Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

No, only all eternally existing beings are God. If it is true that protons and electrons are eternal and never decay I guess I would include them as God, and therefore all matter as God. To the best of my knowledge, science doesn't know if electrons are eternal.

This seems like an extremely poor definition of God. If protons and electrons truly are eternal, what is gained by including them under the label "God"? Being made of protons and electrons, would I thus be a god as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

I'm saying that eternally existing truths, or you could just say truth, are/is God. I do not mean that as an equivocation. God is the collection of all eternally existent being.

How is that useful? Do you believe that God has an active will, an intelligence? Or is it just things that are "eternal"? What value does your definition of God hold?

quote:

I believe that a moral law is infused into us at creation by God. I have provided no evidence for my belief that morals come from God. I also believe Him to be an uncaused, personal, creator of the universe, who sans the universe, changeless, immaterial, timeless, spaceless, and enormously powerful. But I haven't explained why. I wasn't really looking for a debate about the existence of God. I just wanted to know how people arrived at morals without eternally existing being.

If you'd like to we can talk about that. I like the Kalam Cosmological Argument for the existence of God. if we're going to talk about that it'd be better if you read the argument first if you are unfamiliar with it. I'd rather not type out the whole argument here as it is explained well many places online.

Is the KSA what actually convinced you that God is real? If not, what actually did convince you?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

Your first question is explained by the second part of what you quoted me saying. I believe that truth is God and God is truth but that's not the only thing I believe about God.

Ok, can you please lay out more clearly what you believe about God, and why your definition is useful?

quote:

Why are you asking the second question?

Because if Kalam didn't actually convince you about God then why would you assume it would convince anyone else? I want to know what ultimately convinced you because that's where a meaningful discussion will lie, if there's one to be had at all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

*That argument is simple. This present moment depends on for it's existence the completion of the entire past. As it would have taken an eternal amount of time to arrive at this present moment were past time infinite, the past must be finite. Therefore a beginning--> A creator.

There are infinite numbers, does this mean it is impossible to count to 7? Is it impossible to count to 7 quadrillion (setting aside the limits of mortality)? If not, why is it then impossible to get to a finite point in an infinite timeline?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ok, show me those arguments and I will rebut them.

And I'm interested in talking to you, not with Craig through you as an medium. Please use your own words.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

I explained this above. I believe in a personal, changeless, unbelievably powerful absolute being who was the creator of the universe. Admittedly, I probably miswrote the OP and shouldn't have been intentionally vague. My obfuscation has just provided confusion. It just that I was not trying to start a "does God exist?" DD thread as we all know how well receive that poo poo is on this forum.

I wanted to know about non-theistic morality as I've never seen such a system like that that I found particularly persuasive.

Well in order to show a non-theistic morality system that you would find persuasive we have to know why you find your current systems persuasive. So far we only know you can quote other people and that "miracles" have happened to you. That doesn't give us a very good basis for demonstrating anything to you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

I find the lack of objectivity in non-theistic moral systems to make them unfeasible. To murder a random person is wrong. That is not merely an opinion but a fact. I couldn't ascribe to an ethical system that just says "Well, I don't want to murder a person because it would make me feel bad therefore I don't do it."

But you don't have any objectivity either. You claim to, but you can't demonstrate it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

A very close friend of mine is an atheist and doesn't believe objective "right or wrong". I asked him what about if he could steal hundreds of thousands of dollars from his parents in an untraceable way and absolutely get away with it with no suspicion would he do it? I asked wouldn't that be objectively wrong. He said nothing is objectively wrong. He said that no he wouldn't do it because he loves his family and wouldn't want to hurt them. Then I asked if he would steal the money from a large corporation under the same circumstances with total assurance of never getting caught. He said "gently caress yea he would. They have insurance so I'm not really hurting anyone except some minor lose at an insurance bureau."

That type of ethics bothers me although he is being totally logically consistent.

Ok, but that seems like something you should bring up with your friend, not us.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

Hypothetical questions are used to draw out the underlining principles. They are not meant to describe actually existing situations. And also you just admitted that under certain circumstances it is morally correct to torture an innocent child to death. Your ethical system is bankrupt.

Question: Do you believe in hell?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

Rejecting hypotheticals and thought experiments because "they can't happen in real life" is antithetical to doing philosophy. Also, lets say ISIS captured you and a bunch of other prisoners. The terms of release for all the prisoners were for you to kill the child prisoner. Otherwise they would behead you all in one week.

Is that real world enough for you?

