Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna play as America and do my customary "Make the Phillippines into a Vietnam-esque boondoggle for the Japanese" then come in a year or two later and BTFO japan with my shiny new toys I built with all the industry I get

unless HoI4 railroads again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DOMDOM posted:

What makes me sad about this statement is that it basically says Germans can't be trusted without censorship and handholding, but I'll bite my tongue as the rest of this argument belongs in d&d

What are you supposed to do? Just let Nazis get elected again?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
One thing that worries me about HoI4 is that you need "naval supremacy" to conduct a naval invasion.

In WW2 there were many invasions done with one side having an air force/navy. Like Guadalcanal where the IJN showed up. Or Port Moresby where the USN showed up. Etc...

WIll we be able to launch invasions despite the enemy having a navy or do we have to dismantle their entire fleet before we can even invade small islands in the outer pacific.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If you want Nazi symbols so bad just downliad the day 1 DLC for ut Pdox is providing.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Empress Theonora posted:

it's a copy/paste from the official forums

Nazi grogs tricked me again

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They should just set the German flag to a hardcoded "nazi punks gently caress off" album cover

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Of course one of the mod ideas that seems to be getting the most community interest is one that adds in the CSA.

Tbh i would love that so I could burn the south down again

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just hope tonnage is in from HoI3

I liked seeing Japans economy fail before my eyes as I strangled it to death with a horde of submarines

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Option to form Rome as Italy under Emperor Mussolius

Imperial Subjugation cassus belli against France, Spain, Portugal, UK, Benelux and greece

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

but for some reason not turkey?

No

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I tgink HoI4 has its poo poo together.

But yea USA for learning since its like impossible to lose

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

The OOB and TOE could be fleshed out. Military formations without artillery would have been unthinkable in 1916, let alone 1936.

Artillery is a battalion level attachment for your divisions

You donr get artillery divisions

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Enjoy posted:

How do you know what the default attachments are

Theres an entire dev diary about it plus streams

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Don't you see the big ARTILLERY icon in the support section?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ArchangeI posted:

That's a single company when the historical division had about ten times that.

But anyway fixing division OoBs will be done by mods probably within the first 24 hours.

No they didnt have 200 pieces of artillery

Infantry guns, field guns, mortars and such do not refer to artillery

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

It says they have 24 155mm guns, but that each regiment also has a battery, as well as AT, AA, infantry guns and mortars.

Which is a pretty huge difference.

At least having the 36 75mm guns in regimental artillery, brings the total to 60 which is a big leap from 24.

It's an omission that didn't have to be made. They have the system for divisional artillery (support tab) and they have the system for regimental artillery (battalions in the columns) so why not use their own systems?

Let me reiterate

mortars, field guns, AT guns, AA guns, and infantry guns are not artillery

Artillery specifically refers to actual artillery guns and nothing else.

All of those other things either fall into:

1. Their own support company

2. Infantry research, just like HoI3 (infantry support tech)

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 23, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Infantry were used to invade the USSR

The invasion of the USSR failed

Therefore infantry are a failure

Mechas are the only way

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wooper posted:

Are you still going on about this.

All those things are part of the infantry regiments and equipment that all the infantry divisions already have.

This

Thw game has many abstractions. If you are concerned about exact TOEs and poo poo play a legit grog game

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I am concerned that the naval combat is a lot weaker than the land combat. While it's pretty clear that the granularity of combat is a lot bigger than games like War in the East, land combat still looks like it has great potential for maneuver warfare, whereas navy combat looks like it's just "ships gonna fight each other in the same place, better have more ships in one place than the other guy."

Thats pretty much what naval combat is.

At the level of abstraction (strategic level) we have thats the best you can do.

You would have to make a tactical game to do good navies unless youre War In The Pacific

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

LordArgh posted:

i do not envy paradox being a target of the level of sperginess exhibited in this thread

Youre surprised that a historical wargame has a bunch of pedants as fans?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

LordArgh posted:

my favorite was the one who wanted them to model multiple varieties of german assault guns

I don't see a problem with a historical wargame modelling historical war machines

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
By the same logic why not just complain about having different tanks all together

just have one tank that is shared between all factions because actually adding in real tanks is for nerds

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sharzak posted:

Wait what? Every factions medium tank or whatever is going to be identical?

