp/B0171RDCWW/

Pretty much every brand of these pin removal tools gets panned for breaking, so you gotta be real dainty with them.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 27, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Coredump posted:

I wonder if it would be better to stick with a gtx 1080 for the 180w power draw vs the 1080ti with 250w draw for an Ncase M1. I game at 1440p at the moment if that helps.

The 1080ti is 220w TDP, not 250w. I don't think 40w would make any difference in an NCase, just better performance.

I'm getting one for my S4, since I currently max out at 270w with the 1080, and the newer HDPlex does 300w with a 400w peak it should be fine.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MaxxBot posted:

What are some Mini-ITX options that are small but still large enough to accommodate something like an overclocked 7700k and an overclocked open cooler 1080Ti? I like the Node 202 a lot but from what I have seen that's probably too much hardware for such a small case, I'd like something large enough so that I don't have to worry about anything throttling.

I'm technically doing that:

It's like 13"x11"x2" right now. Yes I can put the side panel on, then it looks like a normal case with a hotrod GPU :dong: sticking out

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The core v1 supports heatsinks up to 140mm in height. I'm sure there some good ones that size.

I wish they made a Core X0.5 with the same top panel radiator options but shorter.

You can also use a CLC with 140mm radiator on the Core V1 and mount the rad to the front so the giant 200mm fan cools it, I've done that with several of them and it works awesome.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

Probably because it's like 3 times larger and doesn't add much utility because he doesn't need a SFX PSU. What happened to you 1080, Zero?

Returned with NewEgg Premier for a no-hassle full refund, got the EVGA 1080 instead so that I could Step Up to the 1080ti for free in a week or two.

Edit: The Zotac Mini is a nice size and runs cool, but crazy loud fans at idle that you can't turn down below 37% speed, and really loud coil whine. The EVGA has much quieter fans that can go passive, and it has coil whine but no where near as loud.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

m.hache posted:

I'm looking to build a new media PC that can support 4k video once I upgrade my TV. What's the smallest and most cost effective system I can build? Not looking for a full build but some ideas of where to start would be great.

I have a 2.5" SSD I'm looking to reuse but everything else will be new. Looking to get it onto a shelf with roughly 10" of clearance space between it and the next shelf.

For $380 you can get a NUC off Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B018Q0GN60

You can get the NUC6i5SYH (SYH is what you want, it has space to use your 2.5" drive, don't get the SYK it only takes M.2 drives)

You'd only need to add a couple DDR4 SODIMM ram sticks and install an OS and you'd be good to go. It is a Skylake laptop CPU that can more than handle 4K video.

The even newer Kaby Lake version is up for preorder, which has HEVC full decode so it officially supports 4K Netflix:

http://www.shopblt.com/item/intel-boxnuc7i5bnh-boxed-nuc-kit-nuc7i5bnh/intel_boxnuc7i5bnhh.html#Availability

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

Kaby Lake NUCs are available now, so you don't need to wait or get an adapter.

Looks like only the i3 but I guess that's still plenty for media serving.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

I was thinking about doing an 8-bay NAS build in the U-NAS NSC-810 case. I don't need a ton of power, a HDD only takes about 4W each (32W total), plus an i3/Pentium (54W), plus at least another 50W for future expansion. So something like 160W capacity would be plenty, and 200-300W would be more than enough. I would like to have at least one free Molex for the future expansion, and ideally at least a GPU 6-pin as well if not a 6+2.

I was wondering about DC-DC PSUs for this. Is this something I could reasonably accomplish with a 160W PicoPSU or one of those 300W HDPlex units?

The case you describe supports Flex-ATX, like this gold-rated PSU: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9PV4W69385

That would cost less than having to buy both an HDPlex 300w ($85) and a 240w or 330w AC power brick ($50-$100)

The only advantage to using the HDPlex 300w would be no noise. The specs page is here: http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-300W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html

As long as the 8 HDD you have draws less amps than the full load current listed on that page it should work. I think typical wiring is thick enough that added resistance from a longer cable is negligible, but if you're that worried you could get some molex crimps/sockets and make a single 8 HDD chain, then use common molex-sata adapters (Amazon sells cheap multipacks) for the final run to each HDD.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Reminds me of the Macintosh LC III, "pizza box form factor".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fruit Chewy posted:

On a scale of 1 to "totally not loving worth it", how much of a pain is the accelero? I'm debating between getting a EVGA 1080ti SC2 and just dealing with the slightly subpar thermals/acoustics or going whole hog founders edition plus accelero. Not feeling super amazing about pasting cheap little heatsinks onto a $700 PCB though.

The Accelero comes with thermal glue, but you can grab some 3M thermal tape from Amazon for cheap which will work about as well and isn't permanent. I don't know why they don't bundle thermal tape with that cooler.