Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Rexxed posted:

Yeah that's fair and those look beautiful but I'm guessing that far exceeds his budget. I guess I'll suggest the alienware alpha to begin with and if anyone else has suggestions for someone who's scared to build their own, please help that dude out.

Lol woah thanks, didn't even know this thread existed. I was just expecting people to tell me I was stupid for looking at pre-builts.

Rukus posted:

Why not part out a build using something like a Fractal Design Node 605 or some version of the Silverstone Grandias at NCIX and have them build it for him?

I'd recommend sticking to the mATX or ATX variations to increase compatibility with your standard ATX-sized components which are generally less expensive than those specifically designed for SFF.

That's a pretty cool service. $50 is ridiculously cheap. I was looking into something similar from Microcenter but that said it "started" at $120, from what I could tell.

Any suggestions for a good case that runs quiet and cool? I know that's a problem with these smaller ones, but I was looking at cube-shaped ones from cooler master that might be good?

My budget is flexible and I have very little idea what I'm doing. I'm not looking to spend thousands as this is mostly for indies/last-gen games and an alternative to the Xbox One for access to those "exclusives."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Very close to jumping on this build. First ever PC building experience, and doing it SFF is scary, but an interesting challenge. I've watched multiple build videos on YouTube using this case, too, so I pretty much know exactly what to expect with it.

Anything stick out as a horrible idea? Or are there any better suggestions?

Also, I'm looking at something like this? for the second 2.5" drive slot, because 500gb is not going to be enough. And I'm also wondering if it's a good idea to get two optional fans for the space below the GPU. The only problem is I've read that some people have had trouble fitting both the fans and the GPU stability mount at the same time, as they use the same bracket. Are there good, thin fans? And since my MOBO only has one slot for case fans, can I even install two of them?

Oh, and also, with regard to the GPU. There's a used like new GTX 970 blower style card on Amazon for $220. Seems like a good deal? I was waiting for the 1060, but that's gonna be months before I can get one in the blower style for not super expensive, right? And I'm also feeling like I'd rather use a card I've already seen other people use with similar builds. Am I being stupid?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($42.34 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($160.46 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($274.92 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($85.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1133.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-17 15:50 EDT-0400

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Coredump posted:

Yeah if you can put your pc together and run off onboard video for a while I would wait if you could. Gpu market is kinda unsettled at the moment with new releases and such. If you can't wait shopping for parts used in sa-mart had treated me well for the past several years.

Yeah, I guess I should just be patient, especially since the onboard graphics could still entertainment plenty for a little bit.

But are the other issues with my part list besides the GPU!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, nobody should be building with a new 970 at this point. Wait for the custom 480s or 1060s.

My 1060 is in the mail :)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

My Fractal Node 202 case has space below the GPU for two fans blowing right on it. It also has a GPU support bumper which helps hold up the GPU. The only problem is that the bumper goes right where the fans are.

If I remove the left-side fan, I can have both the bumper and the right fan. If I leave both fans in, the GPU is only supported by the screws in the back (the I/O ports] and the "plug" part.

I hate how it just hangs over the fans like that with no support. Will I miss a lot if I remove the left fan?

My other idea was to DIY my own support somehow, like by sticking something on top of the right fan. I'm not sure what, though, or how well that would work.

Advice?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

blaitarch posted:

i have that case with a gtx 970 acx. the two backplate screws plus the pcie extender are solid - i dont think the support bumper is really necessary.

you worry about this but its not terribly different from having an un-supported video card in a tower case? id leave the two fans and not worry about 'sag'

additionally, being 25mm tall fans, there isnt much room to 'sag' anyway

Well in a normal tower case isn't the GPU centered on the plug? So the center of balance is even.

With this, the majority of the weight is on one side and it seems like it could cause the plug to snap.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Node 202 is really nice but kind of a pain to work in.

The bottom comes off via these little snaps that are very difficult to undo. You need to do this to clean out the bottom dust filters.

Also, be sure that your screwdriver skills are up to snuff because there are some hard to reach corners.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

So the Fractal Node 202 doesn't have a speaker for the motherboard to connect to for the little beep noises, correct? I never found one. Is that unusual?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

$125 seems like $30-$40 too much for Windows. If that's because you want a USB version, just make it yourself.

Also I think the general wisdom with SFF builds is to only use blower-style GPUs?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I have a reference 1060 in a Node 202 case and it's great so far. People say blowers are supposed to be loud but it has been shockingly quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Quite A Tool posted:

How do you like the Node 202? Main reason I went with the Silverstone is because from what I read the RVZ02 is easier to build in, and I haven't built a computer since the 486 days. Having the option for a standard HD would be nice.

Full disclosure i built my computer like two weeks ago, my first time ever, and it did take me a couple days... But I also had very little time and made stupid mistakes like dropping screws.

The bottom is a pain to take off. It's held on by these snaps, and they murder your fingers. It's better to sort of... pry them back with a screwdriver. I dunno. It sucks, but you can figure it out.

Actually building in it is easy as long as you're not dumb (I was dumb) Jayztwocents and Hardware Canucks both have YouTube videos you can watch to see how it works. You definitely want a modular PSU.

Also, if you do get the node 202, be aware that to insert the GPU you need to remove part of the mid-section of the case. The manual will point out three screws on top to undo. There's actually a fourth, on the back of the case. The manual neglected to mention it! I only found it by watching them do it in the Hardware Canucks video.

Also, taking that GPU portion out early makes installing the motherboard way easier.

I like the case a lot. It looks nice and keeps things pretty cool, but you'll probably want a non-stock CPU cooler.