Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Any good cases that would be a good fit for a 11.25" non blower GPU (Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070)? I was looking at the Core V1 but it won't accept my GPU length.

I was looking at the RVZ01 but I heard it's a bad idea to use a non blower GPU with it due to bad air flow. I would have got a blower but I wasn't planning to upgrade to an ITX SFF build at the time.

edit: oh wow nevermind, after looking through some other forums, the Core V1 seems to fit my card. The extra 3mm in specs for the G1 1070 was for the DVI port.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Thanks to this topic, I ended up building a mini ITX Skylake computer. I had a hard time picking a case. I was going to go the Thermaltake Core V1 route but that wasn't much smaller then my current Cooler Master N200. Then I started looking at the Node 202 and the RVZ02. I ended up going with the RVZ02 since my GTX 1070 was a non blower cooler.

I previously had a haswell mATX + r9 290 from 2013. It's worked great but I wanted a smaller form factor that plays well with a future Hackintosh set up. I currently develop (non work related / for fun) on my personal Macbook Pro and then game on my PC. I hope to sell my personal MBP later when Pascal is supported in OSX and only keep my work MBP and my desktop as my only computers.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($345.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Silverstone AR06 40.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($145.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg) (OSX Boot Drive)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.84 @ Amazon) (Windows 10 Boot Drive)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($419.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
External Storage: Seagate Expansion 5TB External Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon) (Media files / Scratch Disk for video editing)
Total: $1521.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-12 01:35 EDT-0400

Building:

Building in this case has been super easy. I had trouble with cable management due to the small spaces but due to the different compartment chambers, I didn't worry too much about it. Installing the Mobo, PSU, and the GPU was easier then building in my Antec 300 case. The only other case I used before was a CoolerMaster N200, and this case was easier to build in. My SSDs slid right in easily and my fullsize GPU fit in without having to worry about wires / cages like in a regular mATX case.

The Gigabyte mobo is a pain in the rear end since the front panel usb 3.0 connector is right next to the CPU. This caused problems with my CPU cooler. It still plugged in but the wire touches a little bit with the CPU cooler which worries me. If I had to choose another mobo, I would have, but I was stuck with it for my Hackintosh build.

I ended up getting a Cryorig C7 CPU cooler too, but ended up using the AR06 instead since you can replace the fan with any generic 92mm fan. If anyone's interested, I'll put it on SA Mart. I only opened the box to look at it.

Temperatures:

This was done in my apartment with no AC. According to my thermostat, room temperature was at 78 Celsius. No AC because I live in the Northwest. It's the Summer, so it usually isn't this hot.

I was able to fit a 11.25" Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070 in the RVZ02 comfortably. The temperatures get a little hot as it maxes at 75 Celsius when running Fire Strike Extreme. The 1070 stays at 2035 Mhz when running the Fire Strike extreme demo / test. If I tweek the fan curve to be more aggressive, it drops the temperatures down to 65 Celsius but the card then sounds like a blower R9 290. I haven't tried overclocking the i7 6700k to the max since I was only allowed to use a low profile CPU cooler in this case. The RVZ02 can only fit a 58mm aftermarket CPU cooler. I overclocked the i7 6700k to 4.4 Ghz from the stock 4 Ghz and it was reaching 70 Celsius at full load. I didn't want to bump the voltage/clock higher since that was the highest I felt comfortable with temperature wise.

I put the same mobo and GPU in my old Antec 300 case and both CPU / GPU temperatures dropped by 10 degrees Celsius under full load. That's the price you pay for no case fans and for a compact chasis.

Noise:

This build is near silent during idle / web browsing thanks to both the Gigabyte G1 1070 and Silverstone Power Supply. Both turn off their fans during low usage. Full load is a different story. It sounds really noisy compared to my full steel Antec 300 case. Under full load, I could barely hear my Antec 300 case compared to my RVZ02. A big difference though might have been that I kept my Antec 300 on the floor while I have my RVZ02 on my desk. I recommended the RVZ02 for anyone looking for a thin small computer case. It is a bit noisy though if that bothers you.

Overall, I am really happy with the RVZ02. The only thing that bothers me about this set up is that my ultrawide is Freesync. I didn't think I would have missed adaptive sync that much but after a week with my GTX 1070, I caved in. Now I have to wait for my X34 to get here, and then flip this Freesync ultrawide on craigslist after.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 12, 2016

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

snuff posted:

Nice build, but

That is a dangerous temperature, your body will thermal throttle and you will probably die.

