Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Generally you want to jam the biggest cooler in there as possible. If you don’t overclock it should run essentially silent. Hell it will still probably be pretty much silent even if you do overclock.

I’m also in the “pre-ordered NR200 but not sure about cooling” boat. From the launch images of the case on CM’s website, it looks like they have a Hyper 212 plunked inside, but that’s 3.8mm taller than they say will work, so I’m going to use the Ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler until I can figure out for certain what’ll fit in there.

Also will be curious to see what fan configuration people use - ordered an additional 120mm case fan but leaving it as they configured other than that.

For the folks asking about the Gigabyte B550i - I also got that guy after waiting a while for it to come back in stock. I got it at micro center with the $20 CPU bundle discount, so it was essentially in B450 price territory at that point. Seems like the consensus was uniformly positive, and unlike the X570 variant it doesn’t use one of the system fan headers on the chipset, so will better accommodate all the fans in the NR200. Haven’t built it yet, though, so that’s just based on reading online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

looks like it's actually out of stock everywhere right now, yeah :negative:

no idea how long to expect for it to come back in stock, hm. the other B550 options I know of:

- ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Mini ITX AMD Motherboard ($199)
- ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming ($229)
- MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wifi ($200 but not actually available anywhere as far as I can tell)

I guess if I want to build a mini-ITX PC right now, there are potentially compatible B450/X570 boards I could also look at, I guess? I'm not quite sure what the compatibility issues are there, sounds maybe a bit trickier than just CPU/motherboard mismatches. otherwise the ASRock seems maybe okay, negative reviews mention there's badly-placed right-angle SATA ports but I'm theoretically just going with a single 1TB M2 drive for this build so should be okay, I think...

It seems like they're going in and out of stock fairly frequently - I waited about a week, got tired of waiting and bought Gigabyte's X570 mini-itx board (https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X570-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#kf) which is one of the cheapest X570 mini-ITX guys I've seen ($219), and then the B550 came back in stock the next day at my microcenter so I returned the X570 and grabbed the B550. The B550 mini-ITX boards look like they only came out a couple months ago, so I imagine they'll be coming in and out of stock pretty frequently, but it can be hit or miss, especially if you can't do in-store pickup.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

oh no, that's brutal. I had had my eye on it but hadn't bothered to preorder since I figured it was shipping on the 15th so must be in stock. no wonder it doesn't even have a product page on Newegg yet

I got the same thing today and gave up as it’s the last part of a new build I’m waiting on. Going with an open box Lian Li TU150 I found for cheap in the interim, maybe I’ll circle back around and try it out once it’s readily available. Shame as I was hoping to tinker around with it!

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

ooh, that looks nice. only $100 new on Newegg (same price as windowed variant of the NR200). will have to watch a video review, know offhand any drawbacks by comparison?

I think Romes128 hit it a bit more in-depth than I could, but the only other thing I’d add is the size differential - it’s about 22 liters or so which is slightly larger than the NR200. But other than that I liked a lot of the same things - ability to toss in a beefy CPU air cooler, for example.

Only other thing I’d say is if you live near a Micro Center, see if they have any open box. Got mine for just under 80 bucks that way, which is nice. Will just have to make sure the side panel isn’t cracked when I pick it up!

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

teagone posted:

Guess I'll look into getting a magnetic filter for the bottom of the TU150 too then.

I just went with two of the Silverstone 120mm magnetic ones and slapped them on the bottom - seems like it's doing the trick thus far. A two-pack wasn't too pricey on amazon and shipped fast, which was good enough for me. Fits right over the two fans I mounted:

Also, Splinter, I ended up stealing your technique for routing the pci-e power cable over the front intake fan. This is what my completed build looks like in the TU-150:

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Splinter posted:

Trip report: 2x120mm ID filter came in and fits the TU150 with no issues. The frame is actually thin enough that it fits under the feet with plenty of room to spare, so the only potential obstruction is the feet posts (which could be trimmed round if necessary, but wasn't an issue w/ this size). My dog sits right next to my computer half the time so this was essential.

