Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
A gamer is someone who self-identifies as one. It's a way to claim you belong to a group. Christian, gamer, furry, it's all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Are you wet when you do it? Electronic beard machines have created a world where someone might feel smug about not using one.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Indeed, no one is special...

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I think that the "are games art" and what is a "gamer" arguments are almost completely separate.

One is about subculture and online communities, the other about "what is art", a question no one has concisely and convincingly answered.

If you wanna argue about something, I'll say SMAC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Alpha_Centauri is art. Go hog wild.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The gamers involved in gamergate or such do not care about what is art, they are afraid of their identity and community of like minded people going away.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ok, the issue is still a perceived attack on their identity, not the artistic merits of games. The attack could be come from any angle, the point is, it is perceived to be an attack.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

You make some good points. I'd still say, the questions are separate, but games being critiqued as art is a factor in the gamer question. You won. gz

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Panzeh posted:

I would say SMAC is very dated and hackneyed in terms of its writing- just a bunch of ideological caricatures duking it out with civ2 mechanics but AMPED UP.

I would say Deidre, for example, is straight out of the 90s. Also its fans are insufferable retards who want strategy games to be dumb narrative poo poo instead of mechanically strong games like civ4.

SMAC has a decent story that fits into the Civ2 mechanics. It explores stuff you find in novels while being a game at the same time. The faction leaders are stereotypes because they serve as shorthand for the story. Even so, they are better characterized than the vast majority of game characters. Whether it's fans are retards or Civ4 mechanically better has nothing to do with the art question.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Black metal is weird. When your music is trying to be shocking and about mass murder and satan raping kids etc., you can throw in Hitler to be even more shocking and evil. Is that actually supporting right wing ideologies? Do nazis want to be lumped in with torture fetishists and death cults? I dunno, maybe Sword and Sceptre does.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Nah dude, there's actual nazis in the black metal scene. Whether it's avowed racist and convicted murderer Varg Vikernes of Burzum fame, the white supremacists in Inquisition, or the nazi black metal scene in Oregon they totally exist.

There are some nazis, sure. Is every black metal band with seemingly nazi lyrics actually a nazi band? Probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I've stopped following current events w/r/t black metal years ago, so if it's become genuinely political in the way you are describing, the defense doesn't really work anymore.

• Locked thread