Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

AARO posted:

The hotel argument points out the absurdity of infinite material things. If the hotel has infinite rooms and they are all occupied and then a new customer comes the manger can still except new guests. He has infinite rooms. Everytime a new customer comes and can give them a room and move tenet in room 1 to room 2 an room 2 to room 3 etc. Even though every room is occupied he can always except new customers. And even though new customers are checking in he always has the same number of customers. Infinite. 1000 more check in, still the same number of customers. Even if an infinite amount of new customers can he could still accommodate all of them. and he would still have the same number of customers.

Now everyone in rooms with even numbers checks out. Guess what he still has the same exact number of customers; infinite.

The argument goes on and on but you get the point. An actually existing infinite material thing is full of absurdities. It cannot exist.

These absurdities with the infinite do not exist with spiritual beings.

Why can't the universe be weird? There's nothing inconsistent here.

Looking things up, I found that Craig also uses the Borde-Guth-Vilenkin theorem as an argument for the finiteness of the universe. Which shows he doesn't understand the theorem as it implies no such thing and makes me worry about his understanding of such arguments in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

AARO posted:

The theorem shows it's most likely that the universe is finite doesn't it? It doesn't state that is definitely finite. Perhaps Craig hasn't pointed out that distinction.

But we certainly except scientific probabilities, rather than absolute certainties, quite often.

No, it shows that it's likely that a description based on our current models breaks down very badly at some point. Bit there are also examples of models where the theorem does not apply (including something I came up with).

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

AARO posted:

The Hilbert Hotel argument is used to demonstrate the absurdity of an actual infinite.

Then, because of the absurdities inherent in an actual infinite, Craig says they cannot exist. I think the argument is just as strong if you say it proves that an actual material infinite cannot exist. If you leave out the material part, people will object because of actual infinites in math. However, the Intuitionalist believe an actual infinite cannot exist in mathematics. The mathematician Gauss also didn't believe in actual infinities. "I protest against the use of infinite magnitude as something completed, which is never permissible in mathematics. Infinity is merely a way of speaking, the true meaning being a limit which certain ratios approach indefinitely close, while others are permitted to increase without restriction"

But it appears there is an agreement that an actual material infinite cannot exist, I suppose because of it's absurdities. I'd like to here more arguments for and against this. Do intrinsic absurdities of a thing prove the impossibility of existence of a thing? This is the only part of the Kalam argument I'm not 100% convinced by.

Here is a simpler explanation of the hotel argument.

As I said before, that doesn't show anything contradictory. It shows infinity is weird. But hey, the world is weird and what's wrong with that. What Gauss has to say here isn't terribly relevant. Today we are much more comfortable describing things as infinite. Your argument is also irrelevant to the post you're responding to, which didn't object to beginning but objected to beginning impying a cause.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

AARO posted:

It does seem to be self evident that all things which begin have a cause. Can you name one thing that began that did not have a cause?

The natural numbers begin with 0, but there is no cause there.

By the way, I do not believe the universe has a beginning, but I'm willing to investigate the concept.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 25, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

you're not engaging in objective observation of events in the world. Rather, you're making subjective judgement.

Why / where is the difference? I experience things as being a certain colour and I also experience things as being right or wrong. Where is the difference?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Show me a token value fact that exists without a subjective opinion. You can't it's a impossibility.

There is no such image you can show that in of itself represents a moral truth. It's unobservable.

Moral truth does not exist because as society evolves so these " truths" evolve

Your metaphysical fancy talk means nothing because you cannot demonstrate it's actual application.

Show me an image of Beethoven's ninth symphony. If you can't, does that mean it does not exist?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

Why does God have to be eternal?

If there is a god, and thats a BIG if, that itself is evidence that another entity can create a Universe. Using this evidence why wouldn't God's Universe also be subjected to creation by another entity, and so on.

Further evidence of us being in layers of universes and realities is Virtual Reality. If we can create worlds so can the beings in the next level up.

Mathematically there is more proof that existence is infinite and we are just a bump on the road. Who caused that bump? Who caused the sun to emit light? There are rules in place that we try to explain using mathematics, we are also part of the equation.

