Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Take this with a huge grain of salt since I've never done this, but in theory if you use an AIO cooler on the CPU, there should be nothing detrimental to laying it so the CPU points down and the GPU points up. That way, you could still have a liquid cooled CPU that pushes its heat out the front while the GPU pushes air out the mesh top. Any air pockets would stick to the top of the radiator still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Was there one of the sandwich style cases that allowed you to do either a 3 slot GPU or a 2slot and a separate 1 slot card behind it (with bifurcation)? I think most of them would probably do it with an appropriate riser but…

The Meshlicious claims to support GPUs up to 4 slots thick. It has an adjustable divider and an option for a mesh panel on the GPU side to let it breathe. I would expect zero sound dampening though if that's a concern.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 7, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

edit: wow, wrong thread. oops!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Edited a link to the GN dissertation on the topic of testing because it's generally worth the watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmTOJP4KOyk

It's a shame they never ended up posting reviews for a lot of the coolers shown there. They did end up posting a handful of additional reviews after that video, but not as many as they were saying. They spent a lot of time revamping their testing with what looks like a really great, well-thought-out model, but I guess something else got in the way of posting reviews.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I was gonna use an O11 Mini for my next build, but this is tempting. I don't love the vertical GPU, but I bet a negative pressure setup with two additional fans exhausting on the bottom would help it a lot. (Slim fans only on the bottom, according to the specs.)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm not sure putting both a GPU and a CPU in a loop with just 240mm of radiator space is a good idea, and I don't know how you'd fit in an additional radiator.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

Am just about to start building my own NR200. I've heard a lot about these positive/negative pressure setups, are there any good explainers available for them or is it a matter of more intake vs more exhaust?

How does a PP setup reduce dust? Won't the dust is be sucked in?

With positive pressure, air naturally seeks to escape the case. No air will enter it unless you're forcing it in. This means you can choose exactly where air enters the case while making sure it never enters from any other point of ingress. In effect, this lets you make sure that every place air is entering your case from is filtered. Most modern towers use positive pressure, where they have many intake fans and maybe one or two exhaust fans that mainly serve to guide airflow and make sure that warm air doesn't pool behind a tower cooler.

With negative pressure, air naturally seeks to enter the case. Negative pressure setups can be quite good depending on the setup, such as if you have a GPU facing a mesh panel. You want to encourage air through that mesh to feed the GPU. This is why the meshlicious typically runs its only two fans in exhaust. If you were to run those fans in intake, air would instead by trying to escape the case through the mesh panels, and your downdraft air cooler(s) on the gpu/cpu would be fighting against the airflow, attempting to suck in air that is trying to leave. Because air is attempting to enter into any crevice it can find with negative pressure setups, this is bad for dust management. You will never be able to filter every point of ingress, it's just not feasible. How much of a downside this is depends on your living environment and how frequently you're okay with taking an air duster to your PC.

edit: and yeah, you determine this by pushing in more air than you're actively pulling out for positive pressure or vise versa for negative.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 7, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

Though tbfI only had two top exhaust fans at that point as my chungus 3080 didn't even allow for slim fans on the bottom of the case
Even if you removed the shroud and fans from your 3080? The idea in this setup is to forsake the stock GPU fans and sit your fatass GPU heatsink directly on top of the bottom case fans.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

This never occurred to me, though I imagine even if it had, I would have been too much of a pansy to even partially take apart my extremely-rare and top-of-the-line GPU lol (though I have since gone as far to remove shroud, fans, and heatsink on other, older GPUs)

It's a pretty neat way to cool your GPU effectively while using your much quieter case fans, but whether you can do it at all or not depends heavily on the model of your card and the case you're using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUaZVpN51Po

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For a point of comparison on how NVMe drives look in a well-ventilated midtower, my FireCuda 520 that I slapped a cheap aftermarket heatsink onto (its previous mobo had no built-in heat spreaders and I got worried) idles at 43°C and peaked at 58°C during a sustained three-minute write. My SN850 that's under my motherboard's normal-rear end heat spreader idles at 46°C. This is a drive that notably runs very hot under load. During a sustained write, it peaked at 78°C.

...In other news, I'm now considering buying a second one of those cheap heatsinks. These temps are apparently within spec, but yeesh.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lian Li's real mini case is finally almost here, and they lifted a review embargo today:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lian-li-q58-review
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/lian-li-q58/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goSY9QDE9-E

I really dig the half-glass, half-mesh look.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Platinum power supplies in general generate less waste heat than gold power supplies due to how much more efficient they are. If a platinum PSU isn't quieter than a gold PSU, then something is very wrong.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

I'd been hearing a sort of ticking noise since earlier today so I tried this. No change.

A bit of troubleshooting revealed that the sound was actually coming from the GPU on the other side of the case lol (apparently the fans on certain EVGA models aren't supposed to run below 25 percent? :confused:)

It's how PWM fans work. People in that thread are reporting that it's because their fans are turning on and off again, which makes sense. It takes more power to bring a fan from a standstill to 20% than it does to maintain 20%, but a 20% PWM signal is only enough to do the latter. Some fan controllers will send a stronger pwm signal to the fan for the first second or two before going to its designated duty cycle, but I guess EVGA doesn't. You may be able to run at those lower fan speeds when going back down from a higher speed.

The fans on EVGA's FTW3 coolers for example can go as low as 300 RPM before they stall, but they can't spin up without around 600 RPM worth of power.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 3, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The M1 seems like a great case, but they kind of needed to release something else sooner. I'm kind of shocked that the original version came out eight years ago and whatever they have planned next isn't coming out anytime soon. I know that it's a challenging market for a small company like them, but they really had to come up with something new sooner than this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oof, yeah. It's hard to tell from this picture if the thermal compound didn't spread due to a lack of mounting pressure or if there was not enough paste. Either way, remember that it's very easy to have too little thermal paste, but unless you're using conductive paste, it's basically impossible to have too much. Apply a healthy dab.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The low 70s is very reasonable for a 3900X running an all-core load. The 3900X generally stops at 4GHz during heavy all-core loads, and it only ever reaches higher clocks when utilizing fewer cores. That's just how the boost algorithm and power delivery systems work. This means your non-undervolted configuration is running within spec at good temps. Mark this one as problem solved.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 25, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Undervolting a 3080 Ti is something I've found to be somewhat tricky to find the sweet spot for. I think the best clock speed to target is somewhere around 1900 MHz. This gives pretty close to stock performance, maybe slightly worse, but you can drop voltages by a lot at that clock speed (I'm doing 830-something mV iirc, not at my pc to verify). I would try to dial in an undervolt at around 1850 to 1900 MHz before going further with power limiting, as that is essentially a much less power-efficient form of underclocking.

The 3080 Ti is really quite inefficient above 1900MHz. You can reach up to 2100MHz without much issue (that's the default max boost clock for a lot of OC cards, including the FTW3 Ultra, though you rarely reach it at the stock config), but it does not seem to give a proportional increase in performance.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 3, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

I just tried a 850mv at 1850 undervolt and I was still hitting a loud 79-80C in Outer Worlds where my 75% power limit had it basically lock at a much quieter 70-73C. About 15 to 20 less FPS admittedly, but at 100+ that doesn't really mean much in non-multi games.

Quite a bit of coil whine too, though I'm not sure if it was coming from the PSU or the card itself.

Try combining the two. Do an undervolt and then a power limit. Or alternatively, undervolt and limit your fps in the nvidia control panel. When you power limit, you're reducing current at a given voltage, so you should make sure you're doing so at the most efficient voltages you can. That should help with coil whine too if it's coming from the card.

