Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Crossposting my question from the PC building thread that I could use some help with:

teagone posted:

Can anyone recommend a low profile cooler for an i7 4770? Case allows for max cooler height of 65mm, but the PSU goes right over the CPU so I'm looking for something maybe smaller than 40/30mm. The Noctua NH-L9i seems like a good one, but is there something cheaper maybe that still would provide adequate cooling? [Edit] it's also probably not a good idea to stick a cooler rated for up to 65w TDP on an 84w TDP processor, right? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What case is it?

CM Elite 130. The shoebox/microwave looking case.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I ended up just getting this HSF https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZTYSJ9G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 48mm height, but I think I'm gonna look for an SFX PSU anyways to try and clear up some space above the CPU.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Replacing my Cooler Master Elite 130 case with a SilverStone SG13B, which has a 120/140mm fan mount on the front. Should I set that as intake or exhaust? And what 120/140mm fan should I get? Something from Noctua? I'm not super particular about noise, but a nice quiet fan that pushes a lot of air would be nice if it's not too pricey.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

buglord posted:

Internet says that intake is good for the front.

I only asked because I watched Hardware Canucks review of the SG13 before buying, and they put in the front fan as exhaust which made me question if I've been doing it wrong with ITX/SFF builds all along lmao. But I just saw a couple YT comments say it's dumb to do that since the front of the case is the only part that has a dust filter, heh. Intake it is :) And yeah, I think I'll assemble first to see how far the GPU reaches the front before I decide on whatever 140mm fan to get (I have an Antec 120mm TrueQuiet I can use from my old CM Elite 130).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

For anyone interested/looking, Amazon has the Corsair SF600 Gold SFX 600W PSU for $120ish after tax https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CGI5M24/ref=twister_B07V8MPTXT?th=1finally starting to get the rest of the components for my SFF build :haw:

[edit] fixed link

[edit 2] On impluse I bought an evga b-stock 1660 ti for $150 just now, not realizing it's a 2.75 slot GPU (it's this chonky boi https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1261-KR). Looks like I can't use it in the SG13 I bought 2 months ago for my SFF build, lmao. Guess I have to get an NR200 now.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 29, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Alright, I have the NR200 pre-ordered since I can no longer use my SG13. Some quick questions about optimizing airflow for the case. I'll be using older components: Core i7 4770, GTX 1660 Ti. The NR200 comes with a 92mm fan (rear) and a 120mm fan (top) preinstalled. I plan on leaving those fans in the stock configuration. I ordered another 120mm CM rifle bearing sickleflow fan for the top. What additional fans should I consider? Or do I even need to bother? Should I not bother with the rear 92mm fan and take that out?

The 1660 Ti model I got is this 2.75 slot model from EVGA: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1261-RX — would installing two additional 120mm fans (slim versions) on the bottom of the case be ideal? Or would they impede/interrupt airflow of the GPU somehow? Am I wrong to assume that the bottom mounts for fans is only really optimal in configurations where the GPU is vertically mounted? Other components in the case would be a 500GB WD Blue SSD and a Corsair SF600 PSU. The CPU cooler I'm using is this one: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=691

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sounds good. Gonna just try out the rear 92mm and 2 x 120mm fans up top when I do the build sometime next week.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Amazon pls...

:negative:

Did anyone else who pre-ordered the NR200 get a shipment confirmation of any kind?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, the silver Lian Li Tu 150 is only $109.99 on Amazon. I might just end up getting that tbh since the case is the only part I need for my build right now too.

[edit] Oh, it doesn't come with any fans already installed? Bummer.

[edit 2] I want the aluminum sidepanel version, but Amazon doesn't have it. God. Damnit.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 15, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cancelled my CM NR200 pre-order

:smith:

But ordered a Lian Li TU150 with the aluminum side panel from newegg for $113 shipped.

:unsmith:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMP3-881X5o

I really wanted this case. Oh well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Splinter posted:

No fans, and it only has a dust filter on the front intake. Bottom fans aren't filtered. I ordered this magnetic 2x120mm filter for the bottom, I'll report back on fitment when it arrives. I imagine the corners might need to be trimmed a bit to fit with the case feet, but I think it should work. Newegg usually has the aluminum sidepanel in stock btw.

Are fans on GPUs typically intake or exhaust? I'm going to install a 3-slot EVGA GTX 1660 Ti that has a single fan, and because of the thickness of the card's heatsink + fan shroud, I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit even slim 120mm fans on the bottom of the TU150. Also yeah, I ordered the silver TU150 from Newegg with the aluminum side panel for $113 after tax; not bad! Also ordered 2x 120mm Noctua P12 redux 1700 RPM fans for front intake and rear exhaust.

