Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
loving :lol: at the flatbed ute holding you up in that one video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
I guess it's interesting in a way that 1:16, while being held up by another car, is a seriously fast laptime (tuned R35 GTRs and M3 GT3 race cars run a 1:13 or so), but that's on half-worn road tires with no aero and bad lines - I wonder if it could do a sub-1:10 with more practice.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
A side effect of the trackday has turned up - a big rear end stone chip that was hiding underneath all the regular track filth on the driver' side door. No damage to the door itself (CF doesn't dent, as it turns out).

However I have corollary observations:

- non-homo supercars should go to the track as often as possible and thus they dont give a gently caress about stone chips

So I'm leaving it as-is for the time being and I might dab some coverup paint over it later but bugger taking it in for panel correction when it's going on the track again in a month's time.

Also can you believe people pay real money for fake toasted exhaust tips when they can just make real ones by driving like a mad oval office and burning the poo poo out of their exhaust tips with with massive loving flames (according to the track marshal) on every downshift overrun?

Closer shot of the exhausts. The two center exhausts run with mufflers and (I think) secondary cats while the outside exhausts only have a resonator. I've brightened the exhaust throat so you can see the flappers, which I've permanently bypassed so they don't close at low RPM anymore - all they do now is wobble a bit which apparently gives the crackling noise that drat near every car from the RS3 to the FType has nowdays.

Also, Type R is back from getting its clutch replaced. Turns out it was the original OEM clutch, which means that a car that's been tracked most of its life got almost 150k kilometres on one clutch - standard Honda engineering, basically.

Spades fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 13, 2016

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
First mod for the Z06 is in place - I'll upload some photos later, but basically at the last track day I twice almost blew the engine by shifting into the wrong column due to the pretty vague definition of the stock shifter.

As such, I went out and ordered a MGW short shifter which comes with an extremely solid feeling linkage. It is also VERY loud. This is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDadP4k-2l4

CHOK CHOK CHOK CHOK CHOK CHOK CHOK CHOK CHOK CHOK CHOK CHOK CHOK CHOK CHOK CHOK

shaw brothers 1960 (tm) and (c)

On a side note, during the installation process almost every single hardware issue imaginable struck and the three hour installation exploded into a 20 hour action fest of swearing and thrown spanners and split shift boots and RTV just being pumped onto everything, which is par for the course with me really.

I also recently got a basic dyno run done, which reveals that my Z06 is in fact a ringer and apparently making 680 crank horsepower according to the tech:

this is ok

i am ok with this.

Spades fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 3, 2016

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Jeesh

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yikes, das a whooooole buttload of power

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I love that torque curve :allears:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
It's still cool/cold there, right? I'm curious to see if you have issues when it gets warm out.

The tracks here in SoCal, the new Z06s seem to get maybe 3-5 laps from a good driver before they're pitting to cool off.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

It's New Zealand. It's a heatwave when it hits 30 deg C for a week and old biddies die when it hits 34...

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The dyno sheet says 580HP wheel, 100HP drivetrain loss?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wrar posted:

The dyno sheet says 580HP wheel, 100HP drivetrain loss?

15% driveline loss rule, usually will be close to the mark. Unless it's a Disney dyno it's a legit estimate.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

It's still cool/cold there, right? I'm curious to see if you have issues when it gets warm out.

The tracks here in SoCal, the new Z06s seem to get maybe 3-5 laps from a good driver before they're pitting to cool off.

I haven't got the videos uploaded, but after driving the car hard for 30 minutes I managed to overheat it. I gave it five minutes to cool down and it was good for another 15 or so laps - it didn't overheat for the rest of the day. Ambient temp was about 20 degrees out which isn't as high as California though.

Having done the research before buying the car I knew about the potential already and also know that the fix is way simpler than you'd think - pretty much, the car has a V6 Camaro radiator in it for some drat reason and you can replace that with a big-rear end three row DeWitts block to remove the problem entirely.

Really, the overheating thing is way overblown in an odd way - you don't hear the same complaints about say, the Cayman and GTR's auto transmission overheating issues, yet those are just as big of an issue. I think that due to the Corvette's dad-car / easy hateable status it's something that people obsess over - kind of like the mustang crashes deal.

Spades fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 4, 2016

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Spades posted:

I haven't got the videos uploaded, but after driving the car hard for 30 minutes I managed to overheat it. I gave it five minutes to cool down and it was good for another 15 or so laps - it didn't overheat for the rest of the day. Ambient temp was about 20 degrees out which isn't as high as California though.