I also suspect you could get a lower voltage at that clock, but I get it if you don't want to spend ages messing with that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It looks like 2.5-slot GPUs will fit (the reference 6800XT they used is that). Length will be the biggest concern. 275mm is listed as the max length, so that rules out a lot of GPUs. The 3080 FE is 285mm long, for instance. As Linus said, just one more centimeter would've fit those in. It would've brought the case from 13 liters to 13.5 liters, which expands support to some of the most popular GPUs out there. Considering they're advertising the case as being compatible with a wide range of GPUs, that seems like a pretty dumb oversight.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 20, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, the "pizza- box"/console-style cases are good for that. They're the most space-efficient form factor if you want to maintain big GPU compatibility, but some people don't like how tall they stand.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So far I've only seen leaks regarding laptop parts. I'm not sure if there is a desktop Rembrandt APU on the way or not.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I feel like most mATX cases are poorly equipped to handle modern GPUs. They're mostly just miniature midtowers with bottom-mounted PSUs that stifle your GPU's airflow. It's even worse if there's a PSU shroud, and your GPU has about an inch or two to breathe only. I'd like to see more creativity in the mATX space. The O11 mini was a good start, but it's still built to accommodate full ATX as well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Phanteks' "ultra-fine mesh" metal panels have 1mm hole sizes. Lian Li typically uses 1.5mm, for comparison.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NZXT just announced the the H1 - Totally Won't Catch on Fire This Time, We Swear Edition

It comes a 750W PSU, a Gen 4 riser cable, and an AIO, for $400. Shipping on the 21st. Kinda expensive for what you're getting, but that's maybe worth it for people who are looking for an NR200P Max-like easy setup process but want a smaller desk footprint.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

No top fan mounting makes that a hard pass for me tbh

That case seems like too much of a compromise to fit an matx board into a smaller case.

It doesn't even support mATX. I wish it did.

Top fan mounts are optional when you have so much airflow in the front, bottom, and back though. Early reviews seem fairly positive on the thermal performance. It helps that you can still fit in a D15 with a 180x35mm fan blasting it with air. That's probably the only case fan you need, honestly, though a 120mm exhaust can't hurt.

The real issue is size. It's mITX-only but 37.5L lol

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I like the visual design of the mini x, but i do not like the hole pitch on that side panel. It seems this is a vertical-only arrangement for your GPU, and it's going against a panel that doesn't seem porous enough.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The United States posted:

What if an ever expanding top hat to allow for ever expanding CPU CLC radiators (and ever expanding GPUs)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2APNNZhX6i4

I will say though that "ultra fine" mesh does not look that fine

Now available for pre-order: https://www.phanteksusa.com/collections/newsletter/products/evolv-shift-xt

$170, comes with a PCIe 4 riser cable, ships in 4 weeks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

5600x is Zen 3. The next gen will be Zen 3D.

Zen 3D will be really more of a brief pitstop with a single SKU than a generation.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you do top intake with a horizontal GPU, you would want to do bottom intake as well and then let air passively exhaust out the side. Otherwise, the airflow in the case would make life harder for your GPU fans. Using a low profile CPU cooler could help with letting the backplate get direct airflow.

The optimal vertical GPU setup for the NR200 is fans exhausting out the top and bottom so air comes in through the side, though this won't result in much air touching the backplate. Having 1:1 intake to exhaust would give the backplate some air, but it would also make it so the GPU fans have a harder time pulling in air, increasing your GPU core temps.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pork Chops Aplenty posted:

Is it worth buying a 12th gen Intel chip for a new SFF/ITX couch gaming build right now, specifically a 12400? There don't seem to be many ITX motherboards out there that can handle 12xxx and DDR4 RAM. Should I just roll with a 5600x/10400/11400/something else and a cheaper/more easily obtainable mobo?

Draft pcpartpicker list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R4MD8r

I would prefer to avoid upgrading the motherboard/CPU again for a while and I'm not really in any rush if there are some decent options coming in the future.

