Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Bufuman posted:

Wasn't Bo Jackson so overpowered in that game that any player going for a perfect season just resets if they end up having a game against Oakland at any point? Sounds like "fun".

Mind you I was never this good, but Bo allowed you to do stuff like this. I would never call him a hidden superboss, as the ESPN special mentions virtual Bo's dominance of Tecmo Bowl. He's like Omega, just in your way and will run over you if you aren't prepared.

https://youtu.be/8PBvOxicz-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bomega Jackson, probably the most famous Football and Baseball player to ever become an engine of pure destruction, only brought to his knees by being poisoned in a pocket dimension while time itself was stopped by Wayne Gretzky while Michael Jordan stared him down.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Well, this just came fresh off the heels of Fiesta:

Grand Cross, a FF5 randomizer.

I can't vouch for the quality, but then again, quality is not what people are looking for in randomizers :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Oh boy, gonna have fun with this one.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Man, those randomizers can be bonkers. I played a Beyond Chaos, the FF6 randomizer, a while back. One of my characters had Fight, Shock, Life 2 (the spell itself, not in the spell list but as its own command, and it cost no MP) and Item as their commands. Another character had Wildbear as a command, a healing ability that normally can only be used with one of Mog's Dances, at a 1/16 chance. For good reason: it has a spell power of 100. For comparison, Cure/Cura/Curaga have spell powers of 10, 28, and 66 respectively,. Imagine Banon with a 4x more powerful Pray (which is normally just a free Cura), Sabin's stats, and Cyan's equipment options. It was beautiful and I loved it.

The only problem is that enemies have the potential be precisely as broken, so... have fun if you run into one of those.

EDIT: Oh! I forgot the funniest part of that hack! One character WILL inherit Umaro's unique command setup, i.e. auto-Berserk and with only one command they can use by default. This can be Umaro's slot as usual, or any of your other characters. And the one command they can use is ALSO randomized. I know one guy that started his game, only to find out that Terra was literally useless, because she got the Umaro set with only the Morph command.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 7, 2016

RitzBlues
May 30, 2014

Bufuman posted:

...bonkers randomizers...

I need this in my life. I recently got interested in randomizers, specifically A Link to the Past, and Super Mario World randomizers, but I never even considered looking up RPG randomizers. I enjoyed Brave New World, but never considered finishing it. I think this will be my next long-term gaming project! I just hope there isn't a stupid unbeatable wall several hours into the game. For those of you who have tried randomizers like these, have you ever finished one?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Can Of Worms posted:

Well, this just came fresh off the heels of Fiesta:

Grand Cross, a FF5 randomizer.

I can't vouch for the quality, but then again, quality is not what people are looking for in randomizers :v:

I'm playing with this right now and can verify it is insane.

If you choose to randomize abilities, it randomizes AP costs also - my white mage's first ability (Black Lv 1) cost 9 ap, my trainer's first ability costs 434 AP (no idea what it is). It seems to be weighted towards giving you early abilities first, but my thief's first ability was "Call Lv 3" so there's no guarantees. My thief also has "!Item" replaced with "!White", while everyone else still has item.

If anybody wants to observe this madness, I'll be live for a little while at https://www.twitch.tv/smelltastic.

Edit:

This was in Tycoon Castle. Dayum!

But, uhhh....

Yes that's right, my knight gets !White/Black instead of Attack.

Oh wait, I'm so used to GBA I didn't realize !Capture is actually !Mug, not the beastmaster ability. Hahahahahahaaaa

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 8, 2016

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ahahaha holy poo poo, I just got Ninja from the water crystal, and it is completely hosed. Its equip list is knives, swords(!), axes(!), harps(meh), and presumably all the ninja/thief weapons (moonring blade is ok). It still has innate dual wield. Its command list is blue, throw, and item. Water scrolls are buyable in Walse. Its agility and magic stats are both 47(!!) The only problem is I haven't found Learning yet, though I haven't done any thorough testing to see if any of my jobs have it innately.

