Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
The more I've looked at cases the more perplexed I've become over what choice to make. I went from the rvz01 to the ftz01 to now wanting a fractal node 304. This would be a lot easier if I didn't want to keep an internal 3.5" hard drive :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Griffith86 posted:

The Node 304 has slots for 6 3.5" drives as I'm sure you know... I personally only have one of the HDD cages (1 of 3, all removable) installed so I could have a full video card but I have a 1TB HDD and a SSD in mine and haven't had any issues whatsoever. It's a very tight case though once you get everything packed into it so that's something to keep in mind.

From what I can tell it's a lot less packed than the rvz01 or ftz01. I am just going to keep my 1tb ssd and a 6tb WD 3.5" drive for files. A lot of the super small cases (Node 202) don't have any room for a 3.5" drive. I just want it to fit in my TV console eventually.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/hd-media-console/s339688

I mean, it's great there are this many options.

The SG13b is too meshy for what I'm looking for. The FTZ01 is really the closest thing I've seen so far. If the Node 202 could fit a larger HDD I would buy that.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
Finally pulled the trigger on the new build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.69 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($314.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($196.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Silverstone FTZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($19.58 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1530.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-30 23:45 EDT-0400

Managed to get the CPU at Microcenter for $289 and the 1080 from Newegg for $649. The storage I already have in my current build. The CPU cooler won't fit with the top fan so that may go to the GPU cage. I'm really excited. This should be considerably smaller than my current case (Corsair 600T). Plan is to have a 4k capable gaming rig to use on my Samsung JS8500 that fits in the media console. Fingers crossed.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Man cooling is gonna be a bitch on that, or at least it's gonna be loud as poo poo in 4k. Still that'll be one hell of a computer. Why are you getting a HDD alongside a 1TB SSD? Surely you won't need that much storage space?

I actually do. I'm dropping a couple drives for this build. Will report back how loud/hot it is.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
I thought you always wanted a RAM pairing for dual channel? Is that from days gone and doesn't apply anymore?

Also, while researching my own build I read several people saying that ASRock boards of late were giving people trouble and to avoid them. The Impact board seems really bizarre to me with the U.2 inclusion instead of M.2 so I ended up just going for the step down board.

Another thing to note for anyone considering a FTZ01 case, the power cable doesn't have much slack and the new Corsair power supply orients the plug opposite the Silverstone power supply. Hard to explain, but basically the 90 degree adapter needs to flip to fit but there really isn't much slack for the power cable to do so. You can just not have it as flush against the side (what I did) near the graphic card section or you can route it differently through the middle around the motherboard. Either way will work but it's kind of lame that there isn't an extra inch or so on the power cable.

particle9 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 2, 2016

particle9
Nov 14, 2004

tuna posted:

This is the direction I'm taking my Ncase build in:

Usual 6700k / 32gb. Went with the evga z170 because the Asus was out locally and I went with a Silverstone 500w SFX-L. Reusing my current 970.

The only remarkable thing about this is that I'm going to be cramming in this Be Quiet Dark Rock TF as my cooler. It only fits onto the EVGA board in one direction (barely, touching poo poo on either side), and only goes north of the board a small amount which I think the Ncase will allow . The real test will be to see if it fits in depth. If it doesn't I can remove the top fan and figure out something else. My Ncase isn't even arriving until the end of July :( It'll be running "open" until then since my old computer was dying at a rapid rate I had to press on.

That cat is going to knock that poo poo on the floor bro.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004

Rexxed posted:

Do you guys know of a decent prebuilt HTPC style system that will fit in a media center and have a decent graphics card for around $700? This guy in the parts picking thread needs help and I don't want to tell him to get an Alienware Alpha due to the mobile GPU. He was looking at some terrible HP with a GTX 745.

