Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
I ordered an NCASE M1 for my next build. It won't be here for a few weeks, so naturally I'm obsessing over every other part I'm purchasing.

I'm planning on a 6700k/GTX 1070 build. I may overclock them slightly, so I've been looking at 600W power supplies.

I've heard that the Corsair SF600 PSU can be loud. I've heard similar/mixed things about the Silverstone SX600. Does anybody have experience with either? Would either be louder than a GTX 970/1070 under load? Alternatively, I've heard that the 450W versions of both power supplies are considerably more quiet--but would they be enough to power a potentially-overclocked 6700k/1070?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I thought about backing the DAN case, but I'd rather save money and get a N-CASE M1 much faster.

Speaking of the N-CASE M1, is there any sort of consensus as to what CPU fan to get? I'm not even sure if I want to go air-cooling or watercooling.

I ordered an M1 last week so I've been obsessively planning my own build. After a bunch of research, I settled on air cooling. It sounds like most AIO coolers are a pain to deal with. And I don't want to deal with custom water cooling.

I chose the Noctua NH-U9S. Picture from a build that I'm basing mine on:

It fits with two fans in either orientation, with room for a 120mm radiator from a hybrid video card in the right side slot.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

triple sulk posted:

I caved and bought an M1 and it looks fantastic. With regards to temps for SFF, what do you all typically aim for? I got an H105 for liquid cooling because its tubes were flexible and narrow enough to fit, but if I clock my 6700k to 4.7ghz it can get up to 70+ degrees under load, whereas 4.4ghz has it between about 55-60. I'm wondering if I should put on a different paste than what it came with (which I do have), or if I should switch it out to one of those Noctua heatsinks (I have two Noctua fans on the radiator) as people seem to like those for these builds. The GPU seems to get between 65-70ish when in use, but as it's a 1080 I'm not particularly bothered by that. The system is super quiet though, so perhaps I should just leave it as is.

I'd like to know too. My recent M1 build, using a Noctua NH-U9S on a 6700k at stock (4.2ghz turbo) speeds, averages around 65-70 when under load. My GPU, a 1070 FE, gets to 82-83 under heavy load at stock speeds.

I added a side intake fan in front of the push-pull setup of the CPU cooler, and some intakes on the bottom of the case beneath the GPU. They don't seem to help much.

That's a shot from my current fan layout (excuse the lovely cabling). I moved the 92mm fan from behind the CPU to the bottom of the case, and moved a 120mm fan to the side panel. Overall no configuration seems to make a huge difference.

Karsh fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 25, 2016

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Coredump posted:

For anyone that ordered the Ncase M1, did you get another email after the paypal receipt with shipping info, etc? How long did it take to arrive if you did? I ordered on Friday and just have the email from Paypal. I'm fully expecting this case to take 3 weeks or so to arrive, just curious about the communication part.

I got a shipping notification and DHL tracking number ~3 weeks after I ordered, and received it roughly a week after.