Having done the research before buying the car I knew about the potential already and also know that the fix is way simpler than you'd think - pretty much, the car has a V6 Camaro radiator in it for some drat reason and you can replace that with a big-rear end three row DeWitts block to remove the problem entirely.

Really, the overheating thing is way overblown in an odd way - you don't hear the same complaints about say, the Cayman and GTR's auto transmission overheating issues, yet those are just as big of an issue. I think that due to the Corvette's dad-car / easy hateable status it's something that people obsess over - kind of like the mustang crashes deal.

Oh, it's not hating for me. I just live in an area with a lot of them, and they're pretty common to see out there so I've seen it happen a lot.

It's also a bigger deal cause the Z06 was a great track car that they added a huge issue to in the search for more power.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

Oh, it's not hating for me. I just live in an area with a lot of them, and they're pretty common to see out there so I've seen it happen a lot.

It's also a bigger deal cause the Z06 was a great track car that they added a huge issue to in the search for more power.

Might have mis-stated - more that there's a cachet of people who'll go out of their way to try to find issue with Corvettes in general.

I gave some thought to the hatedom and stigma that comes with the car after I decided to buy one and found it interesting -

I think some if it is well placed around the stereotypes of owners (and most of them being fat, bald and 67), but I think that the actual stigma runs a bit deeper against what the car itself stands for.

In a some ways it's an illusion-ruining car for young adult, middle class aspirational living - it's an almost entirely classless 'blue collar' car which is, by and large, faster on both the road and track than anything 'exotic' which costs less than a million dollars, whilst being powered by an 'old fashioned' pushrod engine (which happens to have one of the highest power-to-weight and efficiency ratings of any production engine to date) and riding on 'ox cart' leaf spring suspension (which happens to be better than practically any suspension on the market).

As such, I could see it being a threatening multiplier of cognitive dissonance for anyone who's bought anything from a Focus ST through to a Ferrari 458. I think that it's common to try to think of traditional premium or technologically complicated cars in a particularly high-nosed manner, yet cars like the Corvette and Viper violently subvert the classic expectations. On top of this, a lot of car fans generally tend to be a immature and hold strong brand allegiances and a simplistic interest in what car is the "fastest" or "coolest" and so on.

On the flipside, I think that after owning a Corvette it's impossible not to be a bit iconoclastic towards traditional 'premium' marques - particularly considering that I bought my Z06 brand new for less than the price of an entry level non-S Cayman. On the other hand, it has enhanced my appreciation for the non-performance elements of cars like the Type R; raw performance is one thing, but how a car achieves it is interesting as well.

what im saying is that i dont know what to say really so i wrote a bunch of words

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It sounds you're on the cusp (if not already all-in) on the realization that it's rewarding to do more with less than it is to do less with more.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Phone posted:

It sounds you're on the cusp (if not already all-in) on the realization that it's rewarding to do more with less than it is to do less with more.

More of a middle-of-the-road appreciation for cars bought on by having one of the fastest ones you can buy and the realization that having 650+hp actually doesn't feel as scary or as fast as you'd think - but having driven 1000+hp drag cars beforehand, this wasn't a huge surprise.

Straight line acceleration at even <3sec to 60 is incredibly boring after you've experienced it once or twice - what interested me in the Z06 was the dynamics. But now having experienced dynamics better than any other car I've driven, the differences that other cars offer seem to be more pronounced than ever. For example - the Integra's brutally sharp suspension and front steering feedback makes the car more communicative about its grip than anything else. An S2000 I drove recently required extremely deft use of the gearbox to deliver any power at all to the road, and that S14 I posted earlier, even with an automatic gearbox, practically oversteers at walking speed due to its peculiar suspension geometry.

These nuances are not something that exists in the Z06, and while it is a fantastic allrounder, you simply can't have one car do everything. For a long time I was convinced I wanted a 991 Porsche Turbo for this end, but a car trying to do everything doesn't do anything particularly well.

As for the less with more - there's some truth that driving a slow car fast is enjoyable, but driving a fast car fast makes you feel like a norse berserking slavering lunatic but sadly priapism is not a medical condition that is covered by most health insurers.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Spades posted:

sadly priapism is not a medical condition that is covered by most health insurers.

I enjoy your posts. :) Glad you're enjoying the car the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Photo time:

Initial removal of the topmost parts of the console, exposing a bit of the trans tunnel and the electrics. Wiring loom isn't too much of a pain with connectors that don't need a screwdriver or a hammer to break them loose, while the clips that hold the trim on thankfully come out with damaging anything (though they have a habit of all letting go at once which is kind of pucker-inducing when it happens).

