Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I got lucky and snatched a Louqe Ghost S1 during the brief window when they were sold at Amazon. I have since received and put it next to my NCASE M1 for comparison.

The finish on the S1 is quite noticeably superior to the M1's anodized aluminum. The S1 seems like a sandblasted or powder coated finish very similar to that of a Razer Blade laptop. The aluminum panels also seem to be about twice as thick as the M1's. The S1 definitely looks more refined sitting on the desk.

The M1 is the more practical case though, with the front USB ports and the flexibility for cooling options right out of the box. The S1 is not as attractive with the top hat and at that point its not much smaller than the M1.
Here are some pictures of comparison:

https://imgur.com/a/j7vAxbA/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

that looks like an android le school Shuttle

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I placed two orders. It’s already sold out on Orbit which ships to the USA via UPS, and put my second order via OverclockersUK. If anyone here missed out and wants the second one to ship to me, you can have it at-cost, or I’ll just cancel the order.

Animal fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 16, 2023

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

Just curious, what is the cost?

From Computer Orbit it was $266 with shipping via UPS
From Overclockers UK it was $301 with shipping via DHL. I cancelled the other and they are refunding me $286, because of arbitrage?

So yeah, not cheap. But if this is gonna be anything like the NCASE M1 was for me, it'll last me 8 years or longer.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Warmachine posted:

"Minimalist aluminum box" is a style that never really goes out, and boutique cases are built well enough that the service life limit comes down to whether the case layout still does what you want in 5+ years, rather than the case itself looking dated or getting dirty or some other combination of form factors (:dadjoke:)

Exactly.

In other news, I received a 1x12w to 3x PCI-E converter cable from ModDIY and its fantastic. It has a 90 degree angle and I can neatly fit the 4090 FE card inside my temporary NR200. This case will later serve for my Plex server when I receive the Dan.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

teagone posted:

Fractal made a sandwich style ITX case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgZbz1wi33E

I wonder what’s the biggest CPU cooler you can fit in there along with a 4090 FE

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rakeris posted:

If anyone is interested, got my xproto build done, probably the most difficult PC build I have ever completed. Was fun but challenging, mostly due to tight spaces and everything having to be installed/connected in a rather specific order. Had a few occasions where I had to disassemble a good amount of the build to move a wire or change a small thing. Has a different gfx card in it now as the gigabyte one was defective and have an asus one now, but pretty minor.

This is neat. I’d love something like this if I didn’t have toddlers.

Just finished moving my PC to the new Dan C4 SFX. It was a lot of fun to build it, it’s very well thought out with ease of build clearly an important goal. Build quality is much better than the NCASE M1.

But to be honest, after all is said and done, it’s not that much better or smaller than an NR200. My wife certainly can’t tell that the PC has changed. So I wouldn’t divert money towards this case that could be used for better components and an NR200, unless you are a SFF geek like me who has been building PC’s for 25 years. I really appreciate good design.

The only small gripe I can think of is that 240 AIO’s are an afterthought. It’s really designed with 280 in mind. But I’m just reusing this cooler until I can get a Noctua NH-D12L

Animal fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 1, 2023

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

I really want a Fractal Terra, but I’m concerned about having to drop to a lower end CPU cooler again. When I moved from a Thermaltake Core V1 to a Cooler Master NR200P I was able to upgrade from a Noctua NH-U9S to the NH-D12L. It looks like the Terra, with a Triple-Slot GPU, would only be able to handle something like an NH-L9x, which wouldn’t be able to handle my 5900X with its current OC settings due to thermals. :negative:

That’s the problem with those sandwich layouts. It’s why I chose the Dan C4, I didn’t wanna compromise on CPU cooling.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Is there a big power/thermal difference between the 7800X3D and a 12900k?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

wargames posted:

12900k is 135w+ cpu and runs warms, 7800x3d is basically a 65w cpu and is the best gaming cpu.

Thinking of swapping, as I got my 12900k cheap thanks to a friend at Intel and can sell it and recoup the losses. What’s the best motherboard to go with AMD these days? I refuse to buy Gigabyte.

Last time I had AMD I was trying a 5900x and the ASUS B550 motherboard gave me all sorts of Ethernet disconnection problems, I also tried a B570 and the chipset fan was ridiculously loud and there was no way to tune it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

wargames posted:

MSI or ASrock seems to be the good ones, DO CHECK THE RAM COMPATIBILITY CHARTS FOR THE MB. run two sticks of ram and if you want to ramdisk your 35 gig modded rimworld game the 24/48 gig sticks are fine but run two sticks for best expo results.