Welp too late at night. Definitely meant Fahrenheit. Curse you imperial system

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks, this was really helpful. I was thinking about building in an ML08, which seems really similar to this case, and the one thing that was giving me pause was temperatures. Also from reading the parts thread everyone is saying overclocking a gaming rig is a no-brainer at this point, and not doing so is leaving money on the table, but that would be putting more heat into the system...

The ML08 is the same exact chassis, except the ML08 has a sweet handle on top and a different looking front plate. I'm actually going to email Silverstone to see if I can just buy the handle since I can screw it on top of my case if I decide to take my PC somewhere.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 12, 2016

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Any updates on how this system is doing? I am planning to pull the trigger on a build that's basically this but in the ML08B. You mentioned some high temperatures and I am kind of worried about putting in an overclocking CPU and 1070 into a fanless case...

If I had to do it again, I would get a blower card and use a i5 6600k (or lower TDP) processor. It's perfect for gaming but when I start doing any video encoding using hand brake / adobe premiere pro, the CPU hits really high temperatures (80-85 degrees). I'm not sure how much is because of the Hyper Threading. Too much heat builds up when doing high CPU intensive tasks and can't keep up. Same thing happens with Prime 95. It's still reasonably below 90, but it's not ideal. I don't feel comfortable with those temperatures for a long period of time.

Playing video games, it never goes hotter then 70 CPU wise. GPU does run a little hot, for example, when playing Overwatch at 1440p / Ultra the temperatures hit around 80 degrees. The 1070 is efficient though so the fans never really run at 100 percent. If those temperatures are too high you can probably implement a custom fan curve to cool it down more. I'd still prefer a blower cooler since it would push the hot air out of the case. Now if you remove the dust filters, temperatures do drop 5-10 degrees for both the CPU and GPU but that's a pain in the rear end to do each time I decide to do any video editing.

edit: If you want a small case and haven't bought any parts yet, look at the Silverstone Sugo SG13. You can install an AIO water cooler along with a 10.5" blower 1070 card in a smaller footprint then the RVZ02. I would actually go this route if I did it again.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 26, 2016

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

S4 Mini case with this GPU is easily the most powerful PC in the smallest space in the world, at least until someone makes a Thunderbolt dock where you stick a NUC and GPU together in it.

Wow I just looked up that case. That is smaller then eGPU thunderbolt enclosures.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Coldforge posted:

drat, hopefully the 480s have gotten better, I picked one up on the way home and just saw this :(

Thanks for the response, even if I'm too stupid and impatient to heed it.

The 1060 may run a bit cooler but the benefit of having a 480 is that you can use FreeSync monitors without having to pay the G-Sync tax. I have a 1060 6gb for my HTPC. It was a bit ahead compared to the 480 when it first came out. But now, it looks like the 480 is on par or better with AMD improving driver support. The 480 edges out as the 480 will be better in DX12 games in the future and has 8gb of VRAM vs 6gb.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Maxwell Adams posted:

Good thing he put that extra sideways fan in front of the heatsink. Wouldn't want those cables to be starved for airflow.

That'd be the power supply fan if you checked the layout of the RVZ02

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 10, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Mung Dynasty posted:

I've seen another stupid RVZ02 build like that where parts are extended beyond the case and the window is all open/exposed. Like, what is the drat point?

Portability without the sacrifice of temperatures. I don't need it but maybe the case study requires a computer case with a handle that's easy to transport?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Grundulum posted:

No handles on the Raven. Still small as hell and easy enough to carry to/from your car, though.

You can add the handle from the ML08 case if you email Silverstone. I did and got one for my HTPC. mL08 is the same case basically as the RVZ02. The picture shows a RVZ02 with the ML08 handle

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Switching from my Gigabyte G1 1070 (open air cooler) to my Nvidia 1080 Ti Founders Edition (Blower) in my RVZ02 has a noticable difference in temperatures when it comes to my CPU.

