Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

rudatron posted:

I find it almost impossible to believe that this is a majority philosophical position, because it's totally ignoring post modernism. I'm not a post-modernist, but you have to be able to give an effective reply to that kind of attack, and it simply cannot.

Well then it might be a good point in the conversation to mention that analytic philosophy is largely fraudulent bullshit that can only persist through a process of self-imposed exile from any conversation about its subjects that has taken place more recently than about fifty years or so.

It was actually precisely this debate that led to me dumping my philosophy major at University in favor of something more serious. Moral realism absolutely is the majority opinion, along with a number of other equally ludicrous notions that fit more neatly into logical syllogisms than their more continental counterparts. And the argument for it is exactly as transparently stupid as it would appear to anyone with a 9th graders awareness of current events. Its just blatantly a case of arguing backwards from a preferred conclusion and formalizing existing folk theories (which are largely ideologically driven) because thats the only goal analytic philosophy ever set for itself.

One of the things you either learn or don't learn about philosophy is that the smartest and most important thinkers in the game are the ones whose work largely revolves around shattering any future possibilities for the discipline and everyone else is just tenured and spinning their wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread