Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eSports Chaebol posted:

There have been times and places where "book readers" were shunned or much worse. I think a lot of the argument about who is a gamer stems from the fact that "gamers" used to be shunned to a certain extent, and many embraced this ostracism. But now that gaming is as mainstream as books or movies, that identity is gone.

Imagine if for some reason a huge number of cycling enthusiasts moved to the Netherlands and were dismayed that their identity wasn't a thing any more, and started a movement about how they're the real cyclists.

I think thats pretty much it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

There's a whole kind of weird and lame "gamer culture" thing which is hilariously and transparently commercial, and also full of amazingly toxic chauvinism.

Basically you don't want to call yourself a gamer because people might think you spend your time buying anime bodypillows and writing 20k words about how feminists are worse than hitler.

pretty much. I guess i would be a "gamer" since its a major hobby of mine and i care about parts of it. but its not my sole "identity" or whatever. and your and idiot if you do make it your sole focus. I do think their is line between "casual" and "hardcore" but it doesnt matter or mean anything, and i dont get why people care.

I also think people trying to push gaming as some magical pretentious art form and get mad when all games arnt puzzle games or psudo intellectual crap like sunset. and that violent games like doom shouldn't exist because "the violence is troubling and problematic" or that a game doesn't 100% agree with their politics is "pernicious and right wing" are loving pretentious clowns .

But at the same time sending death threats to someone over calmly pointing out issues with some games that super dumb and creepy toward women is also stupid and lovely. As i said in other threads. My GF's ex was one of these people. a living internet nerd stereotype. apparently he spent all day ranting about sarkiasiaan and how women were all evil whores. he was also brony and abusive and almost 40. so yeah, your statement isnt wrong in some cases.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wales Grey posted:

Anyone who thinks Doom can't be art is a mental midget and a philistine with no appreciation for aesthetics, design esoterie, performance, or sport.

I think it can be art. just because something has spectacle or is all spectacle doesnt mean it cant be art. DOOM can be art, wolfenstien can be art, bioshock can be art. it's what the john machintosh of the world should learn before they bitch about it watching e3 http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/06/15/doom-gameplay-trailer-violence_n_7585538.html talking about lovely treatment/image/representation of woman/minorities is one thing and for the most part admirable , but if you start whining and "critiquing" about violence and gore and conflict in video games, get hosed.

OwlFancier posted:

I feel similarly. I play a lot of games but, I don't build my identity around it because that seems weird. I just like them and think they're fun. Also even if I did want to define my identity through it I really wouldn't want to be lumped in with a lot of the other people who do.

yeah. I would identify myself as me. an individual. I am more a politics/history person then "gamer".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wales Grey posted:

Exactly! But I'm not sure if there's ever been a critique of "explicit violence and gore in video games" that's been done for its own sake. "Does pretend violence in stories music theatre radio television video games have a negative impact on our culture?" is a good question to ask, I think, but I'm not really sure if there's a good way to evaluate something so broadly phrased.

And that question is less interesting to me than its cousin, "What role does the violence of Doom 4 serve in establishing the narrative, atmosphere, design, gameplay, and spectacle of that game?".

E: I'd also like to say that as far as I know, games explicitly about and dedicated to explicit, bloody violence and gore tend to be either tongue-in-cheek (Carmageddon), horror stories (Manhunt), or critcal failures by all measures (Hatred). There's a fine line between satirical entertainment, and edgelordey trash in every medium. Video games are no different.

I think a few try, but it always comes off as weird moralizing, honestly the whole DOOM "scandal" kinda turned me off of femfreq in general. I like the general goal they have, but they come off as too sex negative and they tend to cheery pick sometimes, and i think their reviews are kinda lovely. but i dont think they are some great evil or some dumb poo poo. i am just glad they tossed out john macintosh, that guy is a whiny prick and represents everything i hate on the left.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/329432068780081153

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/540596478717095937

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/610298878089244672

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't played the new doom but from what I've seen it's... pretty heavily satire. Like, it looks like satire of classic videogames almost while at the same time sort of being one. You're a nameless dude who appears and murders demons in hilariously ridiculous ways and the game actually has some kind of backstory to justify that, but it's so patently after-the-fact that I don't see how else to take it.

its basicaly old doom remade in 2016 with the graphics and tigntness of today. it has a story thats actualy sorta interesting but its in the backround and isnt consequential, its the best single player shooter i have played in years. honestly. get it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nosfereefer posted:

To actually add something, the reaction against the new DOOM specifically stems from missing the wider context of that particular franchise. As people have said, id themselves released that absurd Doom Comic 20 years ago, which makes fun of the inherent stupidity of their games. In a way, ridiculously enough, I guess DOOM is closer to what I would define as art precisely because it successfully makes a statement about its own empty ultra violence while still remaining a very competent title within the genre. It's also why Doom 3, or that godawful Doom movie, was forgettable.

I think its more, most of the critics have never ever played that stuff. most of them went back to gaming to preach various causes and make it "grow up and become repectible art" not because they love the hobby. most of them hadnt played it since they were kids, then games like gone home and other indie games brought them back. now they are annoyed that most games arnt like gone home or its lovely clones, everyones gone to rapture and sunset . when they saw a bunch of fanboys cheering the return of the doom slayer. they showed the contempt they always held. they mostly play puzzle stuff or walking sims because they view that as art.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We all hang out in Book Barn

Please come visit

i second this. its great place, please visit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CasualTR posted:

A person who considers their video game habit a hobby.

pretty much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

bloodysabbath posted:

You're a gamer if playing games is a substantial, core hobby for you. If your exposure to the hobby is limited to a sports game once a year or a phone game on the bus, you likely don't qualify (that is, if we accept that words have meaning, which one side of the debate shitshow doesn't appear to).

I have a plant in the window but I'm not about to call myself a botanist, or a gardener. I read a book now and again but I'm not a bookworm. I go to the movies like 6-10 times a year, but I'm no film buff. And I've played dodgeball a few times, but I'm not an athlete.

Few people would take issue with this kind of distinction between enthusiasts and dabblers, except the term has become a football for two opposing teams of broken people on the Internet.

One side largely consists of people who feel marginalized by society to begin with, so the term has been used to in turn attack (I stop well short of saying you can "marginalize" a consumer hobby) "soft targets" they appear to view as even lower than themselves on society's totem pole. Hence why most "conversation" on the issue among these types invariably turns to Gawker level snark about grooming habits, headwear choices, and virginity.

On the other side, you have a jet-engine loud minority who believe a Warhammer 40k style military blood crusade wouldn't be an unreasonable response to some terrible article on boob plate a women's studies major wrote for her blog read by 10 people.

In short, cut the underwater master Internet cables, burn the Earth, and salt the ground to be sure.

Edit: The casual vs. hardcore bit is another thing where two enormously different product classes competing for very different markets (with some overlap) became politicized for a whole host of reasons. Tumblr types want their web browser CYOAs about gender identity and mental illness to be held up as equal to massive, critically acclaimed masterworks that take years for 100 plus talented people to produce. The industry wants money, as industry does, so the ESA lumps 99 cent phone games and $60 open world poo poo together in the same data set in hopes of boosting the mainstream appeal of the hobby. The Jet Engine group sees both these things and voices their displeasure, which is fine and maybe even understandable, except they express it in a note attached to a brick, thrown through a window, and signed gently caress YOU I KILL YOU BITCH.

well your not wrong. I couldnt have said it better myself.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.thejimquisition.com/watch-dogs-2-and-the-steam-users-who-hate-black-people/

holy poo poo, people are stupid assholes. I think their echo chamber went full /pol/.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lynch_69 posted:

See, and just by shining a light on poo poo like this gets the author labelled as a liberal activist clickbait yellow journalist. It's like you're not even allowed to report on the objective reality of what's going in gaming communities without being called "the enemy".

It's very much a case gamers saying: "Write about video games strictly as consumer items like refrigerators or LED light bulbs and let's collectively pretend it's 1992 where this is a niche hobby that exists in its own plane of reality completely separate from politics or culture."

pretty much. sure their are a bunch of critics and sites i dont like personaly, because i find them too pretentious or cherrypicking/etc but i dont think deep analysis is bad thing. Personaly i am excited for mafia 3 and watchdogs 2. partly because of the minority protags.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

rkajdi posted:

You don't need to, but then you don't get to complain when people criticize you for standing next to them. The people you associate with reflect on you. Note that I play games a good bit (though I doubt I qualify as a gamer since I haven't bothered with AAA games in two generations) and I understand I need to help keep my side of the street clean. It also helps me too, since sunshine has helped get some of the more disgusting parts of Japanese games (sexualization of children, weird levels of misogyny and racism) out of the American releases. Nothing annoyed me more than when I bought Star Ocean: The Last Hope looking for an actionish RPG like the rest of the series, and instead got all the hallmarks of some pedo dating sim (Thousand year olds stuck in children's bodies, crazy levels of fanservice, ect) I get that Japanese culture is different, but I honestly don't care and would prefer to never have to ask around if games had that kind of garbage in them again. As a positive example, Bravely Second making less skimpy outfits for the underage girls in the game while also dumping the Native American minstrel show costumes showed that someone at NoA was actually paying attention for once.

I think most of the weird overtly sexual poo poo is mostly confined to japanes games. most western games dont go for weird sexual poo poo/overt titalation anymore. yeah some put shocking sexual stuff in or have nudity/sex scenes for better or worse. like the witcher series, but those have grown too. yeah their is tits and rear end, but most of the female characters are actual developed characters. hell wolfenstien new order probaly has one of the more mature sex scenes out there. so at least the west is getting better. then again. i dont play many japanese games, apart from yakuza and mgs. yeah mgs has issues, but you are never going to change kojima and his games are pretty left leaning politically already, so i can forgive some lovely character design/outfits.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 10, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

true but then he made one of the best gaming sites ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Did you call yourself a gamer before the recent splits and controversies? I'm of a similar mind as you, but ten years ago I'd have comfortably called myself a gamer, and even though I've stopped like you have, I've never felt comfortable surrendering that term to those people, and I'm sure as poo poo not going to do something like start calling myself a ludophile or whatever term people might come up with in future. It bothers me that just as gaming has started to move into the mainstream, the term we used to us to describe ourselves as hobbyists has been wrenched backward into a niche of social malcontents. When I was younger I looked forward to the day when describing myself as a "gamer" would have connotations no different than describing myself as a "film buff". But that day looks as distant as ever, even as games have become mainstream.

I still call myself one sorta, but as i said earlier, its not everything or nothing part of me, its major hobby, and i mostly play mainstream stuff with the occasional divergent.

• Locked thread