[edit] I'll be installing an older processor/mobo (Core i7 4770, MSI H81I) and will be using this to cool the CPU https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=691 so hoping thermals will be ok.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 17, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Guess I'll look into getting a magnetic filter for the bottom of the TU150 too then.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Splinter posted:

No fans, and it only has a dust filter on the front intake. Bottom fans aren't filtered. I ordered this magnetic 2x120mm filter for the bottom, I'll report back on fitment when it arrives. I imagine the corners might need to be trimmed a bit to fit with the case feet, but I think it should work. Newegg usually has the aluminum sidepanel in stock btw.

Looks like that site has a filter fitted for the bottom of the TU150 https://www.demcifilter.com/c1395-267mm-x-147mm-lian-li-tu150-mini-itx-desktop-case-model-tu150x-bottom-filter

[edit] They also have a filter for the aluminum side panel https://www.demcifilter.com/c1397-310mm-x-80mm-an-li-tu150-mini-itx-desktop-case-model-tu150x-gpu-filter

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 17, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Romes128 posted:

Is it a real 3 slot card or like 2.5?

I had a Red Devil 5700XT in there and fit two slim Noctua fans at the bottom with no issue.

2.75 slot. This card specifically: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1261-KR

ughhhh posted:

I have a tu150 and now have the noctua slim fans at the bottom as intake. Works well with my FE 2070super. You shouldn't need to worry about adding fans to the bottom with just the 1660ti since it's tdp isn't that high. But you could also go with removing the shroud and connecting the bottom fans onto the GPU fan header.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUaZVpN51Po

I actually just watched this video last night, haha. Unfortunately, after looking at the card, I'd have to either file or bend down the metal tabs that stick up after removing the shroud and fan. Not something I'm keen on doing.

[edit] And yeah, I'm going to install my setup with no bottom intakes or any additional filters first to see how thermals are. I'm thinking I should be ok with just the front and rear exhaust fans since my component setup is rather modest.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 17, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Romes128 posted:

drat that's a thicc rear end card. It's a whole inch thicker than the Red Devil which is something.

I don't think you'll be able to fit even slim fans under it. Only way to tell is fitting the card in first though.

Yeah, it's a chonker lmao. I bought it on impulse because it was so cheap (~$150 shipped from EVGA B-Stock), and didn't realize how THICC of a card it was. It threw my original plan of using a Silverstone SG13 I had already bought for this i7 4770 SFF build I've been planning out the window. That why I ended up pre-ordering the NR200, but RIP its availability, so with the TU150 I now go!

Splinter posted:

They are typically intake. It's possible there are situations where exhaust may work better, but I haven't seen anyone try that with the TU150 yet. Specifically though, on the NCase M1 if you deshroud your GPU (so there are no GPU fans, only the bottom case fans) and have a large GPU heatsink (to the point where it almost reaches the bottom fans), it can sometimes be better for thermals to run the bottom fans as exhaust (gets the hot air coming off the GPU heatsink out of the case ASAP). That's a different case though, and not something you'd typically experiment with unless you're having thermal issues with them as intake. If you're leaving your GPU fans on, you definitely want to run them as intake. If your GPU shroud/fan are so big that you can't fit bottom intakes, that's fine, your GPU fan will just act as the bottom intake since it will be so close to the bottom of the case anyway. In that case though, deshrouding and going with 2 full size bottom intakes (or even replacing the stock heatsink with something like an Accelero Xtreme III, using either its stock fans or deshrouding it and using bottom intakes) would probably be better for noise and thermals (especially if you can get an adapter to hook the PWM up to the GPU itself), but I wouldn't go that route unless you're having noise/temp issues with the stock cooler.

As far as that side vent filter goes, that might not be necessary. If you're running 2 bottom intakes, 1 front intake and only 1 rear exhaust, the pressure in the case in theory is forcing air out of those vents (helps get that hot GPU air out of the case) rather than pulling air in through those vents. If that's the case then dust won't really be entering through those vents. However, if you're relying on the GPU fans only for bottom intake (no bottom case fans), then they will likely pull some air through those vents (in addition to the bottom vents). It's also possible if your GPU fans are strong enough that even with bottom intakes they'll pull a tad bit of air though the side as well, but I'm not sure exactly how that would play out (and in theory the bottom fans are doing the heavy lifting while the GPU fan speed stays low). If you're running bottom intakes, I'd try it without the side filter first (as filters restrict airflow) and see if you get any dust build up in the case. Couldn't hurt to have it on hand just in case if you're already paying for shipping for 1 filter though. Amazon stocks some of their stuff, which typically is a little cheaper once you consider shipping, but they didn't have that particular 2x120mm ID in stock. They did have some made for the NCase M1 bottom and top panels, which are similar in size to the 2x120mm ID, but not exactly the same (they are a bit bigger IIRC, which would make fitment more of a question).

