Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p48T1Mo9D3Q

Anyway, I think SFF enthusiasts will have to use a wait and see strategy. I recently went up to an mATX case though and bought an 850W SFX PSU, so maybe it'll all work out for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtvAI-XTdfk

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I can update the OP. It’s probably not as out of date as you think but there are a few nice newer cases and everyone is making PSU’s now.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone know if a h110i v2 can fit in a T1 case? It being so small is highly tempting but it doesn't look like there's space for any SSDs

Unfortunately I can’t help with the fit question. But at this point m.2 SSDs are so cheap and you are already paying the ITX premium you owe it to yourself to not run sata cables and sata power cables.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well, it's a valid question, I think. I'd like to move down to this form factor but I still need space for at least 2-3 SSDs, in addition to the m.2 drive.

One of these days I'll move over my remaining 8tb 3.5" drive to an actual NAS

It’s probably best to avoid the smallest cases if you want to fit those particular needs. I’m currently trying to turn my M1 into a NAS.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

If you are gaming at 4K 120hz, get a 4-series Nvidia. If not, then you can get anything.

Any 240mm CLC should be fine.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I got an EVGA 850W SFX earlier this year and have been happy with it. Price has jumped up to $180 though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I think as SFF enthusiasts we need to start giving up some performance at the very top end or go with an open air SFF frame, not a case.

Hopefully the 4080 is more kind to us.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

are there any SFF chassis that allow a lot of 3.5" internal storage? do like a fractal 7 mini chassis but with a "storage layout", where you just stack in 3.5" drive trays on a rail in the front and have the intake fans blow over them.

Cerberus X actually has pretty good capacity if you just fill it with drive trays, but, they don't explicitly say a capacity. But that's more or less what I'm talking about, an "ATX style" layout with a bunch of drive trays in it.

or are there any alternatives to U-NAS 800/400 series yet, that scratch that QNAP/Synology itch for hotswap miniservers? Other than the tragically-:downs: Silverstone DS380 or whatever, that is?

Meshilicious. No joke. Someone on Reddit has 3d printer files for a 9 drive NAS.

The drives need to be done in 3s, I think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSUPD/comm...utm_name=iossmf

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Literally only this.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

So 7900XTs fit in smaller cases but use more power and have less performance than 4090s. Womp womp. I’m guessing worse cooking too.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Don’t let AMD sell you on anemic cooling being a feature.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Anyone know a good fan configuration for a C14S? I'm using a SAMA IM01. The stock fan under, but blowing in, isn't giving me great temps and that's with the panels off. I have a slim 120mm fan and tons of other 120mm fans I can toss in I guess.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

anakha posted:

Rear fan as intake then two top fans as exhaust. Maybe also consider a tower cooler oriented towards that rear intake fan.

Hmm good point. I dunno why I’m loving around with this for an $80 cooler. I somehow figured I’d just throw money at it to get the best cooler possible and maybe be able to use it in a later build, but it’s not even being the best cooler possible at stock.

Just ordered an Se-224xt for 26 bucks, Reddit says it’s good in my case.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8mlb19w0e0

Dang.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

anakha posted:

The 224 and 234 are good budget tower coolers, can't really go wrong with either.

Installed the 224 today, getting great temps. Tops out at 76C during gaming where the C14S was hitting 100C. I did put two Noctua's on it that I already had, they're pulling from the back.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

https://youtu.be/tp0RHDTF0Vc
I wonder if this will fit in an MCase M1

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

buglord posted:

Crossposting from the pc building thread, since you guys might be more temperature sensitive about CPUs:

What’s the best upgrade path from a i7 8700 non-k for ITX/SFF gaming? Will 6 cores 12 threads be enough or is 8/16 the new hotness orrr am I chasing the wrong thing entirely here? This CPU will be used exclusively for gaming, and it will likely be tweaked/power limited a bit that way it stays cooled by my NHL12S (a small horizontal tower) cpu cooler.

Im tempted to go the AMD route and get a R5 7600 non-x, though I’d have to get a more expensive motherboard. I figure maybe if I get on the AM5 platform, I could maybe keep the motherboard for 3 or 4 CPU generations like AMD says (unless I heard that wrong?)

Then on the flip side there’s Intel but I’m completely lost on their E & P core things, I have no idea how that fits into gaming. Or should I just wait another generation if possible?

If it helps, the resolution im at is 1440p with a RTX 3070, ideally targeting 90-100 fps.

