Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

olin posted:

I find the lack of objectivity in non-theistic moral systems to make them unfeasible. To murder a random person is wrong. That is not merely an opinion but a fact. I couldn't ascribe to an ethical system that just says "Well, I don't want to murder a person because it would make me feel bad therefore I don't do it."

But how do you know that murdering someone is objectively wrong? To put it a bit inflammatory, if God had ordained that murder was objectively good, would you consider it ethical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

olin posted:

That type of ethics bothers me although he is being totally logically consistent.

I think the interesting question is: Why specifically does it bother you? Does it bother you because his values don't reflect your own moral code? Does it bother you because he applies different standards to his family than to a corporation? Or does it bother you because being subjective means his values are subject to constant changes and thus unpredictable to a certain extent?

• Locked thread