That actually looks great and a bit more elegant than the 2x120mm solution; kind of wish I had grabbed one of those now, instead. But, I suppose if I have aesthetic concerns about any part of my case, it might as well be the bottom fan intake given how seldom I see it!

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Sphyre posted:

I downsized my system from an O11 Dynamic to an NR200:

(this picture really undersells how wide the O11 dynamic is! the nr200 is smaller than it looks i swear!!)

NR200 looks great - quite jealous. Out of curiosity, how did you end up getting yours? I had originally pre-ordered through Amazon but gave up after they delayed it a month or so. Doesn't look like it's in stock anywhere right now, either. Frustrating given it looks like such a cool little box!

garfield hentai posted:

One more related question - it looks like the recommended PSU for the 3080 is a 750w and I have the Corsair SF600. Any recommendations for an appropriate SFF PSU? PCPP isn't showing anything at all when filtering 750w+ and MiniITX although I know they exist, and while the SF750 seems like the most straightforward choice since it's just a higher wattage version of what I have it's $300 on Newegg which seems like an awful lot for a PSU.

I'd shop around a bit - you can find the SF750 for a decent price if you can grab it at non-scalper prices. I pre-ordered one from BLT for about ~$190, which seems to oddly have very good prices on Corsair PSUs - https://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=011003501503_B6LA528P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID! - looks like the ones coming in this week were just scooped up, but they seem to get them in pretty regularly. I also got my SF600 from BLT through the same method for a decent price, so it seems like they're a good way to go if you don't need it right away. Buying a PSU right now seems like a very weird process, so it seems like you need to go a bit further afield than Newegg or Amazon to get a decent price for one that's really in demand.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

garfield hentai posted:

I'll keep this in mind, thanks. If I don't have any luck though, are there any other ones worth considering? Also reiterating my previous question about a bigger case that's =<12" tall - if the M1 ends up being too much a pain in the rear end with the 3080 GPU cooling, a bigger case might take a non-SFF PSU and this would be moot.

Seems like people like the Seasonic SGX-650, but it's not that big a leap from the SF600. I think SilverStone has some big SFX power supplies, but not sure how good they are (and I think the warranties aren't nearly as strong as Corsair/Seasonic). Pretty lean selection for SFX power supplies over 650 watts from what I can tell!

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Sphyre posted:

This won't be helpful at all but for some reason there's plentiful stock of them over here in New Zealand

(also explains the non standard coke can size :sweatdrop:)

Ah, makes sense! Was just making sure there wasn’t some mystery source I was missing. Enjoy the NR200 and your mini coke!

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

NoDamage posted:

Update for anyone considering ShopBLT.com for an SF750. I ordered one on Sep 2nd and it was eventually delivered today after several emails pushing the delivery date back. So it took a while but it did get there.

Got mine in yesterday, as well, after ordering it around the same time as you. Looks like BLT was on to something with their queue system, given all the other high profile launches lately!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Has anyone else using the gigabyte b550i aorus pro had their Bluetooth up and disappear? Just happened to me, I did a bunch of googling and tried reinstalling drivers but windows just straight up refused to see any Bluetooth hardware whatsoever. Eventually I found the same issue in some amazon reviews, which was solved by disconnecting the power and making sure the PSU capacitors are empty before turning everything back on. Weird one.

I'm replacing the board anyway, because neither the BIOS flash nor the clear CMOS jumper work, and I have an issue where when I boot the PC first thing in the morning half of the time the fans spin up but it doesn't boot, so I have to turn it off at the PSU and back on and then it always works the second time. When I turn the PC off and on through the day it works fine, it only has issues when it's been powered off for a while.

I'm still getting the same model to replace it, because if everything worked it would be great, and I've already got my cables managed to exactly where they need to be for the various headers on the board so really don't want to have to tear the whole thing apart, more than I already need to to get the mobo out.

Have the same thing and did the same trick to fix it - only happened after I flashed to the latest BIOS, so not sure if that’s the origin of it or not. Regardless, seems pretty common which is unfortunate given the board is so good