You can toss a 9900 in there and get 8/16. I wouldn't spring for a 7600, new mobo and new RAM. Also at 1440P, the video card makes a much bigger difference than the processor.

Wonton posted:

As someone who built a few ITX rigs, I think I’m going back with matx. Or at least stick with air coolers and nr200p

The SAMA 01 seems perfect. Matx is only slightly bigger, you don’t deal with pricier itx boards and you don’t deal with pcie express riser cables or angled display like ssupd. And I have a dumb exception case of adding in a 10g lan card

My itx dana4 h20 5800X3D + 7900 XT isn’t whisper quiet and you can hear the AIO pumps. I under desk mounted my computer and it’s a little restrictive for airflow.

But I think the Dan c4 air cooling looks super promising and itx concept just rules

Video cards are getting so big, I also think mATX is the way to go.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Animal posted:

I placed two orders. It’s already sold out on Orbit which ships to the USA via UPS, and put my second order via OverclockersUK. If anyone here missed out and wants the second one to ship to me, you can have it at-cost, or I’ll just cancel the order.

Just curious, what is the cost?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Part of me is wanting to buy a 13600k and a cheap z690 ITX board that uses ddr4 and is horrible for over clocking and get my build back in the my M1. The other part of me knows it’s basically marginal improvement over a 10700k, but I’d be able to get a gen4 SSD, which is again marginal improvement for gaming loads.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

It looks like the B760's in ITX are both more expensive and worse than the Asrock Z690 itx which has lovely VRMs.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

I got Gigabyte's B760I Aorus Pro ITX mobo for my build and it's been solid so far, knock on wood. Paid a tad over €200.

Ya, the Asus Z690 is $130. Apparently a bunch of B760s got rid of rear USB C and downgraded from intel to realtek LAN.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is an interesting mITX option for Zen 4: https://videocardz.com/newz/minisforum-bd770i-motherboard-with-ryzen-7-7745hx-cpu-costs-399

It's an mITX board with a 7745HX mobile CPU soldered in and integrated heatsink. The downsides are the complete lack of upgradeable CPU, the use of SO-DIMM memory slots, and anemic rear I/O due to the lack of a chipset (only four USB-A ports, one USB-C). But it comes with two PCIe 5.0 m.2 slots and an PCIe 5.0 x16 slot, and it's just $400 for the whole thing, making it a pretty good value. The 7745HX is only a little worse than a 7700 when running at full power, and it comes without an IHS, so thermal management may be pretty easy with the included low-profile heatsink.

I dunno, may be a good budget ITX option? Or as the videocardz article points out, an option for high-performance storage servers.

edit: There's no memory overclocking support and the max specified memory speed is DDR5-5200. There are DDR5-5600 SO-DIMMs on newegg, but I'm guessing those are off the table. That may limit gaming performance a little if you're trying to put a fast GPU in there.

Seems to be available now.

https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-bd770i

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I wonder if you could fit that and a 4090 in the Fractal Terra.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Alphacool’s metal fans dropped. The prices are expensive at around $30 each but not all that bad compared to the other top fans. But I don’t know what they were smoking when they said the fans are half as loud at the same RPMs, it’s simply not true.

They also weigh about 12oz each, which is around 250% of the average plastic fan.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

This is interesting, but obviously an easy build process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e1nDf0GYZU

Kind of reminds me of Apple's trash can computer, that had a shared air-cooled heatsink for CPU and GPU.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 22, 2024

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

How horrible are the temps while it's in that shelf, after it has time to soak?

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 8, 2024

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Depending on what you consider acceptable gaming resolutions, a handheld like Steam Deck may make more sense. You can build something like this if you need a little more horse power, but that’s more because you wanted to build something as it provides no practical improvements over a gaming laptops. https://youtu.be/ci07KITkhM0?si=JM0eqAB54miBZ28R

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuCPzmlNTWo

This case looks pretty nice, but it seems like they could have made it MicroATX compatible with almost no sacrifice.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Anyone have any idea where I can get a case similar to the Inwin Chopin in the US? I bought a cheaper version, still from Inwin, a few years back but I forgot what the model was called. Also it looks like the Gamemax Violin is hard to get in the US right now. I have an extra itx board and processor around, but I don't want to spend a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

After a bit of searching I was able to find the model number. It’s an Inwin BQ656. I found one on eBay that even comes with an old Pentium board, for $35. Not too bad. Hopefully the PSU still works.