Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
any recommendations for a NUC that can run Batocera/Lakka for emulation alongside Plex Media Server?

The Batocera wiki suggests that NUCs can be hit or miss for compatibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

njsykora posted:

Russ from Retro Game Corps tests Batocera on every mini PC he reviews and maintains a spreadsheet of performance that's pretty useful.
just what i was looking for. thank you!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
okay im getting a sliger cerberus, kraken 280mm AIO, and an asus TUFFF BOI am4 m-atx to replace my 2006 Lian Li. the PSU sitting over the CPU is gonna bug me, but i don’t care to spent another ~$200 on an stx(?) psu when my 850w corsair atx works

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mega dy posted:

They probably won't destroy everything if something goes wrong. But generally, buy from a reputable source that makes them for your specific build. There are a few vendors that have great reputations and will work with you to get it right if something is weird.
what vendors tho

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
wtf sliger really isn’t lying about that 10-day backlog :mad:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
trying to cram everything into the Sliger Cerebus is such a pain in the dick that i’m exchanging it for a Cerebus X. playing motherboard/AIO origami gets old very quick

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
finally got all the parts (minus the cable mod cables) for my Sliger Cerebus X with an mATX AM4 mobo

used a few Noctua Industrial fans I had from my old, huge case, and squeezed in some 120x15mm fans in the top and bottom front for additional intake. my ambient is high because nobody has AC in this loving town, but idle temps sit around 40-45 with 65-70 at load. you'd really have to get choosey to find a full-size ATX that would fit in this case without blocking a header, but an mATX board has just enough room to be cozy without the GPU fans sitting right on top of the AIO fans. it isn't insanely compact as the ITX cases, but it's a lot less intrusive than my ~2006 Lian Li V2100 midtower and it didn't require too much origami to put together

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

YerDa Zabam posted:

Mini pc. Mini scissors. Mini screwdriver.
Living the mini life to the max (min)
if you only knew what size the zipties i was cutting with those scissors

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Corb3t posted:

I feel like people really love their Lian Li cases, too
loved.

Lian Li went from making fancy aluminum cases with very smart design to selling mass-market $60 stamped sheet metal RBG poo poo. the only fancy case they make anymore is that collab with Dan cases, and that is famously not available. Lian Li really took a nosedive from their ~2006 engineering and build quality levels. I had a PC-1000V2 for almost 20 years and they just don't sell anything like that anymore.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cygni posted:

The Meshlicious/Meshroom are premium feeling cases from them. I’ve built in both and been really happy.
both cheap stamped steel designs. they stopped selling high end

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
it isn’t pointless elitism, you dork. the cases are obviously cheaper and made with lower quality materials.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cygni posted:

Lian Li made its original name with the expensive all aluminum monsters, but they were mostly an aesthetic fad. the aluminum didn’t really make the case BETTER than the steel Antecs that dominated the market, just a little lighter and much prettier. the “high end” case market has mostly been for people throwing money away since forever.

the Meshroom/Meshlicious are definitely “premium” cases, with their original $150+ asking prices, good fit and finish, and adjustable designs. they may not be “high end”, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing.
they were clearly Apple G5 tower copies aesthetically, but the design and engineering in them was much higher end than today. antecs dominated the market because they cost 1/3 as much. rounded/rolled edges, captive thumbscrews, removable trays for basically everything, fan brackets, and modularity were not common case features in 2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Animal posted:

Lian Li PC-61 gang represent!

I spilled so much blood building in that case. It would have lasted another 10 years of not for every single screw thread stripping
a classic. my brother still uses one. the PC series was a huge jump in case build-ability and longevity. poo poo was expensive, but drat those captive thumbscrews. RIP