Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

They did it, the absolute mad lads...

At least if their going to do a proprietary elongation of ITX they went with the direction that my chonker 3080 extends in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Have a very ITX question to ask: from the surface of a Ryzen 5000 in it's socket, down to the surface of a PC case (where the hexagonal part of the motherboard standoff screws meet the case chassis) exactly how many millimeters would that be? I know exactly how many millimeters my CPU heatsink-fan is, so I need to know to what all the other required space takes up so I can make a case that fits precisely.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
This seems to be a VRM heatsink that I just took off my motherboard. It is the only thing between me and squeezing a 120x15mm Noctua fan onto the underside of my Black Ridge CPU cooler.

Do you think I can get away with replacing that heatsink with one I make myself from taking a 10mm tall M.2 SSD heatsink and trimming/filing it down then driling a couple holes so I can mount it to the same holes? Would 10mm fall fins be fine there? I have no idea how many watts those VRMs (shown on the left side of the picture with thermal residue) can put out but it found it odd the stock heatsink is way taller than the passive X570 chipset heatsink (shown at bottom of picture).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

You can see if the motherboard exposes VRM temps, otherwise do you have a temp gun or sensors you could stick to them? All the wattage for your CPU goes through those, so they could be disappating a considerable amount of heat from shoving 150+W through them--a "good" temp is usually around 60C, with poor implementations hitting 90+.

The X570 chipset is only supposed to draw like 10W, so it needs a lot less cooling.

Anyhow, it's hard to say what will or will not be sufficient, especially since lower fin cross section can be made up for by better airflow (or vice versa), and I have no idea how much air it'll be getting with your setup. Try it and see? Worst that happens is temp skyrocket (have a sensor to be able to see this!) and the whole system throttles because the VRMs start choking off the power so they don't cook themselves.

Are those cheap infrared thermometer guns accurate if aimed at heatsinks (not sure if the reflectiveness of aluminum is a problem)?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
To be sure, there exists no CPU cooler at 37mm or shorter than can in any way compete with the Noctua L9I, correct? The only other thing that comes to mind is the Engine 27 but I returned that because it was loud as a jet and hotter than the sun.

CaptainPsyko posted:

This is literally what the Intel NUC project is about essentially.

(And, thus, under the hood, what the KFC Console is.)

Replace all computers with KFConsoles honestly, that is the true endgame and pinnacle of human achievement.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to brainstorm here. I have a 120mm Noctua Redux fan, and a Black Ridge cooler. The cooler came with some wire clips to hold the fan, but they weren't sized for undermounting a 15mm fan so they hold it pretty loosely:

I need a way to really clamp that fan onto the heatsink securely, as this will be a backpack PC so it'll be undergoing some motion and I don't want the fan to be jostled. I'm making a cutout in my case to "hotrod" the top of the heatsink so it is flush with the acrylic surface, so I want to leave that looking clean too. Is there some kind of 3M VHB tape that'll put up with the heat, or maybe some long strip of heat shrink tubing to go around the entire thing and shrink to bind them together? Something else I'm not thinking of maybe?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Canna Happy posted:

The clip on the left is backwards maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk4TXJ3fSWM&t=542s

maybe you could run a twist tie across the bottom to draw the clips tighter when you flip that one around?

In that guy's video you can see he's using some pads to further hold the fan away from the heatsink, allowing him to increase the clip tension and also offset the fan... hmm, not sure what material he's using for that.

DrDork posted:

Would it be possible to drill through the heatsink? Then you could just slide a bolt through the hole and put a washer on the bolt head/nut (your choice) and it'd be retained quite well.

Alternately, same idea but with the thin-style black zipties: thread them through the screw hold on the fan and some of the fins on the heatsink, tighten appropriately.

Yeah I don't wanna drill through it. Tiny zipties could work but I've known the thin ones to always be brittle/fragile so I wouldn't trust them subjected to time and heat.

edit:

Found this adapter for sale, for $15 shipped... maybe this is worth a shot. Seems like it gives me the offset I wanted as well: https://j-hackcompany.com/?product=noctua-nh-l9-120mm-fan-adapter

Interesting site too, they have a lot of weird SFF stuff.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 7, 2021

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Introducing looooooong ITX:

6.6" x 20", just use a ribbon riser to wrap a GPU around to the other side of it and you have 128 cores in a few liters

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=ROME2D16HM3#Specifications

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Stimperor posted:

Considering to get myself one of these mini itx boards with an inboard cpu as a living room Netflix/Spotify machine

If all you want is Netflix and Spotify I think just a Raspberry Pi 4 can handle that? Would cost $40-60 instead of $400-600.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Rexxed posted:

I picked up an Intel NUC on ebay. It's broadwell and had no SSD or power supply so it was $75. I used a universal laptop charger I had spare for the power brick and put in a 250 GB NVMe for $40. Set top box just running windows.

That too, I use Intel nucs at work. They have a 3-year warranty from original date of purchase so if you can get one that's used but only like a year old and get the receipt, Intel will back you up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Oh loving goody, had to spend $47 on a price-gouged TPM module so I could upgrade to W11, and I can't fit the loving thing into my ITX pc because Asrock makes it an inch long and it hits my CPU fan:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265261897405

I guess all I can do is try to desolder the connector and hook up some ribbon cable to it so I can turn it 90 degrees then tuck it in?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Collateral Damage posted:

I'd just skip Windows 11. Windows 10 has been great, which by Microsoft's tick-gently caress cycle means 11 will be hot garbage.

As an IT person who has dealt with this for decades, I actually caught on to the pattern and was talking about it by the time Vista was out.

With that said, 11 seems like an OS update in name only. I think they just want to look as if they haven't all been Toobin' for the entirety of Covid.

edit:

Ah what the gently caress, I didn't even need to buy that scalped TPM module anyway. Apparently you can just update your BIOS and the newest CPUs can give you TPM 2.0 without the dongle. It just worked for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/o7a16s/psa_windows_11_and_the_tpm_20_requirement/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The genius who built one of my PC cases just did a fuckin' awesome SSF build with his brother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FW2prXhIis

Carbon fiber, titanium, oiled wood, 3.4 liters with an RTX A2000 and full AC GaN PSU in it. He also shared the project files.