Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sex idiot
Apr 25, 2016

Jerry Cotton posted:

Bibliophile.

I don't see what Aatrek has to do with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

People who play video games and are also insufferable are gamers. It's like wet shaving: millions (if not billions) of people wet shave but only a select few shits define themselves through it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sex idiot posted:

I don't see what Aatrek has to do with this

I bet he plays DOTA.

sex idiot
Apr 25, 2016

Jerry Cotton posted:

People who play video games and are also insufferable are gamers. It's like wet shaving: millions (if not billions) of people wet shave but only a select few shits define themselves through it.

lol do people really smugly identify through shaving in the most common way?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sex idiot posted:

lol do people really smugly identify through shaving in the most common way?

There's a loving SHAVE CLUB FINLAND shop down the street from my home and every time I walk past it I sigh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How on earth else do you shave? You can't shave properly any other way.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I forgot did anyone post the gamer YouTube video?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's a made up thing like race or gender.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

I shave in the shower with a disposable plastic razor is that wet shaving?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Are you wet when you do it? Electronic beard machines have created a world where someone might feel smug about not using one.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

I shave in the shower with a disposable plastic razor is that wet shaving?

Not if you don't tweet about it or something.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I would think more people would be anal about using straight razors exclusively than poo poo about wet shaving

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
"Gamer" seems to see frequent use as a dogwhistle that lets people spurn and ridicule weird, ugly people with poor social skills or even just nerds in general and still rationalize to themselves that they are the kind of person that is above that kind of thing.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Eh, gently caress it. This was a dumb post. Please retract your reply, esports Chaebol.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 29, 2016

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

That argument holds very little water, since "Gamers" will happily self identify as such, and have made it very clear they want to retain the label despite changing times.

Well now to cart out a former reddit favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYe8QzmM798

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Eh gently caress it. Nevermind. Ignore me.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 29, 2016

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Losers who identify with space marines and are uncomfortable around real people. Usually teenagers or sexless adults.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wulfolme posted:

"Gamer" seems to see frequent use as a dogwhistle that lets people spurn and ridicule weird, ugly people with poor social skills or even just nerds in general and still rationalize to themselves that they are the kind of person that is above that kind of thing.

Congratulations, you've cracked the code

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
The term has changed ... It used to be a descriptive term to denote people who liked games but is evolving into a proscriptive term with a list of traits you must display to qualify.

Different factions disagree as to what goes on the list and call people with different lists posers.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
A fuckin loser who defines themselves by the media they consume namaste bitches

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

"gamer" is identity politics for socially brokenbrained manbabies

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Gamer is kind of a very selectively exclusionary term. For some reason, popular stuff like call of duty or madden don't count and neither does stuff like candy crush to be considered a "real gamer" for some odd reason.

Also the documentary "GTFO" is a pretty good documentary about how exclusionary this "gamer" club can be to women.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

McAlister posted:

The term has changed ... It used to be a descriptive term to denote people who liked games but is evolving into a proscriptive term with a list of traits you must display to qualify.

Different factions disagree as to what goes on the list and call people with different lists posers.

duck monster posted:

"gamer" is identity politics for socially brokenbrained manbabies

Arguably casual gamers have have existed for as long as games have, but have not been the focus of those making games (typically). The trouble is that when we consider other sorts of categories of things people do, we often have a profession term for the difference (e.g. athlete vs someone who plays basketball). Video gaming, however, developed over the last bit a hostility towards those who play them infrequently (filthy casual). So we lacked a differentiation term, and took to describing all who played video games as gamers. I compare the identity aspect to how someone describes another as bandwagoning: they are being critical of the legitimacy and ease to which someone adopts a label or enters a social group without the perceived effort, knowledge or timeframe necessary for the label to fit (a fan of a sports team or TV show, a political activist, etc).

If you want to use it as an identity term, you have to distinguish what about it makes it unique from all the other poo poo people do. If you want to use it descriptively, you have to have language to add discrimination within the group, as the term can be used near ubiquitously at this point.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Literally The Worst posted:

A fuckin loser who defines themselves by the media they consume namaste bitches
obv ur too much of a free spirit to be tied down by labels but a lot of people define at least some of their identity by the media they consume like the books and music and films they enjoy and if you dont its you who's the weirdo, sorry :(

gently caress in book worms and film nerds always talking about things they like. rear end holes

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

XMNN posted:

gently caress in book worms and film nerds always talking about things they like. rear end holes

The difference is that bibliophiles and cinema junkies consume something socially perceived as "art", with a long history of being "art", and are usually capable of formulating interesting critiques and responses.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
"gamer" is actually bait luring out goons to start dropping the sikkest burns about people who play video games

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
What do you guys gain from all this hate towards people that just enjoy their popular hobby?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Wulfolme posted:

What do you guys gain from all this hate towards people that just enjoy their popular hobby?

The warm feeling of satisfaction from seeing posts like this get made.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Video games are for children.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A Gamer is someone who plays video games and/or is very knowledgeable in said field of pop culture/lore - regardless of gender or age above 15. Those 14 and younger are just children who should be stuck in the elementary games section. Women tend to get flack for video games sometimes because society at large thinks it's not traditionally gender-oriented towards them and other traditional labor-division inadequacies. Older people think gamers are lazy moochers. Misconceptions and massive flame wars follow.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wulfolme posted:

Someone who has a Zelda themed wedding is not just enjoying their hobby.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Only Japanese games count as art

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

lynch_69 posted:

Video games are for children.

so are edy's fruit popsicles but they're fuckin delicious

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

A gamer is anyone that plays games, but if we're differentiating between casuals and true gamers than I would say that you're a true gamer if it's your main source of entertainment.