What if the child volunteers to allow himself to be killed in return for the release of everyone else?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

That would be a great act of self sacrifice on that childs part.

But would it then be moral to kill the child?

quote:

What if you were able to answer hypothetical questions in a philosophy thread?

Make better hypotheticals if you don't want people asking questions to clarify them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Juffo-Wup posted:

No, I think the conclusion of the argument is supposed to be that an infinite chain of dependent entities is inconceivable/impossible, and therefore that there must be a non-dependent entity to ground the chain. Call that entity 'God' and you're like halfway there I guess.

A problem with the KCA (one of many) is that it provides no means of knowing anything about the thing it calls "God", much less that it's specifically Craig's version of the Christian God.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

No. If I jump in front of a bullet, just before the killer fires at Mary, I have done a heroic act in sacrificing my life for Mary

If some 2nd party pushes me in front of the bullet in order to save Mary, he has participated in my murder.

It's a very simple distinction between voluntarily offering oneself vs actually playing an active role in the unjust murder.

No one pushing the child in front of the bullet, the child is doing it willingly in this version of the hypothetical, "jumping in front of it",
as it were, in order to save his fellow prisoners.

To put it another way, would it be moral to stop you from jumping in front of a bullet to sacrifice yourself for Mary? I will have saved your life by allowing Mary to die. If I don't stop you, am I complicit in your murder for not saving you?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

He pretty convincingly argues that If the universe has a cause, then an uncaused, personal Creator of the universe exists, who is changeless, immaterial, timeless, spaceless, and enormously powerful. Those qualities would meet most definitions of divinity.

It tells us nothing about that god's character, though, or if it even has any. It could very well be an unthinking, unfeeling force. You can't go from Kalam to "therefore Yahweh."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

That's an interesting question.

[derail]
I was at a friends apartment many years ago when I was 17 and the guys in the apartment next door sold drugs. They were really nice guys, we'd smoke bud with them occasionally. One night, we heard 4 masked men burst into the apartment, beat them, and steal all their money and drugs. After a few minutes of listening to the neighbors scream I grabbed a butcher knife and tried to go help them. My friends physically restrained me from going over. Then they called the police.

Found out later that the four masked men all had guns. Had my friends let me go over with the butcher knife I'd probably have gotten shot/be dead now.

[/derail]

...and?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

I guess it would be moral for you to stop me from jumping in front of Mary, but i'm really not sure.

It certainly wouldn't be a seriously immoral act.

Don't you have an objective standard, though? There should be absolutely no question on what is or is not moral for you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

That is not a good representation of his argument. From an Atheist site I got this:

1. Everything that begins to exist has a cause.
2. The universe began to exist.

Demonstrate that this is true.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

How do you know that the universe was caused, though?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

2.11. An actual infinite cannot exist.

This disproves an infinite God right from the get-go. So if your god isn't infinite, what caused it?

Edit:

And, again, I'm only interested in speaking to you, not to people you can quote. If you can't phrase something in your own words then say so.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Juffo-Wup posted:

I think you might be (wrongly) conflating 'infinite' and 'eternal.'

It's possible, and if so I'll admit it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

An actual infinite cannot exist here in the universe. The creator is not material or existing inside the physical universe. He can be eternal.

How do you know that this is true? And please, don't just quote Craig at me again. If you don't know the answer or can't think of how to phrase it, that's fine.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

The hotel argument points out the absurdity of infinite material things. If the hotel has infinite rooms and they are all occupied and then a new customer comes the manger can still except new guests. He has infinite rooms. Everytime a new customer comes and can give them a room and move tenet in room 1 to room 2 an room 2 to room 3 etc. Even though every room is occupied he can always except new customers. And even though new customers are checking in he always has the same number of customers. Infinite. 1000 more check in, still the same number of customers. Even if an infinite amount of new customers can he could still accommodate all of them. and he would still have the same number of customers.

Now everyone in rooms with even numbers checks out. Guess what he still has the same exact number of customers; infinite.

The argument goes on and on but you get the point. An actually existing material thing is full of absurdities. It cannot exist.

These absurdities with the infinite do not exist with spiritual beings.

Ok, then how to do go from this to the Christian God specifically?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

Thats what I'm trying to research now.

If you didn't already know then why did you point towards Kalam as convincing?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

Demonstrate an example like the hotel argument about eternal spiritual being.

I don't even know what "spiritual being" even means. I have seen no evidence that such a thing actually exists, have you?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Belgian posted:

Why can't the universe be weird? There's nothing inconsistent here.

