Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyone have a favorite site for custom cables?

Pslate for quality, dreambigbyray on etsy for price/performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Mr. Humalong posted:

Any suggestions for improvements? Anywhere I could save money? Any cool cases I may have missed? Some of the other cases I looked at were the Thermaltake The Tower 100 (which is so hideously goofy I almost love it) and the Thermaltake Core V1 which I find ok but I'm not crazy about it.

Yeah, get a better case so you don’t have upgrade-itis. Ncase, formd, sliger, new lian li q58, meshlicious, nr200 etc etc

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Meshlicious for sure.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

movax posted:

Huhh. Amazon keeps giving prebuilts and other poo poo when I search for 'X300' / Deskmini X300.

I see it as out of stock on Amazon, but newegg has it via eBay for better return policy.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Sm580 has the best gpu thermals I’ve seen in an itx case.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

I don’t think that heatsink has lga1700 capability, unless it’s listed on the mfg website and not Amazon.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

It doesn’t list 1700 on thermalrights page. I know some 1700 boards are using 115x/1200 mounting holes still. I wouldn’t buy it, but that’s just me.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

loquacius posted:

Yeah I'm not sure if I'm the guy to be pioneering on this. I'll just reuse my old microATX case with all-new guts, that's the safer bet. Thanks guys :tipshat:

I googled and found you have to buy the 1700 kit Thermalright LGA 1700-SS2 Mounting Kit for CPU Coolers on Intel's LGA1700 Platform, Mounting Kit for LGA1700 Socket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LTQYNSL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GY28R0H5447BRFP8TK7T

Once you go itx you won’t go back.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Scythe posted:

Assuming the Mesh is the answer, how ridiculous is it to go with air cooling even though it's clearly built with a radiator in mind? I'm thinking that an AIO is pointless for a 12400, so was considering going with an NH-L12S and a couple of 140mm fans in the front and calling it a day, but wanted to sanity check this.

Check out the machines and more YouTube channel. He has a video about air cooling the mesh and more build videos. I’d cooling is releasing a is-55 argb cooler soon that might beat the others.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

edit: actually, good chance to ask, is a Platinum PSU worth the price over Gold if you're someone who leaves the computer on almost all the time?

If we're talking about corsair gold vs platinum then the cost is worth it imo. The platinum sf have better braided cables and a better fan curve. If you're building itx you're already not going full budget build so you might as well splash out for the better unit.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Yeah, even a 10 liter sff isn’t fun to pack back and forth. I packed one between homes for a year and it was a huge pain in the rear end.

Edit: to add something of value, cases id look for would be sliger, Dan a4 and maybe a velka 7. I’d watch hardwareswap and buy used, but that’s me.

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 19, 2022

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Romes128 posted:

sliger cases are heavy. probably not the best to carry around.

Huh? I uhh, disagree. My sm weighs hardly anymore than my ncase and that’s with the handle. I’d add an extra pound to a built system for the handle alone, not to mention made in America and the ability to order any part
I needed.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

dkj posted:

I’ve been looking at putting a 5800x3d and rx6800 into a Louqe Ghost S1. Does anyone have any experience with this or a similar setup with regard to the CPU/GPU temps?

The x3d is going to be hot and loud, especially without a top hat. I just had an axp90-x53 full black on a x3d for testing and it wasn't something I would be willing to live with full time. I really wouldn't be buying the ghost unless you're absolutely dead set on it. Also, what gpu did you buy that's 340mm? Hardly any sff case can fit that.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Stock it hit 90c and throttled with all cores loaded. pbo2 with -30 on all cores it would spike to 80c and then would slowly climb. Yeah, I'm sure you can run it on a l9a if you only load one or two cores ever.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

dkj posted:

EK Basic 240

Sounds nice. Do a picture.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

I don't think I would spend the money to upgrade the 8700/rtx 3070 combo unless you have a specific use case. I doubt you're bottlenecking the 3070 much if at all. 1% lows would most likely improve with an upgrade though.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

I have dreambigbyray (on etsy) cables for my sf750, which are good but are not 100% the exact length I ordered. I got a moddiy 12vhpwr in the ultra soft silicon when I got my 4080, which has been good and was the correct length. Ray used the be the budget option with pslate being the nicer custom maker. Not sure if thats true anymore.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

GarTheConquer posted:

TLDR;

Looking for advice/suggestions on MOBO/GPU that would pair well with the Terra case, L9a(?) and 7800X3D (undervolted if need be).

Pick your gpu and then depending on thickness pick your cooler. The terra has pretty bad turbulence issues from what I've read, so I would personally choose a cooler that is 5mm or so below your max height allowed. The asrock b650i seems to be the sane budgetish pick? I got my msi b650i for cheap and it has been solid. Asus if you want the nicest of the am5 boards. Steer clear from gigabyte this gen from what I've read.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

I wouldn’t personally buy it, but I think this might work? I have a feeling it’s full of proprietary parts and is loud. https://www.newegg.com/asus-g22ch-ds564-rog/p/N82E16883221761 I think it said it has an extra nvme slot so you can add the 4tb ssd you need. Says it’s about 10 liters in size, which I find is about the upper end for backpack pc size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

Anyone have any idea where I can get a case similar to the Inwin Chopin in the US? I bought a cheaper version, still from Inwin, a few years back but I forgot what the model was called. Also it looks like the Gamemax Violin is hard to get in the US right now. I have an extra itx board and processor around, but I don't want to spend a lot.

Goodisory A09 from amazon/ali and a cheap psu?