I feel like most people have a preferred source of entertainment so it makes sense that even if you rarely ever play games because of other responsibilities, but when you do have a choice you choose games then you're a gamer.

Knowledge is a stupid metric because someone that only plays a single game over and over and over would have poo poo knowledge of games in general.

Time invested is a stupid metric because some people don't have a lot of time to invest in entertainment.

Preference is the only reasonable metric and since it's not actually measurable then basically if you give a poo poo about whether or not you're a true gamer then you're probably a true gamer.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Wulfolme posted:

Hey, I play video games every day, and probably border on obsessive regarding my internet dinosaurs.

But if making dorito bearded anger-heads go crazy is something I can achieve by feigning condemnation, well I'm happy to wait for the ravens to caw thrice

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
You're a gamer if playing games is a substantial, core hobby for you. If your exposure to the hobby is limited to a sports game once a year or a phone game on the bus, you likely don't qualify (that is, if we accept that words have meaning, which one side of the debate shitshow doesn't appear to).

I have a plant in the window but I'm not about to call myself a botanist, or a gardener. I read a book now and again but I'm not a bookworm. I go to the movies like 6-10 times a year, but I'm no film buff. And I've played dodgeball a few times, but I'm not an athlete.

Few people would take issue with this kind of distinction between enthusiasts and dabblers, except the term has become a football for two opposing teams of broken people on the Internet.

One side largely consists of people who feel marginalized by society to begin with, so the term has been used to in turn attack (I stop well short of saying you can "marginalize" a consumer hobby) "soft targets" they appear to view as even lower than themselves on society's totem pole. Hence why most "conversation" on the issue among these types invariably turns to Gawker level snark about grooming habits, headwear choices, and virginity.

On the other side, you have a jet-engine loud minority who believe a Warhammer 40k style military blood crusade wouldn't be an unreasonable response to some terrible article on boob plate a women's studies major wrote for her blog read by 10 people.

In short, cut the underwater master Internet cables, burn the Earth, and salt the ground to be sure.

Edit: The casual vs. hardcore bit is another thing where two enormously different product classes competing for very different markets (with some overlap) became politicized for a whole host of reasons. Tumblr types want their web browser CYOAs about gender identity and mental illness to be held up as equal to massive, critically acclaimed masterworks that take years for 100 plus talented people to produce. The industry wants money, as industry does, so the ESA lumps 99 cent phone games and $60 open world poo poo together in the same data set in hopes of boosting the mainstream appeal of the hobby. The Jet Engine group sees both these things and voices their displeasure, which is fine and maybe even understandable, except they express it in a note attached to a brick, thrown through a window, and signed gently caress YOU I KILL YOU BITCH.

bloodysabbath fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 8, 2016

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

computer parts posted:

Someone who has a Zelda themed wedding is not just enjoying their hobby.

Okay, I'll bite: If both people go for this, how is this any more offensive than the dumb, expensive parties that pass for a "normal" wedding?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bloodysabbath posted:

Okay, I'll bite: If both people go for this, how is this any more offensive than the dumb, expensive parties that pass for a "normal" wedding?

I never said anything about it being offensive. What I said is that it's not "just" a hobby.

Similarly, if you're so into woodworking that you have a lumberjack themed wedding, it's not "just" a hobby either.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bloodysabbath posted:

You're a gamer if playing games is a substantial, core hobby for you. If your exposure to the hobby is limited to a sports game once a year or a phone game on the bus, you likely don't qualify (that is, if we accept that words have meaning, which one side of the debate shitshow doesn't appear to).

I have a plant in the window but I'm not about to call myself a botanist, or a gardener. I read a book now and again but I'm not a bookworm. I go to the movies like 6-10 times a year, but I'm no film buff. And I've played dodgeball a few times, but I'm not an athlete.

Few people would take issue with this kind of distinction between enthusiasts and dabblers, except the term has become a football for two opposing teams of broken people on the Internet.

One side largely consists of people who feel marginalized by society to begin with, so the term has been used to in turn attack (I stop well short of saying you can "marginalize" a consumer hobby) "soft targets" they appear to view as even lower than themselves on society's totem pole. Hence why most "conversation" on the issue among these types invariably turns to Gawker level snark about grooming habits, headwear choices, and virginity.

On the other side, you have a jet-engine loud minority who believe a Warhammer 40k style military blood crusade wouldn't be an unreasonable response to some terrible article on boob plate a women's studies major wrote for her blog read by 10 people.

In short, cut the underwater master Internet cables, burn the Earth, and salt the ground to be sure.

Edit: The casual vs. hardcore bit is another thing where two enormously different product classes competing for very different markets (with some overlap) became politicized for a whole host of reasons. Tumblr types want their web browser CYOAs about gender identity and mental illness to be held up as equal to massive, critically acclaimed masterworks that take years for 100 plus talented people to produce. The industry wants money, as industry does, so the ESA lumps 99 cent phone games and $60 open world poo poo together in the same data set in hopes of boosting the mainstream appeal of the hobby. The Jet Engine group sees both these things and voices their displeasure, which is fine and maybe even understandable, except they express it in a note attached to a brick, thrown through a window, and signed gently caress YOU I KILL YOU BITCH.

well your not wrong. I couldnt have said it better myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Oh my god. White adolescents are not marginalized by society because they are unpopular.

• Locked thread