Close shot of the upper boot on the stock shifter handle. This is the first part to go as part of the swap since its being bound to the shifter handle literally leads to the stock shifter's slightly rubbery feeling. They tend to also self-destruct over time which makes shifting feel nicer after a while.

Annoyingly, the tutorial was written for pre-Z06 C7s which use ladder pins rather than punchpins to hold some of the electrics in place. While I'd later decide to just gently caress it and slice the punchpins' asses off with my leatherman, I wasn't keen to start stabbing away at a supercar's electronics with a serrated steakknife.

So I improvised by hanging it up with the drawstring out of a pair of pants because gently caress you that's why

Next I

Wait what's this

Looks like the transporting over the ocean might have sweated-in enough moisture to rust up the only component in the whole car which is apparently made from the brake discs off of my long lost first car which i thought I had safely abandoned in a salt mine after crashing it into a lemon factory gently caress

Did what I could to give it a quick bash with high grain sandpaper, painted on some rust converter and then painted on some black zinc - unfortunately getting at all of it would involved taking the whole dash apart and it's much easier just to treat what's there and then induce alcoholic amnesia so that you forget about the way someday your dashboard will probably just cave in on itself.

--

Removed the second rubber boot from the shifter and removed the shifter box from the transmission. What they don't tell you in the tutorial is that you're meant to put the transmission into neutral before you do this (I did not) and that the linkage rod horseshoe clip will fall into the torque tube surround tunnel and that when this happens you will want to kill everybody. So half way through installing then new shifter later, I had to take it apart because I'd been trying to set the deadzone to be in 4th.

Also, because of the way you've removed the thicker of the two shifter boots, MGW has you install a bunch of heat shields and sound deadening here. Forgot to take a photo since I was hilariously tired at the time and got started again on this in the morning, so have a stupid picture of a cat instead

I then assembled most of the new shifter. For reference, here's an indication of the differences in quality between the two:

On the left is the stock shifter box, and on the right the MGW model. Besides being made from prettier colors (vitally important in performance supercar components), it also doesn't look like it fell off a kalashnikov back during the Sarajevian civil war.

Compared to the stock shifter box, it has two double-row plastic bushings (instead of a single single-row metal bushing), nearly zero clearance between the linkage connecting rod and its bushing (stock had some play), and its transmission tunnel mounts are solid-bushing instead of rubber (giving you more feedback from the driveline).

Anyway, the only thing remaining was to insert the assembled shifter stick into the gaping transmission-hole. After minor amounts of panic and fitting, re-fitting, quintupple-re-fitting and spending half an hour to find the threadlocker so that the linkage horseshoe doesn't fall off, I got the thing installed properly, obsessive-compulsive style. Testing the new shifting feel at this point may have taken up a portion of the afternoon.

Anyway, before you put the interior back together, they have you hack to bitsmodify the other rubber shifter boot - this is the one that's underneath the one shown in the pictures above - so that the MGW shifter's bellows forms a sound seal around it. This stops the sound coming from the transmission carrying into the interior. While I don't mind this idea much, I am told on some authority that it's loud as gently caress if you don't have something there so I followed their guidelines, cut the boot's lower half off, and threaded it around the base of the MGW shifter.

And immediately this happened

gently caress

Basically, the shifter boot is a rubber membrane glued to a plastic frame, and this particular membrane probably hadn't been glued with hard enough epoxy from the factory. I tried aralditing it back together with the aid of an oven to set the glue, but the fit was simply too tight and it ripped free again.

At this point I adopted a stance of 'loving gently caress this in the oval office this has taken longer than doing an engine rebuild', and just pumped a load of instagasket RTV rubber across the split, levelled it off with a paint scraper and let it tack up. Thankfully, it would turn out later that this did the job perfectly and didn't let any sound into the cabin.

And finally my shifter is now like thiiiiiiiis

Really, while I've never been entirely sold on the concept of short shifters, the stock shifter's fundamental tolerances aren't really up to what I wanted (having come from a Type R, which are cars which generally have been agreed to having the best gearbox feel in any car ever made) and this one brings them into the same ballpark as the Integra.

I would probably prefer a slightly longer throw to the rod but the definition it gives to shifting is a lot more helpful than the stock shifter.

Spades fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 6, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That rusty bracket didn't even occur to me as a problem until I read the paragraph after it. I've never seen an OEM paint their dash structure or pedal boxes, hell, I've seen Subaru dash beams and Jeep pedal boxes with that much rust before. It never seems to go past the "light coat of dusty feeling brown rust" stage, which we rust eskimoes consider to be unimportant.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

That rusty bracket didn't even occur to me as a problem until I read the paragraph after it. I've never seen an OEM paint their dash structure or pedal boxes, hell, I've seen Subaru dash beams and Jeep pedal boxes with that much rust before. It never seems to go past the "light coat of dusty feeling brown rust" stage, which we rust eskimoes consider to be unimportant.

