Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bates
Jun 15, 2006

olin posted:

I know there are many non-theists who hold deep ethical and moral beliefs. I'm wondering how you respond to the positivists. Where is the verifiability for your moral and ethical claims? You can't prove with science that it's "wrong" to do anything can you? So why do you believe it?

I hold those beliefs for two reasons. First, I'm wired for empathy so if you suffer then so do I. Second, most agree that pleasure is preferable to suffering so we're all bound by a common interest to maximize the former over the latter. Doing otherwise is fundamentally irrational and is playing the odds that others won't eventually ignore your needs. I don't care if an action is objectively proven to be good or bad. I have rational reasons to behave in a framework that maximizes pleasure for as many people as possible. It makes me feel good and it maximizes my own chances of happiness.

Moreover, my moral code comes from me. This is what I feel and I make these decisions. A moral code given to you, is just rules you follow because you've been told to. What if I disagree wildly with those rules? I don't think slavery is good but religions and cultures have held that it was and backed it up with scripture and philosophical musings. Well I don't care. I don't care if a supreme being is proven to exist and that its moral code includes slavery. My moral code will still say it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

olin posted:

In utilitarianism wouldn't you be obligated to torture an innocent child to death if your doing so would save 10,000 other lives?

Would it be moral if God asked you to torture a child?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

olin posted:

Taking my definition of God, all goodness, love and truth, your question reads "What if God was not God." It's nonsensical.

But how did you determine that its not "goodness, love and truth" or Gods nature to torture children? How did you arrive at your definition of good. Is it a biblical claim or do you "just know".

• Locked thread