Thanks for the info! And yeah, first thing I'm gonna do is just get the build up and running to see its thermal performance. After which I'll look into getting any dust filters, possible bottom intake fans (if they can fit!), and whatnot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kikuchiyo posted:

I just went with two of the Silverstone 120mm magnetic ones and slapped them on the bottom - seems like it's doing the trick thus far. A two-pack wasn't too pricey on amazon and shipped fast, which was good enough for me. Fits right over the two fans I mounted:

Oh sweet! Thanks for the tip. Might just end up doing this :)

[edit] Amazon actually has the 267mm x 147mm filters made by DEMCifilter for $17 shipped. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IABXZXO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Got one of those :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 18, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Splinter posted:

Trip report: 2x120mm ID filter came in and fits the TU150 with no issues. The frame is actually thin enough that it fits under the feet with plenty of room to spare, so the only potential obstruction is the feet posts (which could be trimmed round if necessary, but wasn't an issue w/ this size). My dog sits right next to my computer half the time so this was essential.

Nice, good to know! My 2x120mm ID filter comes in tomorrow. Will finally be putting together the build this weekend now that I have everything :haw:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Silverstone just announced the successor to the SG13... the SG14!

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=932

Looks nice with a lot of modularity and 3-slot GPU support, though it's significantly larger than the SG13.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The only Silverstone case I've ever worked in was an ML03; completed two builds using that HTPC-style enclosure, and both times they were a pleasure to work in. I guess the ML03 is technically SFF with it being 15 liters in volume. Thought its general layout was nice. I was gonna work in an SG13 for my new build, but the 1660 Ti chonker I ended up getting relegated it to storage for future use—maybe a nice mini PC for my dad when I retire the Ryzen 3 2200G in my Plex server.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Finished up my TU 150 build earlier. Wow. What an easy case to build in... probably one of easiest PCs I've put together actually. Total assembly time probably took me no more than 2 hours probably, with cable management. And drat the silver variant is slick. Also, there's just barely enough room for a 15mm slim case fan between the bottom of the case and my dummy thicc 2.75 slot 1660 Ti. Don't think I'll need those though, GPU idles around 33-35C no problem. Haven't seen how it performs under load yet though. Gonna run Heaven overnight for stability testing.

[edit] Apparently EVGA sent me the 1660 Ti XC Overclocked Edition instead of the Black Gaming one I ordered since Afterburner is reporting a 1845-1860 MHz GPU core clock boost instead of 1770 MHz. Cool I guess, lol. GPU temp stays around ~78C under sustained load (currently running Heaven benchmark on loop). I think that's a little warm? But I did read the 1660 Ti only throttles around 90-95C so I think I'm good, no need for the bottom 120mm fans :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 30, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Showed my brother my TU 150 build, and now he wants a smaller case too lmao. Problem is he has a microATX board and isn't really keen on purchasing a new ITX board for a build since his PC is relatively new. I found the Metalfish S5 case which is relatively small, but supports microATX boards and full size ATX PSUs. Though, I can't seem to find a reputable retailer to purchase one from. Anyone familiar with the enclosure and know where I could maybe buy one? There's an AliExpress listing for the case, but it says they no longer carry the item :rip:

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 31, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Romes128 posted:

What case is he currently using?

Mu Zeta posted:

The Cooler Master Q300 is like $50 and compact for an MATX tower. It's about as good as $50 cases get but I would add an extra fan or two.

That's the case I used for his current build, lmao. It was fine to work in, but the airflow isn't the greatest because of its "not-mesh" design that chokes the intake and exhaust a little. I dumped 2x140mm Noctua Redux fans in the front and they struggle to get air in (and as such, are loud af under load unfortunately).

Romes128 posted:

LinusTechTips recently did a build with one and whenever one of those big youtubers does something like that, parts fly off the shelves.

That's the video I watched that made me aware of the Metalfish S5, haha.

Splinter posted:

For mATX there's the Sliger Cerberus. It's a bit smaller than the TU150, a bit bigger than the NR200 (believe it's ~19L). Base price is $245 though.