I used to hit 85-90 degrees celsius when streaming (CPU encoding) and playing a game. With the blower, I haven't even hit 80 degrees on my CPU yet when playing and streaming. I'm surprised it's that big of a difference because the RVZ02 has it's own GPU chamber but I guess my G1 1070 just recycled hot air

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I wish they had a non windowed version. I don't like the thought of shattering the tempered glass window when moving the thing.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Wow I just read how horrible NZXT's CAM software is with its telemetry. When issues were addressed by concerned customers, they doubled down saying it was good for the customer that NZXT had their information. What a horrible company. I was going to maybe get the H200i but not anymore

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

kloa posted:

Just don't install 3rd party software? :shrug:

When you're paying a premium for a "smart" case that allows you to control RGB lighting and fans along with the adaptive noise reduction feature, it sucks that it's locked behind proprietary software that has telemetry built into it. There's no reason for NZXT to collect information from you just for "case" software.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Palladium posted:

Not to intentionally rain on the parade, but it's the exactly the same volume as my new budget CM Masterbox 3 mATX case. Which is why I lost most of my love towards the ITX+ATX PSU combo.

True, I had a mATX build in the Cooler Master N200 case which is similar. I loved it but switched over to the ITX form factor. The only thing that sucks is that there aren't many mATX mobos with the features I want on the Z370 platform.

Anyways, I just finished my 8700k Coffee Lake ITX build. It's not really a SFF since it's in the Fractal Design Nano S but I wanted a case that could fit the Noctua NH-D15 so I can keep temperatures low.

It's a tight fit but it worked. Running Prime95 with AVX temp stress test, the CPU doesn't get hotter then 75 degrees C at an Overclock of 5.0 Ghz @ 1.30 v

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 27, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Olivil posted:

what about the GPU? Looking at a very similar setup.

I went with a blower card since the power supply is so close to the card. If you want an open air cooler, I would get a SFX power supply to give your GPU more breathing room. I don't know how using an open air GPU would affect the CPU thermals since the open air GPU would be recycling the hot air in the case. You can probably avoid this problem if you delid, but I didn't delid. This doesn't matter if you use an AIO CPU cooler.

The GPU doesn't get hotter then 70 degrees but I manually set the fan curve to be aggressive so it can boost to 2000MHz. The default settings are quieter (doesn't sound like a jet engine) but the GPU hits 80 degrees and the card's max boost becomes 1900MHz.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 27, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

The Dreamer posted:

I got my new i5-8600k PC put together in a Nano S. Using a Zotac Mini 1080 with an open cooler and it seems to be staying in a reasonable temperature range when gaming. I'll have to check it again later when I'm playing but so far nothing seems to be overheating or throttling even just using air cooling. I'll probably upgrade my CPU cooler to an AIO of some sort though, because I have the room and the Noctua L12s I have is a beast of a cooler. It covers a significant portion of the motherboard and makes plugging anything into the motherboard, including RAM a nightmare. Keeps the CPU cool though.

I'm also regretting not getting a motherboard and case that support the new USB 3.1 header because connecting the 3.0 cable to the mobo was a pain with the heatsink in the way. Ended up bending a couple pins because I couldn't get it to line up straight at first. Managed not to break any though and got it to connect eventually.

The front USB 3.0 cables are stupid thick and annoying to work with. I had the mistake of getting a gigabyte itx mobo for my hackintosh build and the front USB 3.0 header was right next to the heatsink in the middle of the mobo. I made sure the next itx mobo I bought that the USB 3.0 header was on the outer edges of the mobo. That was the only way I could fit the NH-D15 while still having the front ports.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

I encountered a small snag with the Gigabyte GA-H270-Wifi and its rear mounted M2 slot in the Nano S.

Let's hope it doesn't need replacing during the lifetime of the motherboard. :v:

It's pretty easy to slide in. I've done it before

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Llamadeus posted:

I think that's because the A4 has a regular Type A header on the inside, if you wanted to connect an actual Type C to a B450 board you'd need something like this: https://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=871&area=en

Looks like the upcoming Asus Mini-DTX X570 board might be one of the only small AM4 motherboards with a Gen2 connector.

The type A header is on the right and the Type C header is on the left.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Llamadeus posted:

Not sure what's being implied here :confused:

I was just adding more information. I was pointing out most upcoming mobos should include both and to look out for both connectors in mobos if you want front USB-C. Unless you want to deal with an adapter that looks like it'll snap easily. B450 is not upcoming sadly but if you wait for the B550 boards they might include both like above

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Ncase opening up orders again on Saturday morning. Worth getting? I was on the fence last year in november and last saturday. But with Ryzen chips getting cheaper...