Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers
I have an RVZ01B and need a new GPU. I was previously using a 960 with an ACX 2.0 cooler that, IIRC, was usually 70-75c during peak gaming. I'm looking at either a 480 or a 1070 to get more perf for the same wattage (the 960 was rated for 160W max), but am wondering if I should get a blower-style card this time around, both for better cooling (?) and to make it easier to put the GPU bracket on - it was really tricky to find the right spot so that it would hold the card up without covering either of the fans.

If it matters, I'll have an i5-4590 with the stock cooler on the other side. Noise isn't a huge issue since I couch game and sit 10' from the PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Coredump posted:

Have you seen any of Gigabyte's cards with the full water block and all-in-one cooler? They have a 980ti and now a 1080 version coming out soonish.

Thanks, but I'm not interested in going that high, either in power consumption (980ti) or price (1080). Was just wondering which style of cooler works better in the RVZ01 as I saw a couple posts here and there saying that blower-style would work better, but further reading suggests that open-air is actually preferable, as less heat from the GPU gets transferred to the SSD that way.

If I have temp issues with my new GPU after I get it, I'll just add another fan to the GPU compartment - I'm only using the two fans that came with the case right now, one over the CPU and the other on one of the GPU compartment vents.

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

So I was just playing Talos Principle and got some wicked stuttering, so I checked the temps. CPU (i5-4590) was in the low-to-mid 60s, GPU (1070) was in the low 80s but the fans were still only at ~50%. I've got stock everything in my RVZ01B - stock CPU cooler and just the two stock fans that came with it.

Granted, it's been scorching hot in New England for the last few weeks and ambient temp in my house right now is 80 F. Do I need to go out and get an extra case fan for the GPU and a custom CPU cooler, or will I be fine once the daily highs drop back out of the mid-90s?

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

Why don't you just adjust the fan curve with a program like Afterburner?

I hadn't tried that yet because I've never done it before. But, isn't that a little like putting a Band-Aid over a festering wound?

I mean, if I don't have my case set up to adequately cool my components in the first place, is working my GPU fans beyond the default curve (which I have to assume was set up that way for a reason) really the right move?

Also, I was a bit more worried about the CPU temp than the GPU - I thought anything up to 85c was okay for a GPU, but I saw a couple search results that said that CPUs shouldn't spend an extended amount of time above 60c. As I understand it, the stuttering I was seeing would have been more related to CPU issues than GPU.

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

All it would do is make the fans run faster at certain temperatures, which should keep your GPU cooler but make your system run a bit louder. If your GPU doesn't cool down, well, then you might have a set up that might have issues. It's also completely reversible and doesn't cost anything to try.

You're right, and that's very good advice, but I didn't take it. :D

After doing a bunch of reading I decided I did want to improve my cooling setup in the RVZ01B beyond stock, so I just ordered a Noctua NH-L12. I'll take off the top fan, put it in the open case fan slot in the GPU compartment, and run things that way. A few other folks with this case have done that.

It'll be a PITA to take practically everything out of the case to install the backplate on the mobo, but hopefully I can improve on my poo poo cable management job while I'm in there (this was my first build in 10+ years, and this isn't exactly an easy case to work in).

twxabfn fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Trip report on my upgrade project (putting a Noctua NH-L12 in an RVZ01B):

First of all, I'm typing this post on the PC in question, so I didn't break it! Hooray!

I did essentially have to take everything out except for the PSU, HDD, and top case fan. (Man, that 24 pin connector is hard to take out.) Took off the top fan from the CPU cooler and installed it with the "bend" of the heat pipes facing the side of the case. Put the extra NF-12 fan in the empty slot on the GPU compartment (closer to the rear of the case) and tried putting the GPU back, but it wasn't going in and I thought the little holder bracket might have been bumping up against the top of the new fan. So I swapped the positions of those two fans and tried again and was able to get the GPU in this time, although I think I just might have been wussing out on trying to push through the clip on the PCI-E slot. Used a few more zip ties trying to keep cables out of the way this time, I think I did a little better. They're still all crammed into the middle of the case, although in this case there's really nowhere else to put them.

Back in horizontal position on my TV stand, I gave Talos Principle a shot again and whoa. Ambient temp ~25c, essentially the same as before, the CPU never got above 50c and the GPU was holding steady around 75c. Pretty good compared to 60+/80+. But then, I actually took VulgarAndStupid's advice and turned on the default user-defined fan curve in Afterburner...and the GPU was solid in the 60s (and only even went beyond 65c when I spent five minutes straight staring at a bush that made the GPU run at 90% for some reason).

But the CPU still never went above 50c! Looks to have been a worthwhile project.