Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh dear clone
Apr 8, 2016

Hollismason posted:

No, seriously when was the last time that any one has made a conscious decision over something they would consider a ethical dilemma? Like a legitimate issue where you were like " Is this ethical for me to do this?"

rudatron posted:

I've been lucky enough to never have been in such a situation, but I can't imagine many people are in such a situation all that often. If you're in anything but a leadership role, you already know exactly what's expected of you - it's more an issue of either being forced to do something you think would be unethical (the actual morality of the situation wouldn't be in doubt), or you're doing something you know is wrong but have some other interest in mind. The actual dilemma you're looking for, of having to choose between two options of unknown morality, would be quite rare.

OK, my jaw is on the floor. I make conscious decisions over ethical dilemmas all the time. Should I really take time to answer these posts, or would it be better and kinder to do the washing up, or would it be better to insist my niece does it instead of shirking again? for example.

(This post kept short because my answer to the first part was doubtful.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear clone
Apr 8, 2016

Hollismason posted:

Most people don't I mean that implies people in their day to day lives make multiple ethically debatable decisions and for a majority that's just not the case.

People make ethically debatable decisions every time they do anything at all (including doing nothing). Perhaps you mean only that most people don't think about or question what they ought to do very often, but in that case, have you got statistics? I really don't think worrying about what one should do is at all unusual.

Oh dear clone
Apr 8, 2016

Hollismason posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/motivates-consumers-environmental-ethical-decisions

Also, yes I don't believe people debate themselves in regard to decisions they make.

Why?

Because as far as I can see that article suggests just the opposite. It shows a very large majority interested in the morality of their purchases, with disagreement over the answers.

• Locked thread