Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Does standard ram like Vengeance and Ballistix count as low profile for fitting underneath a Black Ridge cooler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Canna Happy posted:

You need to have vlp ram to fit under the Black Ridge when using a 120mm fan mounted below. It looks like there is 33mm of clearance when you use a 92mm below or a fan on top. So your normal small heatsink ram like lpx or sport lt will fit in the two later configs.

Black Ridge on a z390 phantom with corsair lpx.
https://i.imgur.com/lRPpYUi.jpg

Thanks. It was the 120mm fan mode I was interested in, I'm really struggling to find any vlp ram in the UK.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Velka 5 preorders went live at 11pm and within 2 minutes only black was left and with no riser bundle plus no support bracket. Rather disappointing, makes it too pricey once shipping and import tax is added. Back to the drawing board.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Has anyone got any experience with a Geeek A40? I know the A50 hasn't reviewed well but the 40 is quite a bit cheaper and still fits everything i'd be interested in (SFX psu, dual fan 1660 super or similar etc).

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Canna Happy posted:

I think all the geeek cases are weak because they all use that same x bar to mount the panels. I don't think the cougar qbx or the sg13 can be beat in the budget area.

I really like the vertical form factor to reduce the footprint on a desk, otherwise I agree that the QBX, SG13 or Core 500 are great for the cost. If Fractal did a revamped 500 with no optical drive and a front fan mount it'd be perfect.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I managed to get myself out of the rabbit hole of small run, expensive cases (thanks in large part to the crappy Velkase experience) and settled on a standard case. So i now have the following on the way:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (£89.97 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (£104.88 @ More Computers)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£64.75 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (£90.95)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A8 PWM 32.66 CFM 80 mm Fan (£13.50 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: ARCTIC F12 PWM PST 53 CFM 120 mm Fan (£4.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: ARCTIC F12 PWM PST 53 CFM 120 mm Fan (£4.99 @ Amazon UK)
Custom: Sharkoon QB One PC-Gehäuse (Mini-ITX, 2x 2,5/3,5 interne, 2x USB 3.0/2.0) (£39.57 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £413.60

The 1600 is one of the new AF chips. For now I'll be using my old GTX 770, I'm just curious to see how the 5600XTs are. If they aren't great then i'll grab a 1660 super and an M.2 drive at some point and should be set for a while.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Canna Happy posted:

I don't know if its a big deal to you since you're using 1000/2000 chip, but people in the amd thread are having troubles with ryzen 3000 chips and that motherboard.

Thanks, yeah I posted about that in the amd thread. If I was going 3600 I'd have got a different board but for the 1600AF I figure it's fine as it won't need an update and should just work. If I ever decide to upgrade I'm hoping they'll have fixed the issue.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Arzachel posted:

The 1600 AF comes with a Stealth and not a Spire cooler, which has less clearance. Those ram sticks should probably be fine, but I had some with some flares on the heatsinks and accidentally popped the closest heatsink off when putting together my system. Also, having only M.2 drives makes building in sff cases way less of a pain, 2.5" and sata cables are the devil.

QB One can take 150mm coolers so that's not a problem. If it's getting too warm i'll stick in an H7 or Fuma or something. I'm reusing current storage to keep costs down but will grab a Rocket M.2 or similar soon. Good info on the ram, I'll take extra care when installing them.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
My first SFF build is complete! Kind of. My new GPU arrived today and it was an incredibly tight fit in my QB One case to the point where the port covers were stopping it fitting, but I got it in. However, I didn't realise the HDMI port on my monitor was in fact a DP port, and I have no DP cables so I can't fire it all up until tomorrow. Fitting the new GPU gave me a chance to tidy up the cables from when I initially built it at the weekend as I hadn't really given it much thought as I went and it ended up a mess. Overall it's been a massively frustrating experience due to a screwed sata cable but I've loved it and am now trying to talk my wife into trying a small case so I can build another one.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

orcane posted:

Yeah this. Some cases are more "small form" than others, sometimes you can fit a small tower cooler that will stay relatively quiet (unless you're trying to run overclocked Ryzen 3950X or i9 9900Ketc. CPUs), in others you can still achieve quiet operation with some 50mm top-down cooler as long as you limit the CPU to some low-TDP model or set strict limits in the BIOS. The same is true for GPUs, a few SFF cases take 2.5 slot models that run fairly quiet, others are limited to smaller cards and a RTX 2080 Ti in two slots is just going to be somewhat noisy, but a RTX 2060 or below might not be.

And watercooling isn't necessarily going to help because if you don't have room for proper air cooling you often don't have room for large radiators and large fans either, so pump noise + small fans spinning fast are still a thing.

As an example I have just built a new system of an Ryzen 1600AF and a 5600XT in a Sharkoon QB One. I'm running the processor at 3900mhz using the stock cooler at 1.3v, and the 5600XT with the uprated BIOS with GPU settings maxed out and it's essentially silent, even under load.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The new Fractal Era looks interesting and I was hoping that coming from Fractal it would be reasonably priced but nooooope.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Fractal should have just updated the Core 500 by removing the optical drive support and re-doing the front of the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
New-ish Corsair SF PSU recall.