Identical in literally every way except for the icon on the production screen and the name. Unless you buy the sprites, then the sprite will be different too.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I just want to be able to send my army of 100,000 troops into another army of 100,000 troops and pray to the RNG gods I win, not this tactical bullshit. Who the gently caress cares who's tanks are better when it should just be "who has the larger army"? Why can't I just spend mana tactical points to cast fireball on firebomb Dresden?

What I'm saying is: Why can't this game be even more casual?

1. You can't fireball dresden because Paradox won't show bad things that happen in war

2. Careful what you wish for. Stellaris.

Also your entire argument is flawed because the mana is called FUHRER POINTS REICHSTAMINA

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

No, its because it's illegal and frankly insensitive to depict it in Paradox's second-best market.

Jesus dude.

Not that I care if its in the game or not, but why would it be illegal?

And why would it be insensitive? Strategic bombing is already in the game. Firebombing IS strategic bombing. What do you think they're dropping and who do you think they're dropping them on.

No more insensitive than playing as Germany. Every province you take, you know what goes on in during the "occupation." I'll give you a hint, its not just adding grey stripes everywhere.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Hearts of Iron IV desperately needs multiplayer nuremburg trials

Would play this tbh

It would be like Ace Attorney except you get to hang nazis instead

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Let me remind everyone that HoI4 comes out in 2 weeks so we only have 14 days to :goonsay: this thread into the ground so we have stuff to complain about when the game comes

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Its just gonna be a forced declared war

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ive also heard that you need resources + equipment to repair

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Came in to see like 40 new posts

All about loving assault gun drama

Fantastic, keep up the good work. Almost 7 days left! Gotta poo poo up the thread even worse until release day.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just so you guys know you can make multiple variants and have them all in service.

poo poo you could theoretically have some of every vehicle in the game in active service at the same time with the really cool looking production system

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The worst part is "assault guns" are functionally in the game. Just make a TD with high whatever relevant stat and low armor or whatever your heart desires.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, the 3d models in action look so cluttered and confusing I would rather have clean, easy to read counters than like 30 guys standing doing a gun firing animation and you don't know who is who.

Like have you seen the videos of the combat up close? Its borderline impossible to figure out whats happening, especially with air combat. It looks like somebody vomiting in real time, there's so much poo poo thats impossible to discern between.

Where's that gif of Germany invading Holland. That's specifically what I'm referring to.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Details are for nerds

more than one generic infantry/tank/airplane per faction is for nerds

every faction should be exactly the same in every way

There should also be no terrain. Adding terrain to account for is so groggy. Terrain is for spergs. So get rid of terrain entirely. Who cares where they are fighting as long as they are fighting right? I don't care what temperature it is, or if there's mountains. God what nerds.

Weather is out too.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 26, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dtkozl posted:

The interesting thing about the sherman is it never got a reputation for burning easily among the russians because as it turns out it burned less frequently than the t34. Most russian designs had worse ammo storage than even american tanks due to their tight design and often had ammo just rolling around on the turret floor.

Also any time I see a tank with rivets it reminds me of this story about an Italian tank and a non-penetrating hit that snapped off a bunch of rivets and they killed a crewman while they were bouncing around the cabin. I wonder if other armies had that problem.

No, because other armies didn't make their tanks as lovely as the Italians

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dtkozl posted:

Japan built a tank with the gun pointing the wrong way.

Japan and Italy had the worst tanks ever

it is known

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Watching World War Wednesday the game looks good. Fingers crossed they don't pull another stellaris.

1 week, 5 days.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
God dammit I want this game already

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Loosely related:

A demo of a multiplayer coop U-boat simulator came out today called HMS Marulken and its awesome.

We ought to get a goon crew going, with me obviously as her valiant captain.

Download here

http://hmsmarulken.se/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Smoremaster posted:

this looks cool as hell, downloading it now

If anybody wants to get a game going add me on steam

Phi230