Hmm... I'll ask to see how much he'd be willing to spend. Thanks for the tip.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Splinter posted:

I think looking at both size (sub 20L) and GPU & CPU cooler compatibility, there isn't really anything else like it for mATX (think it can even support ATX PSU if you want). The price is steep though. That Metalfish S5 does look intriguing, though it looks like it is significantly more limited component wise due to its size (which may mean having to buy all new fans/coolers). One thing to consider is if he's going to have to buy a whole new cooling setup (CPU cooler, different case fans, etc) and/or boutique priced case to keep the mATX board with a small case, it might be cheaper to buy a new mITX mobo + an mITX case that is compatible with most of his current cooling gear. Similarly, if all the other options require buying an SFX PSU, while something like the Cerberus can re-use his ATX PSU, the price of the Cerberus may no longer seem so steep compared to cheaper case + $120+ SFX PSU.

Yeah, he said $245 is way too much. Looking at everything he has in his current build, the only issues I see component wise wrt transferring the build over into a Metalfish S5 are not being able to use the 2x140mm Noctua Redux (which isn't too big of a deal, because he has left over 120mm fans from his old case I can potentially reuse), and having to purchase an SFX PSU. Otherwise everything else is in spec. Either way, I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a place that sells the S5 anyways, lmao.

Romes128 posted:

The Cougar QBX fits a regular ATX power supply too. But he would need a smaller cooler or 120mm AIO (assuming he's currently using a tower cooler).

I used the Wraith Prism that came with the Ryzen 2700X for his build. Quick google search says it's ~96mm in height. So it would clear the S5 ok, since it has a max CPU cooler height of 135mm.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 31, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Not an SFF, but I thought the new Xbox Series S design looks a lot like a Velka 3 :3:

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1303371127482232834

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Warmachine posted:

Somehow I never realized Sony had stumbled on a warehouse of surplus Silverstone cases when it was designing the PS5.

Do you mean Microsoft? Because the PS5 looks weird as hell lmao.

Unless Silverstone has made cases similar in design to the PS5 in the past.

[edit] The PS5 is also massive.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 11, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I wish MS would sell those dummy Xbox Series S enclosures. Would be fun to mod into an actual SFF case.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I really hate the YT thumbnail meta.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Would be cool if Fractal made a Meshify ITX case.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'd like to see Meshify shrunk down to around the size of an NR200. Call it the Meshify C Pico or something.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sphyre posted:

should add "Buy the NR200P" to the thread title in this poster's opinion

It really does seem like the de facto ITX case to buy. Perfect combination of price, size, and compatibility. Wish I had one, but am pretty happy with my TU150 atm. Maybe I'll get whatever the revision of the NR200 is for my next build :shobon:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

okay, I bought it :negative:

I have until the end of January to figure out how to return this NZXT case (kind of a struggle since I live in NYC and don't really want to set foot in a UPS store right now, but worst case I might find someone to buy it off me)

Where did you buy the H210 from? If from Amazon, you can opt to have UPS come pick it up from your house for free. Don't even need to print a label or anything, just pack up what you want to ship back and the UPS guy takes care of the rest. I do that all the time for Amazon returns now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

amazon isn't giving me that option in their little return wizard, probably because it's not a great move to leave packages sitting on your porch here, sadly. hopefully by the end of january we're either over our inevitable second wave of covid or so in-the-midst-of-it i can convince amazon to grant an extension, though

I think the return options it gives you depends on the reason for return. I usually pick "item defective" and just give whatever lame reason. Amazon can afford to take care of your return for you. You can say the case was too big or you have fans that don't fit in it or something lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Metalfish S5 is back in stock at AliExpress for anyone interested in doing an SFF build with a full mATX board. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000221324472.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.6d813c00a07TeV&mp=1 400+ units in stock it looks like.

Has anyone here ever put an order through AliExpress? Are they reliable?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

for comparison, here's what I've got going, lmao:

remember how I said I didn't want a side window? :v:

This makes me sad, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Could also be an eagle making a face like this :gonk:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

orcane posted:

To be honest the spinning rust drive in any SFF case is way worse than a few cables and mismatched colors :v:

I dunno, I saw this on the r/sffpc subreddit and it made me want to convert my mid-tower Plex server into a SFF PC:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sphyre posted:

New from FormD/Lian Li: the Meshlicious https://ssupd.com/products/meshlicious

Case looks nice, name is bad. Hell, might even pick one up depending on the optimum tech review

That's reasonably priced too. poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Romes128 posted:

Optimum Tech already has a review up of the Meshilicious. (What a dumb rear end name)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKpNt1o6l_Y

He specifically says the 3080 Gaming X Trio won't fit in it, so looks like I'm sticking with my SM580.

This will be the case I do my big overhaul build in the next couple years or so for sure.