Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Loki_XLII posted:

Just got back from seeing this, and I absolutely love it. What a gorgeous movie. I do worry, with the comparisons to Snowpiercer, people won't get it.

Basically, I'm picturing a lot of "but why don't they just leave?".

Its relatively subtle I guess, but its heavily implied that the world outside is no picnic. We only get quick glimpses of it, but I got the feeling that its like 90% parking lots. Its like Mad Max if instead of the wasteland there was an endless parking lot.

There's effectively no law enforcement, and I'm not sure society is really functioning at all anymore. Dr. Liang goes to work but it barely seems necessary, he seems to be going through the motions.

I watched this as a double feature with Brazil, but it would probably go really well with Playtime as well.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

I assume that no one leaves for the same reason that Laing doesn't: They can't help themselves. There's just *something* about life in the High Rise that keeps them there.

I really don't think there's anything outside that people would want to go out for. From what we're shown its all a big parking lot with a few buildings sprinkled in. And this huge parking lot sea is a battleground that doesn't appear to be safe at all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got the sense watching the movie that a parking space was like a highly sought after resource, and figuring out where you parked your car and where to park it once you've returned home is a major issue. I imagined the world as 80% parking lot and 20% high rise buildings, with nothing from the natural world left to be seen anywhere.

All that could be 100% wrong but I like that the movie gives you these little tidbits and lets you run with it.

• Locked thread