I find a lot of people who believe in God don't understand how even the basics of biology work, it is impossible to create something in your own image as everything is constantly changing. Evolution hasn't stopped, the human species goes through mutations in every birth. Our DNA is different from person to person. Homo sapien sapiens aren't even the pinnacle of Evolution, once AI can start programming itself to become better, then they are on the top, and God would've had to be an AI.

Is God an AI? Is God an ever changing Universe that is infinite contained in another infinite universe?

We are just in a mathematical simulation akin to a Mandelbrot set.

Sounds like schitzophrenic on drugs. A+, would read again.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Insert image off sheet music, video of performance, sound of performance, etc..
Is seeing the sheet music really the same as hearing the symphony to you? It takes a lot of training for the sheet music to mean anything at all, let alone invoke the symphony. The other two are not images.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Zaradis posted:

The point is that all of those things are empirically experienced. To claim that morality is only another sort of empirical experience requires a lot more and, if this thread is any indication, cannot actually be done, no matter how much some want to claim that it can.

What more is required? I experience morality. Do you not? Blind people don't experience sight, but that has no impact on my ability to experience sight.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Zaradis posted:

To hold the belief that murder is wrong is not an empirically discovered or verifiable belief. To believe that murder happens or murder is an empirical action is different that believing in a moral judgment about that empirical action. That this continues to not be understood is beyond me and it is a waste of time to continue to state the obvious in different ways in the hopes that those who have faith it isn't true will recognize its truth.

You keep stating this without any proof. I experience murder as wrong, and everyone I know does so too. Where is the difference with other kinds of experience?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Zaradis posted:

You're ignoring the empirical adjective, which is the key to my point. Are you seriously claiming that all experience is somehow empirical? Or that all experienced belief is equally justified? This is just getting worse and worse.

What I'm asking is, what makes some kinds of experience empirical, but not moral experience?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Zaradis posted:

Experience via sensory stimulation. If you believe all experience is empirical then you have no grounds for morality whatsoever, as has already been stated and explained multiple times by multiple posters. If all experience is empirical then the "love" that someone claims to "feel" for their child is an illusion. That you "believe" that one empirical experience is more morally valuable than another is an illusion. This is our entire point. What you want to claim as moral realism is more rightly moral delusion.

To differentiate some experience as via one way and other as via another way is tho already implicitly accept a whole lot of stuff about the world. At first there is only experience.
Could you maybe go through an example or something to show what you mean by empirical experience?

Ratoslov posted:

Great. So when you meet someone who says murder is not wrong, or who has a different definiton of 'murder' than you, who's right, you or them? If these 'moral experiences' are really representative of something in the world and not just something you believe to be true, then everyone's moral intuitions should be identical across all cultures and all of history. Can you demonstrate that to be true?

Are you equally bothered by the colourblind?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

Okay. So your answer to people having differing moral intuitions is that everyone who disagrees with the true morality is disabled in some sense. Great. So to repeat my question:

Well of course I'd be inclined to assume it's me, but I won't exculde the possibility that I'm wrong, in the same way that I can admit I(m sometimes mistaken about visual experience. But I'd rather not say that murder in the abstract is wrong, instead preferring to look at a specific instance and the experience of it.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

This is like the sovereign citizen thread of ethics, no combination of magical words are going to prove moral truth.

That's my argument you cannot have the argument be evidence in of itself. You are writing a logical fallacy of affirming the consequent.

Where has someone affirmed the consequent? Maybe I missed it but I don't recall that.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

My opinion is that as a pragmatist without evidence, consequences, or any observable phenomena that morality is not otherwise subjective then morality is subjective.

But you experience some moral sense as a phenomena (which may be subjective or obejective), yes? What distinguishes it from other phenomena that you might classify as objective? (Or is your intention to go maximum solipsism?)

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I don't experience morals as a spiritual experience or phenomena I don't know where you got that. I can observe actions and then make a subjective opinion on whether they are good or bad , but I don't and no one does "feel" murder other than the physical actions associated with the act itself.