EDIT: Targeting 1080p/60FPS/ultra on recent/upcoming AAAs (elden ring, cyberpunk, etc)

I'd just go with a 5600X in this case, if it + a b550 itx motherboard are cheaper than a 12400 + b660 itx motherboard. The 12400 is either tied with the 5600X or just slightly behind it when it comes to gaming performance, depending on which review you check. You do not need a better CPU than either in order to do 60fps at 1080p. Actually, an 11400 would likely do, but there could be some games that make use of the extra cpu power (simulations, some strategy games maybe, dunno what you're playing)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 24, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

That's hard to believe.

small fans that spin at high rpms are quieter than big fans that spin at high rpms. so no, it's not really hard to believe

your old loud blower gpu probably spun at 4k rpm or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm usually not a fan of open PC designs, but I like the look of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMmTMr66Csc

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPUWSBn4Fys&t=353s

It's not mini-ITX, but does it still count as SFF if it's less than 20 liters? Seriously though, that case seems good. The dan cases/lian li collab is bringing out some good results.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Air cooling is perfectly possible in the Meshilicious with some low-profile coolers. Just make sure you still put two exhaust fans in. They're basically essential to making the case work.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 6, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Just saw this Meshlicious ripoff case from Jonsbo: https://www.newegg.com/black-jonsbo...BE9S3316-_--_-1

Well, okay, it has curved edges and a solid top panel, so that means it's completely different. :v:

It's also just a smidge bigger (10 - 20mm) in all three dimensions. The Meshilicious already had fairly generous clearances, but this one will be a bit more generous it looks like. It comes with a 4.0 riser cable for $20 cheaper than the meshlicious, which strikes me as not a lot of money to save when getting a knockoff. But who knows, maybe it's secretly really good in its own right?

edit: it's 19.87L as opposed to 14.67L, so a pretty big difference, actually.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 8, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ughhhh posted:

It was more of a general question. For example does a 3060 preform as well as a 2070 while using less electricity? With the way energy prices are going up I would have thought Nvidia or AMD would release some skew geared towards some power efficient form, but I guess if something can be more efficient, they would just pump up the power more to push more performance out of it. It's just sad to see everything getting hotter and more power hungry from cpus, to gpus. Even the power settings in nvida control panel isnt very intuitive, nor is it advertised very much.

looking at this link (passmark tdp ranking), i wouldn't mind buying a laptop skew gpu for my pc, but i assume that is just a undervolted gpu?

Cards are getting both more power efficient and more power hungry at the same time, yeah. Though that does mean you can still pick up lower-end cards that run low TDPs. I wouldn't be surprised if the only sub-200W cards from Nvidia next generation will be the 4050 and lower, for instance, but a 150W 4050 or whatever could theoretically still (if tuned correctly, hopefully) end up running as well as a ~200W 30-series card or better.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 13, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Higher efficiency power supplies also tend to be quieter since they generate less heat, which is another benefit.

And many SFF cases don't dump the heat outside the case. You often see cases where the power supply is shoved wherever the case designers could fit it. For example, the recent Lian Li Q58 or the ever popular NR200. From the pc building thread:

That kind of PSU mount is not uncommon.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 24, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lian Li/SSUPD announced the "Meshroom S," the successor to the Meshilicious: https://www.ssupd.co/products/meshroom-s?variant=41860124180664

It appears to be much the same as the Meshilicious except with an extra fan/radiator rail (allowing up to 2x 280mm rads), tweaks to the motherboard standoffs for easier cable management, and extra pump mounting locations for custom loop water cooling. I don't think there are any other differences, so the Meshlicious design will still hold up for a normal AIO setup.

The "Meshroom D" was also mentioned in the press release, but no details were given other than it will be 14.97 liters (as opposed to the S's 14.93 liters) and it's coming soon.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh wow, you're right. I missed that detail. I wonder how that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh, so it's just an all-mesh NR200?