Looking things up, I found that Craig also uses the Borde-Guth-Vilenkin theorem as an argument for the finiteness of the universe. Which shows he doesn't understand the theorem as it implies no such thing and makes me worry about his understanding of such arguments in general.

Spoiler Alert: Craig's a bit of a moron.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

AARO posted:

I don't believe that to be the case. If that were true then people may as well do whatever they want whenever they want to whomever they want except watch anime I guess. I kind of like that God; could you please sign me up? I believe in an objective moral law but I'm not sure about the arguments which try to prove such a thing philosophically. We're at least dipping our toe in the pool of Theology once you start exploring that subject.

Why don't you believe that God to be true? How do you know anything about God's moral character?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zaradis posted:

Which was the argument I was making throughout most of this thread.

Doing so doesn't require any cognitive dissonance, though. That implies a discomfort with holding conflicting positions.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zaradis posted:

But to find meaning requires knowledge, neither of which can (in my opinion) be satisfactorily discovered. Yet, we want both meaning and knowledge. So we pretend that we have both.

We don't have them by your standards. Not everyone uses your standards, thus they can have both as far as they are concerned, and so there will be no cognitive dissonance.

Edit:
I don't agree that meaning requires knowledge. Meaning is imposed, it's not innate.

AARO posted:

The Hilbert Hotel argument is used to demonstrate the absurdity of an actual infinite.

Then, because of the absurdities inherent in an actual infinite, Craig says they cannot exist. I think the argument is just as strong if you say it proves that an actual material infinite cannot exist. If you leave out the material part, people will object because of actual infinites in math. However, the Intuitionalist believe an actual infinite cannot exist in mathematics. The mathematician Gauss also didn't believe in actual infinities. "I protest against the use of infinite magnitude as something completed, which is never permissible in mathematics. Infinity is merely a way of speaking, the true meaning being a limit which certain ratios approach indefinitely close, while others are permitted to increase without restriction"

But it appears there is an agreement that an actual material infinite cannot exist, I suppose because of it's absurdities. I'd like to here more arguments for and against this. Do intrinsic absurdities of a thing prove the impossibility of existence of a thing? This is the only part of the Kalam argument I'm not 100% convinced by.

Here is a simpler explanation of the hotel argument.

Infinite is a concept, not a concrete thing. So yes, when you misuse the term infinite then things don't really make any sense. But even granting that, none of this helps make the case that the universe was "caused" at all, much less by the Christian God specifically. Your example has nothing to do with the question that was asked.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 24, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zaradis posted:

I agree, but that it is imposed means that it is subjective and that it is subjective means any claims that others also ought to find meaning in the things you do are no better than saying "People should like what I like because I like what I like."

Only if every single person is a hyper-logical nihilistic solipsist. But, thankfully, they aren't, people care about and value subjective opinions and claims. And there's nothing wrong with doing so that would cause anybody any sense of cognitive dissonance, there are not necessarily any contradictory positions being held.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What exactly does Craig mean when he says "personal" cause?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Juffo-Wup posted:

That the cause is a thing with a mind, i.e., a person.

That seems ill-defined. Does it have to be caused by the mind alone? If I pour vinegar into baking soda is the resulting reaction personal or scientific? What if I leave a container of vinegar out and a gust of wind knocks it over into a pile of baking soda? What if that wind was caused by a fan I turned on? What if the wind was caused man-made global warming?

Basically, how many degrees of separation does it take before a cause is no longer personal?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zaradis posted:

I'd say that clinical psychopaths only value their own subjective opinions and claims. So they put no value in the subjective opinions or claims of others. If another person claims that the psychopath ought to value others opinions then there is simply a disagreement, since both claimants' opinions are grounded in subjectivity, and neither is grounded on any stronger ground than the other. And the important point for your argument is that, according to you, for the psychopath to be wrong just requires more subjective opinions in agreement against his own.

Woooooooooooooah there, where did I say this, again?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zaradis posted:

It seemed to me that what you were saying is that because most people care about and value subjective opinions and claims then that makes subjective opinions and claims valuable; but that would be a vicious circle.

No, I already told you that value is something that we as individuals impose upon things, it's not innate and our impositions of value are our own.

quote:

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed that you meant that because most people generally agree about which subjective opinions and values are valuable that this somehow grants some moral power for those subjective opinions to condemn or reward opinions that agree or disagree with them.

I find it funny that you say you "gave me the benefit of the doubt" by taking the worst possible view of what I said and then making completely baseless assumptions about what I meant.

I'll reiterate my point more clearly for you: you're wrong when you say that "a meaningful, satisfying, worthwhile human experience requires some level of cognitive dissonance in our day to day, moment to moment experience." You're perhaps projecting your own unease created by your positions, but there is nothing that necessitates other people using their own standards of "knowledge" and "meaning" be equally at odds such that they experience cognitive dissonance.

quote:

Regardless of what you mean, the point that people care about and value subjective opinions and claims says nothing of the moral authority of those opinions and claims. I see no reason why the fact that an individual, a nation, or every being in the universe value certain opinions and claims would give those opinions and claims moral authority over anyone in disagreement.

By this do you mean that I cannot morally judge the actions of others, to condemn or condone them? Because that's just flat out wrong too, I can and nobody can stop me. Or do you mean that there is no "moral authority" to, say, physically bar someone from what I believe to be an immoral action (such as stealing)?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

AARO posted:

It does seem to be self evident that all things which begin have a cause. Can you name one thing that began that did not have a cause?

No, you can't shift the burden of proof like that. If you're going to say that the Christian God caused the universe you have to support that. Even if no such examples exist that doesn't make your assertion the least bit more credible.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

AARO posted:

Yeah, except for of course if you read the argument.

There have been multiple responses pointing out huge glaring holes in the argument that you've completely ignored.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zaradis posted:

Correct, I never claimed otherwise. What I said was that your condemnations and condoning have no moral authority over those being judged other than in your own mind. If I am stealing from you and you condemn me for it, so what? That's just you trying to impose your subjective morality onto me. It is no better or worse, no more right or wrong, than my imposing of my subjective morality that it is good for me to steal from you. To try to enforce that condemnation physically is no different in a moral sense than my act of stealing from you. If you want to condemn me within your own moral realm (i.e. your mind), then you certainly can. But this wholly defeats the purpose of morality, which is to reward and punish people for their actions in one way or another.

Before I address this more in depth, are you also saying that morality's only purpose is to reward or to punish? And do you believe that only morality can be or should be the basis of rewarding or punishing actions?

And are you ever going to address my original point that cognitive dissonance is required in our day to day, moment to moment lives?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zaradis posted:

The point of morality is to have some ground from which one can claim that themselves and others ought to commit or not commit certain types of actions and to determine which of those actions deserve praise and which deserve condemnation.

If morality is subjectively imposed on the world, a premise with which I do not disagree, then there is no such ground. That the morality you impose might conflict with mine is simply a fact of the matter. If there is no higher level of morality by which to judge which one of our subjective moralities is right or wrong then it's merely your word against mine. It's opinion versus opinion. Unless you want to claim that certain subjective moral beliefs have more moral worth than others then you have no basis from which to claim that others ought to act a certain moral way or to give praise or condemnation of moral action. And if you do want to claim that then you would have to make an argument that I cannot imagine without reference to a non-subjective morality.

Therefore, if morality is subjectively imposed on the world, then to make moral claims necessitates that the person making the claim either actively deny, actively ignore, or be cognitively dissonant about the subjective origin of morality.

Could you please, for once, answer the question I actually asked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zaradis posted:

You seem to like to change your own interpretation of the question rather than addressing my responses. In my opinion, I have answered your question satisfactorily. If you disagree, then you must have a problem with the content of my answer or how I answered it and you should address the problem you have rather than simply claiming that I have not answered it. I'm responding to facilitate an interesting philosophical discussion, not to try to satisfy sophistry.

Let me reiterate the questions you didn't answer for you:

Who What Now posted:

Before I address this more in depth, are you also saying that morality's only purpose is to reward or to punish? And do you believe that only morality can be or should be the basis of rewarding or punishing actions?

To which the only portion of your reply immediately relevant to these questions is:

quote:

The point of morality is to have some ground from which one can claim that themselves and others ought to commit or not commit certain types of actions and to determine which of those actions deserve praise and which deserve condemnation.

Which, granted, does partially answer the first question, and I could assume that you meant that yes, morality's only purpose is to be a basis for reward or punishment, but I don't like making assumptions. It's dishonest and not conducive to a meaningful conversation and as such should always be done as little as possible. So I'll ask you to be more clear; do you believe that morality's only purpose is to be a basis for rewarding and punishing actions?

You also ignored the question of whether there can be other bases for a system of rewarding or punishing actions entirely. Again, I could make assumptions, but I try not to in order to be consistent.

• Locked thread