You mean they don't come from the factory like that?

I don't even see that as rust. That's just what metal looks like.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Since I have a set of semi slicks sitting around half worn, I've decided to free the space in my garage up via a track day next Wednesday.

Good news, forecast is set to 'ultra rain'.

probably going to die

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Just wanted to chime in and say you're awesome and also: that rust most likely won't go any further than that, I've seen plenty of cars, primarily the dash beam- I guess you'd call it, with rust that looks like that. To echo another poster, it probably won't go beyond that stage. Also, I think your commodore is leaking fluid into the tie rod boots.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Spades posted:

And finally my shifter is now like thiiiiiiiis

:rip: your shift forks, but that's a very precise sounding (and likely feeling) shifter.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

sharkytm posted:

:rip: your shift forks, but that's a very precise sounding (and likely feeling) shifter.

Yeah, I don't literally shift like I'm trying to rip the gear lever in half and turn the syncros into pulp, but for the sake of a video, nice little clicks just weren't gonna do it.

I also fed my forks and gently pet them afterwards assuring them more abuse was not coming

Spades fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 7, 2016

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

interwhat posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say you're awesome and also: that rust most likely won't go any further than that, I've seen plenty of cars, primarily the dash beam- I guess you'd call it, with rust that looks like that. To echo another poster, it probably won't go beyond that stage. Also, I think your commodore is leaking fluid into the tie rod boots.

Yeah, I suspect they'll be fine - just a long term project of an HQ Holden (apparently made from panels discarded from the Lancia factory for rusting too fast) has led me to treat even the smallest of rust like you'd treat the smallest of ball cancer.

also those are factory leaks and I wish them to be kept for classic value no lowballers I know what I got

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Small storytime:

I went for a little shakedown (no video, sadly) to see how the new shifter would feel when driven in anger a bit.

When I was getting on the grid, a Lamborghini Gallardo driver distinctly saw me and suddenly pulled back out of the grid and pitted out.

sweet

That reminds me - I haven't actually had a chance to go up against any other supercars besides an R35 GTR on the track yet which is a bit lame. The GTR driver was a bit timid and I passed him very quickly so hopefully next time will be more interesting.

Spades fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 8, 2016

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I've heard the gallardo is pretty disappointing, dude must have been burned before

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Weather update:

STAY

cloud stay

given half a chance this car will try to kill you bad enough in the dry. in 5th gear.

case in point, actually - with the semislicks back on and the weather hovering 12 degrees, I got a truffle shuffle on in 3rd at 1500rpm through a roundabout. Fun is not optional.

Spades fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 8, 2016

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Trip report - a freak lap got me into 1:10, but for the most part I had a decidedly more average range of 1:15 through to 1:18 - I think that tire wear had a lot to do with it as I started the day with half worn semi slicks and ended the day with half worn belts pretending to be tires.

The Z06 is very impressive but it's also far more competent than I am at driving - if my ability with the Integra is a 5/10, my ability with the Z06 scratches a 1/10 at best. I know that the car has the likely potential to completely flatten anything that isn't open wheel on the track (even though it did anyway, but to a larger degree)

I also started the day by attempting to kill my poor driving instructor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YaCRa6D6cg

soon america was in swing however

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Fq9o-OTfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yI3FQRx2SQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onJ1RWRRtrE

While it's cool to pass everyone and all, I'm still a lousy driver and will need to put, I imagine, about 100 hours more around the track before I approach getting a feel for the grip on the Z06. Just being faster than everyone else on the day doesn't mean you're fast, after all.

Spades fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 14, 2016

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Checked around for advice for the next track day - As it turns out there's hidden track settings activated by hitting the TCS button twice - these turn TCS protection off progressively rather than instantly.

I guess next time I will try running it in one of the 'sport' TCS modes that apparently makes more HP available and removes some of the acceleration hang out of hard corners. Seems kind of cool that you can disable only a few features without removing suicide prevention.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Got invited down to Taupo for a trackday in the Integra. Not the best result - kind of a shameful display on my behalf as I didn't really repeat the Hampton Downs display of murdering cars twice as powerful as my own.

