Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

McAlister posted:

The term has changed ... It used to be a descriptive term to denote people who liked games but is evolving into a proscriptive term with a list of traits you must display to qualify.

Different factions disagree as to what goes on the list and call people with different lists posers.

duck monster posted:

"gamer" is identity politics for socially brokenbrained manbabies

Arguably casual gamers have have existed for as long as games have, but have not been the focus of those making games (typically). The trouble is that when we consider other sorts of categories of things people do, we often have a profession term for the difference (e.g. athlete vs someone who plays basketball). Video gaming, however, developed over the last bit a hostility towards those who play them infrequently (filthy casual). So we lacked a differentiation term, and took to describing all who played video games as gamers. I compare the identity aspect to how someone describes another as bandwagoning: they are being critical of the legitimacy and ease to which someone adopts a label or enters a social group without the perceived effort, knowledge or timeframe necessary for the label to fit (a fan of a sports team or TV show, a political activist, etc).

If you want to use it as an identity term, you have to distinguish what about it makes it unique from all the other poo poo people do. If you want to use it descriptively, you have to have language to add discrimination within the group, as the term can be used near ubiquitously at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

JVNO posted:

How the gently caress can you even cal yourself a 'gamer' like it's still a loving thing in 2016? Everyone games. My drat parents play cell phone games for crying out loud. It's so ubiquitous in culture that identifying specifically as a gamer is about as silly as identifying as a 'movie watcher'.

Surely we can (indeed, we do) differentiate between "person who sometimes plays games/watches movies" and "person for which playing games/watching movies represents a major hobby or use of their time". If the arguement you're making here is "I don't think the word gamer is used in a manner to describe the latter" then other people's comments here indicate that is not true. I agree that we ought to better differentiate between the two, but right now a weird non-battle seems to be occurring over whether the word gamer ought to apply to anyone who plays or those that play a lot.

• Locked thread