You're the one bringing the term 'spiritual' in here. Do you really experience something like 'knife here', 'blood here', 'body parts here',... ; are completely neutral about this, calmly analyze and then after a few minutes go 'yep this is murder', then analyze a few more minutes and go 'this is probably bad'; or what are you picturing here?

EDIT: Feel free to go for a less extreme example / something you actually experienced if you didn't experience this if you prefer.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

No, I believe murder is wrong just that you don't have to experience murder to know it is wrong. Just because the action is observable doesn't mean that it has to be broken down like a analytical computer. As a pragmatist though I believe that my morals are based on subjective lessons I've learned from my enviroment and my families upbringing.

What I don't see the point of is the metaphysical argument of breaking down actual subjective moral questions and somehow revealing that these values can equal a token of morality and that through doing so we can reach a moral truth or moral fact.

My other point is that people generally are utilitarian when it comes to certain philosophical questions.

It differs from solipsism by the virtue that value is subjective and can come from outside oneself. I value life, others value life, this gives it its subjective value. The taking of life is wrong because of the value I place on life. That's my completely subjective view.

Thank you for your response. I was about to edit my post as I was worried I wasn't being clear (and I wasn't). I'm not asking you to outline some framework or to analyze the ethics of some hypothetical situation. I'm asking for an account of a situation you were in that involved ethics and how you experienced that situation. [Especially how ethical experience gets separated from the other sorts of experience. After you have the experience, sure, you can maybe start building some theory or framework in the same way you build theories from any other kind of experience.]

EDIT: By ethical experience I don't (necessarily) mean anything spiritual. Looking at the experiences involved in

quote:

lessons I've learned from my enviroment and my families upbringing.
could be a good start?

As far as I know it isn't correct that most people are utilitarian. According to this poll: http://philpapers.org/surveys/results.pl , only 23% responded as being consequentialists. (I think utilitarianism is a form of consequentialism?)
Of course polling the general population would be harder, especially as the terminology would be unfamiliar to some.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 28, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Oh dear clone posted:

OK, my jaw is on the floor. I make conscious decisions over ethical dilemmas all the time. Should I really take time to answer these posts, or would it be better and kinder to do the washing up, or would it be better to insist my niece does it instead of shirking again? for example.

(This post kept short because my answer to the first part was doubtful.)

To me these seem like great examples of everyday ethical experience. How does this kind of experience get differentiated from other kinds?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Goon Danton posted:

Yeah, I would have thought moral decisions are a normal part of everyday life for almost everyone. Do... do you not consider whether your actions are right or wrong that often? Referring to Hollismason and Rudatron here.

To add to this, I wonder how much stupid hypotheticals, like the trolley problem, corrupt ethics. Certainly I worry that they have an averse influence on thinking about more mundane ethics, the good life. Anybody else have an opinion about this?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I don't find hypothetical exercises to be incompatible with everyday ethics? You use the same reasoning for both?

I'm not sure that you do? Or you might hope and think that you do, but do you really experience everyday ethical situations in the same way as you do sitting in your chair thinking about some weird hypothetical?

I'm also not saying that such hypotheticals are totally useless, just wondering how careful we should be.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Well, yes kinda. I derive my ethical instincts from my general ethical understanding.

This seems sort of backwards to me? Maybe it's what you do, but when you're in a concrete situation where you 'do' ethics, do you really sit down, go 'hmm, yes, this is my general ethical framework', then take that framework and derive what you should do in that situation from it and then do it?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Certainly nowadays it's derived from the cumulative results of my ethical experience.

Great, this seems sensible. What I'm wondering (and what I've ask other people before without response) is: Is there is a difference between how we build ethical theory from cummulative ethical experience and how we build theories about other things from cummulative experience about those things?

EDIT: With the thing that I'm going towards being: Shouldn't whatever makes you convinced their are chairs and rocks and things 'out there' from your experience of those things make you convinced there are ethics 'out there'. Or do you not believe there are chairs and rocks 'out there'?

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

rudatron posted:

I find it almost impossible to believe that this is a majority philosophical position, because it's totally ignoring post modernism. I'm not a post-modernist, but you have to be able to give an effective reply to that kind of attack, and it simply cannot.

What do you mean by postmodernism in this context?

• Locked thread