Looks like the MSI board uses Realtek LAN instead of Intel, so it may be the one to get. Never thought I’d ever try to avoid Intel in favor of Realtek, yet here we are.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

wargames posted:

also sk hynix ram is better liked them samsung.

I already have 32GB of DDR5 that I spent way too much money on back in early 2022.

G.SKILL 32GB 16X2 D5 5600 RIP BLK

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

So if it’s not on that list, there could be issues?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

wargames posted:

it shouldn't be but you probably won't get 6000mhz+

Ok. It’s gonna be a pain in the rear end finding a good 32GB pair that’s SK Hynix 6000 cl36 or less and is on that list AND fits on a SFF environment.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

wargames posted:

you say that but on the msi list these exist for 32gig and 6000mhz https://www.newegg.com/oloy-64gb/p/N82E16820821550

Thanks, I was only looking at brands that I recognized.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

wargames posted:

you say that but on the msi list these exist for 32gig and 6000mhz https://www.newegg.com/oloy-64gb/p/N82E16820821550

Ordered this stick of RAM along with the MSI B650I and the 7800X3D. Also another m.2 SSD and an NH-D12L, I’ll finally be free of SATA power and data cables.

I guess I’ll rebuild my old PC on the NCASE M1, the 12900k and 3080 will be together again, forever. I suppose I’ll sell it to a friend for cheap.

Animal fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 13, 2023

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Wonton posted:

I’m actually not too fond of the AIO’s and a dan a4 h20, sitting on my standing desk. It hums a lot even with fan curve. Mounting the computer underneath the desk is better for noise, but it runs hotter.

Air cooling in general lasts longer and is quieter. Anyone tried the new C4 yet? Should be fine with a 7900XT?

But I think my next build I’ll go MATX and SAMA 01 or really small matx case that’s borderline sff

I have a C4, it’s awesome. It fits 4090 cards so I assume 7900XT is fine.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Coredump posted:

I was really looking forward to getting the C4 but was going to wait until Newegg got it stock but whoops. Now that Dan has shown the viability of that layout I wonder if Coolermaster will seize the opportunity to tweak the NR200 slightly and make their own version of it.

The C4 is so good. Just wait for the V2 that he announced. I just rebuilt in with a 7800X3D using the recommended Noctua NH-D12L, 140mm fan for exhaust, 4090 FE, and two NVME drives. It really is a joy to build in, the attention to detail and rigidity are great. My favorite part is the exhaust ramp to duct out hot air coming out of Founders Edition cards, that also works as an anti sag bracket.

I’m not sure it’s worth the price premium over an NR200, which is already a very nice case. But if you are an enthusiast who enjoys building and optimizing your PC, the Dan C4 is a joy.

Animal fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 19, 2023

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

dkj posted:

Was wanting to look into replacing the psu cables in my system, hoping it might help with thermals and also look nicer, but it seems like it might be more complicated/risky than I originally thought.

How do you know for a fact the cables will work with your psu and not destroy everything?

I've bought from ModDIY including my current 4090 12vhpwr-to-Corsair SF750. Works perfectly.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Gamers nexus prioritise airflow temps and noise above all else so ITX cases are always gonna be niche for them

That’s not really the reason they didn’t like it. That case looks like a nightmare to build in, that was Steve’s problem. I wish they would have gotten a Dan C4-SFX, which is the opposite. A joy to build in.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Lian Li PC-61 gang represent!

I spilled so much blood building in that case. It would have lasted another 10 years of not for every single screw thread stripping

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I had no idea small form factor computers were a thing. If I was looking to spend about 400ish in filthy, useless Canadian dollars on a machine that could realistically do the following:

- Run basic music producing software like FL Studios and not have my beautiful music tracks stutter because I have like, a few samples and some VSTs loaded at the same time.

- Run basic image editing software. Nothing too crazy, just something that won't lag when working with a .pdf file that has more than a few layers

- Run basic games that aren't necessarily graphic heavy. I'm not an intense gamer but poo poo like minecraft shouldn't run at at 12 fps

For context I've been using a broken down HP floor model laptop with a busted screen, loose keys. It's a pathetic situation but I've still manage to produce ART. I just want to do it more efficiently at a reasonable price. What should I be on the lookout for?

A used Intel NUC is the only way you'll have a decent SFF at under $400

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

You can get a used NUC for under $400 in Canada? I am very interested in this (but I’ll let OP buy theirs first)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276347200320?itmmeta=01HQ755A1YPNDSYJNP5D104REQ&hash=item405793a340:g:jFYAAOSwS-Zl1mvE

edit: crap I didn't realize the CAD was so low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I think the best hope for OP is to find another more modern laptop with a broken screen and plug it to an external display.