Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Huh, I always figured Rug Doctor machines were a US-only thing. That waste tank is identical to the one on the last one I rented, except it said "RENT ME" instead of "HIRE ME".

My parents owned a carpet cleaning company when I was growing up, so I've used (and been trained/certified on) commercial and industrial carpet cleaning equipment. The Rug Doctor stuff isn't as good for (household) carpets (but not bad), but for upholstery and cars it's every bit as good as the poo poo the professionals use, assuming you use warm or hot water+chemical mix.

Spades posted:

Engine bays don't really need cleaning, but why not; superficial, non-steam clean later and it's cleaner than the outsides of most cars

I'm pretty OCD about keeping a clean engine bay, personally. Once or twice a year I'll bathe it in degreaser (followed by plain water).

My excuse is that keeping everything clean makes it a lot easier to spot oil leaks immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Spades posted:

Which brand of degreaser do you use?

Whatever they use at the self-service car wash. :cripes:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

For what it's worth, Honda has always had issues with their taillight gaskets leaking once a car gets some years on it, and the first symptom is usually water chilling in the spare tire well. That, and clogged sunroof drains, are your most likely culprits, though you usually wind up with water on the floorboards when the sunroof drains clog.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Spades posted:

Could be worth a look up - the left rear has condensation in it in the mornings now so it might be getting in through there. Weird though as it seems like it doesn't get in just with the hose on it - will have to experiment longer.

The condensation could just be from the moisture already in the trunk. But the gaskets are pretty cheap - certainly cheaper than dealing with mold, new carpet, and rust. On my DA Integra it was basically removing the bulbs and removing the retaining nuts on the housings to get to the gaskets.

A DC should be new enough to find OEM gaskets for at the dealer.

Also, my DA didn't leak with a running hose either. It only collected water during rain that lasted a good portion of the day. It more than made up for it by collecting water on the passenger side floorboard anytime there was any moisture in the air (bonus points for the ECU being under the carpet in that exact spot!), but that was more an issue with the HVAC air intake and the lovely foam gaskets it used.

• Locked thread