Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Gamers are people who self-identify as gamers. Those who self identify typically have characteristics X, Y, and Z. Some of those are not positive characteristics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wulfolme posted:

What do you guys gain from all this hate towards people that just enjoy their popular hobby?

Someone who has a Zelda themed wedding is not just enjoying their hobby.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bloodysabbath posted:

Okay, I'll bite: If both people go for this, how is this any more offensive than the dumb, expensive parties that pass for a "normal" wedding?

I never said anything about it being offensive. What I said is that it's not "just" a hobby.

Similarly, if you're so into woodworking that you have a lumberjack themed wedding, it's not "just" a hobby either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Powercrazy posted:

Why should anyone, self-identified gamer or not, give a poo poo about the "community"?

I play video games, I'm sure some racist or sexist person plays the same video games I do. So what?

People generally don't like being associated with Bad People.

Like look at what happened with "Bernbros".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bloodysabbath posted:

Not if what you want from game journalism is reliable, down the middle of the plate buying advice, because these things are expensive products first and foremost at the end of the day.

After the whole Kayne & Lynch saga it's pretty hard to argue game journalists are "reliable" in any sense.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dapper_Swindler posted:

http://www.thejimquisition.com/watch-dogs-2-and-the-steam-users-who-hate-black-people/

holy poo poo, people are stupid assholes. I think their echo chamber went full /pol/.

"Dindu" sounds like a weird 19th Century slur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bloodysabbath posted:

I know you have a weird hard on towards attacking and stereotyping gamers for some reason, but this is very false. Gamers were loving pissed when Jeff got fired and overwhelmingly supported his new independent venture. It eventually got big enough that the new parent company of the site that fired him made amends and bought his new site.

They bought the site because it was popular, not to "make amends" about firing him several years prior (and it was popular because it did something completely different to what Gamespot had been doing up until then).

The point really is that in the not so distant past a guy was fired because he gave a video game a low review. That's not a sign of an industry that has "reliable, down the middle of the plate buying advice".

• Locked thread