Maybe a Falcon Northwest Tiki? https://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/tiki/design Not $700 though. I mean, $700 is pretty low for a pre-built all inclusive with discreet graphics. For that range he's looking at something like a Alienware Alpha.

particle9 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 5, 2016

particle9
Nov 14, 2004

particle9 posted:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.69 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($314.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($196.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Silverstone FTZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($19.58 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1530.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-30 23:45 EDT-0400

Typing from this monster. Took an hour and change to set up. I ended up putting the heatsink on last which was maybe possibly a mistake. The case is amazing once it's closed, building in such a tight space is definitely a challenge. There is zero cable management here. Management boiled down to "lets try and shove all of this far enough away from the heatsink that it doesn't bend forward". The thermals are good so far. After 10 minutes or so at 100% CPU it gets up to about 56, idles around 39. The CPU fan is by far the loudest thing so far, but I haven't fired off a game yet. Definitely happy with the build. My work buddy is building in a Fractal 202 tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

edit: Scored 17000+ on Firestrike without even overclocking anything.

particle9 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 6, 2016

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
The HSF is too tall for the case but the top fan is optional/removable. What I did was use the shorter fan that comes with the case attached above the cpu to replace the larger fan that comes with the heatsink (the heatsink has two fans, one optional top, one 90mm under the grills). Then I used the top fan that came with the HSF in the empty fan slot under the gpu. I don't have a blower gpu, I wouldn't get one there is plenty of air for gpu's in this case. Just make sure with larger after markets you take stock of measurements. I think the MSI is too wide for example. The evga sc totally fits great for me. I think people have put STRIX in this case as well.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Thank you, that clarifies things quite a bit! Can I solicit your subjective opinion on the portability of the case?

No problem, glad to help. Portability is an interesting question. I think that ultimately the answer is "yes" with a but for this particular case. The case, while small, is still pretty heavy. You can move it around and put it into tight spaces but I wouldn't want to be carrying this thing. If I was going to be carting this every week to a LAN party or something I'd want it to have a handle like this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163287

This is much more of a HTPC or desktop replacement imo. It just doesn't really have a nice grip to carry it around a lot of places. The Raven might even be better because I have to imagine a case made of plastic is lighter than one made of all metal. That being said the metal will probably stand up to more abuse. Hope that helps give you an idea. If I had to guess I would say that my build weighs around 18-22lbs.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004

ufarn posted:

Is there a reason to not go with the $50 upsale built-in PSU for the Fractal 202 case?

No, it should be good and the cable lengths will all be good.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
Nice. I have the same cooler in a FTZ01. It was a tough fit but it works pretty well. I used the extra fan near the GPU as well.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
The thing I don’t understand with the meshilicious is how you have multiple displays if you need to use a right angle connection. It seems like you would maybe be able to use like two before they were pushing into one another.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
Oh wow yeah that makes more sense. Thanks!

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
I updated my FTZ01 build. It now has a EVGA XC3 3080 and an AMD 5900x running with a new BS3 cooler. Works great, temps idle in the 50's and top out around 84c on full load. Looking at 24 processors in task manager is super geeky thrilling. Build is a little loud, I wish it was a bit more silent. I might take a look at the ssdup meshlicious when it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
Wanted to share my update. I originally built a sff in a Silverstone FTZ-01 case but two years ago upgraded to a 5900x and 3080 in there. I had a lot of challenges cooling and eventually ended up kind of ok with a Big Shuriken 3 and a negative pressure case. By ok I mean... 70ish idle temps and 90ish peak temps (throttle probably).

I was recently able to snag an nr200p max off amazon. I wasn't sure if I was even going to build in it as it's pretty pricey I just got it because I had regretted not buying it before when it was in stock, but when it was delivered I couldn't not build in it. It took about 2.5hr to quickly build the system (hardly any cable management). Of that probably 1.5hr were disassembly of the existing FTZ-01 case (not a very simple case to dissemble). It took a lot longer than I thought to build in, but if you were starting from scratch and familiar with liquid coolers it would probably take 45 minutes.

I hit the power button and nothing happened. It was super late at night so that made me soooo upset, but it turned out the default position of the power supply is to off so that was an easy fix. Everything booted up fine after that. Checking my new temps... idle at 48-56, and peak after Cinebench run was 71. Yikes! Almost a 30 degree difference. The first night it sounded actually kind of louder than I thought it would but now on the second day I think a lot of that was the 3.5" drive and break in. The system is very quiet, especially at peak fan speed. I don't think it's the best looking case, I think something like the meshilicious or the H1 v2 would probably look cooler. I'm glad I made the switch and can see this lasting for another 5 years at least.