However I did almost get me and my passenger killed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSgLae20CAk

Best lap - 1:56. I need to lose 10 seconds before I'd be competitive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsn67GiLqgM

Rain happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDrlLogzOls

Spades fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 23, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

What failed on the brakes? (I didn't listen with sound, if that matters)

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Larrymer posted:

What failed on the brakes? (I didn't listen with sound, if that matters)

Third gear is a bit bitchy on most K20A-mated gearboxes, so as I heeltoed into it it spat the stick back out after a moment - past 100kph or so the Integra doesn't brake at all unless you're in VTEC and have engine vacuum helping the brakes out.

This was combined with the way that the brakes were overheated at the time (was one of the later laps in that session) - basically just all the things that make brakes not work on the car happened at once.

On top of that, the brakes on a DC5 Type R aren't actually all that good in the first place - I'm not sure particularly why but despite having 4 pot front and 2 pot rear, the brakes keep overheating regardless of pads used. I suppose it shows that brake tech has come along pretty well given that the Z06's brakes (at racing speeds) seem to literally stop the car in half the distance.

Spades fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 23, 2016

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Shopping time has arrived as Honda's stock shocks have reached three times their recommended lifespan and now finally given up. I'm leaning towards getting standard OEM replacements, but Koni Yellows (which are highly recommended by other drivers) seem to be about half the price so I'm going to consider whether I want to gently caress with the well-sorted stock suspension.

While that's getting done I'll probably give a look at replacing the existing bushings which have started to crack.

Due to the various brake issues last session I'm also going to get some EBC Yellowstuff pads for the front.

Also the boot has water getting into it somehow so I've repainted the tire well to prevent rust while I try to figure out where it comes from.

Kind of annoying that while Honda stuff is engineered in insanely well, you still can't escape entropy and wear items on a car which has been driven hard for its whole lifetime will come up eventually.

(I really feel for the suckers who pick up R32 GTRs in the states about now and have to import all their disposables from Japan)

Spades fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 26, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

For what it's worth, Honda has always had issues with their taillight gaskets leaking once a car gets some years on it, and the first symptom is usually water chilling in the spare tire well. That, and clogged sunroof drains, are your most likely culprits, though you usually wind up with water on the floorboards when the sunroof drains clog.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

For what it's worth, Honda has always had issues with their taillight gaskets leaking once a car gets some years on it, and the first symptom is usually water chilling in the spare tire well. That, and clogged sunroof drains, are your most likely culprits, though you usually wind up with water on the floorboards when the sunroof drains clog.

Could be worth a look up - the left rear has condensation in it in the mornings now so it might be getting in through there. Weird though as it seems like it doesn't get in just with the hose on it - will have to experiment longer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Konis will have a bunch of rebound, which is usually fine for stock sprung cars usually.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Spades posted:

Could be worth a look up - the left rear has condensation in it in the mornings now so it might be getting in through there. Weird though as it seems like it doesn't get in just with the hose on it - will have to experiment longer.

The condensation could just be from the moisture already in the trunk. But the gaskets are pretty cheap - certainly cheaper than dealing with mold, new carpet, and rust. On my DA Integra it was basically removing the bulbs and removing the retaining nuts on the housings to get to the gaskets.

A DC should be new enough to find OEM gaskets for at the dealer.

Also, my DA didn't leak with a running hose either. It only collected water during rain that lasted a good portion of the day. It more than made up for it by collecting water on the passenger side floorboard anytime there was any moisture in the air (bonus points for the ECU being under the carpet in that exact spot!), but that was more an issue with the HVAC air intake and the lovely foam gaskets it used.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Spades posted:

Due to the various brake issues last session I'm also going to get some EBC Yellowstuff pads for the front.

I'd vote to get something else from another manufacturer. Hawk, Carbotech, etc. Also something with a heat range for racing instead of a compromise street/track pad. Should help out the overheating issues I'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Larrymer posted:

I'd vote to get something else from another manufacturer. Hawk, Carbotech, etc. Also something with a heat range for racing instead of a compromise street/track pad. Should help out the overheating issues I'd think.

Been looking at Hawk but they're actually a pain in the rear end to get for a JDM DC5 for some reason - I suppose that due to the way that the JDM DC5 seems to be one of the rarer Type Rs due to the way they released 'fake' DC5 Type Rs for other markets which came with smaller, non-Brembo brakes.

Have you found the race pads are usable on the street still? I don't mind some softness as I don't dadbrake on the road but if they barely work at all until they're heated it'd be a bit of a pain (Missing those carbon ceramics again).

ED: Gonna see if I can take those tail lights out this weekend and dump gap sealer all over the circumference to see if that does the trick. Seems like it's a better solution than getting new gaskets if the design doesn't last.

Spades fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 5, 2016

• Locked thread