Other highlights include Monk with an amusingly large equip list and a vitality of loving 75, black mage with mix in its item slot, and summoner with magic sword but no fight (it still has summon so whatever). And the ultimate troll: I got hastega from one of the tycoon chests, and bard has time as one of its commands, but apparently not at a high enough level for hastega.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Just tried the FF6 beyond chaos randomizer, and it's pretty awesome. The game is still broken as hell but in new, unpredictable ways. I also had a good time with a Super Metroid randomizer, although I find it less well suited to the concept than an RPG. The Metroid one I used claimed that each generation was beatable but I ran into numerous brick walls. Maybe it's easy if you can 100% the game from memory and nail every trick jump but you're still running all over the map hoping to find staples like bombs and high jump boots. Final Fantasy responds well to shuffling since the map is static and there are so many ways to finish battles.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Asimov posted:

Just tried the FF6 beyond chaos randomizer, and it's pretty awesome. The game is still broken as hell but in new, unpredictable ways. I also had a good time with a Super Metroid randomizer, although I find it less well suited to the concept than an RPG. The Metroid one I used claimed that each generation was beatable but I ran into numerous brick walls. Maybe it's easy if you can 100% the game from memory and nail every trick jump but you're still running all over the map hoping to find staples like bombs and high jump boots. Final Fantasy responds well to shuffling since the map is static and there are so many ways to finish battles.

The Super Metroid randomizer is made for racers so nailing the trick jumps is basically the point. Once you've played it a few times it gets a tad samey because of the concessions it makes to playability (you will get speed booster or screw attack from the first missile tank room basically every time, both of which blow the early game wide open)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, if you're a normal gamer, or even a semi-hard Metroid fan, the Super Metroid randomizer is not for you. Which is annoying, since I'd dearly love to see a good procedurally-generated Metroidvania and this seems like the best available approach (vs. writing a game from scratch), but oh well.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
After finishing my fiesta I was looking into doing a randomizer for abilities, but hit a snag with how if you got !White lvl 4, but didn't have !White lvl 1 it wouldn't show up on the abilities. I wonder if it's not the case for the SNES version or if they did some more complex workarounds.

(There was also the issue of going from !Black3 to !Black2 downgrading your abilities)

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, if you're a normal gamer, or even a semi-hard Metroid fan, the Super Metroid randomizer is not for you. Which is annoying, since I'd dearly love to see a good procedurally-generated Metroidvania and this seems like the best available approach (vs. writing a game from scratch), but oh well.

The current version does have a casual difficulty option, but I haven't tested it's viability yet.

The default difficulty on previous versions was pretty doable if you could mockball for early supers and ice beam, I've found.

I dunno, I thought it was a ton of fun.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/774427345298096128

Info graph is out. Gilgabot does have cool hair.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Should I feel happy or depressed that I was one of the eighteen crazy people who completed quadzerks?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Could someone please link that directly? For some reason I always have trouble with t.co links.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

AlphaKretin posted:

Could someone please link that directly? For some reason I always have trouble with t.co links.
http://fourjobfiesta.com/infopicture/infopicture2016.png

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Huzzah! posted:

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/774427345298096128

Info graph is out. Gilgabot does have cool hair.

Nice to get the info graph so quickly this year. Though it bothers me to an unreasonable extent that the pie charts use both percentages and normal values.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Wait, there was a secret mode? And I guess I am just gonna finish my fiesta late.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I feel sad that I am one of those uncompleted Pure Chaos runs. drat my computer.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Someone should tell Gilgabot that the image for the least common job set has a time mage instead of a summoner.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Wait, there was a secret mode? And I guess I am just gonna finish my fiesta late.

#BlameEverhate registered you for a quadzerker run in honor of the first person who completed one for the fiesta last year, who tragically passed away before this year's Fiesta.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KnoxZone posted:

Should I feel happy or depressed that I was one of the eighteen crazy people who completed quadzerks?

Eighteen? I thought it was twelve that beat it.

*double checks the infograph*

Ah, I had looked at the words and graph (and ignored the color designations since I was checking Twitter on my phone and those little dots were tiny) and not noticed that the finished runs were on the right instead of the left. Thanks for being confusing about that, Gilgabot.

But yeah, it's kind of both an honor and a testament to our insanity to have been part of that select group of crazy-rear end players. Either way if that run is still a thing next year, I am NOT doing it a second time. The Sandworm grind was boring, the NExdeath grind even worse, and Grand Cross filled me with Zerk-like rage. If I announce that I'm doing it again next year, one of you get a mod to threaten me with a ban or something, because I think that would automatically disqualify me from being intelligent enough to make meaningful posts ever again.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Quadzerkers definitely seems like one of those things that you do at most once. There's not exactly a lot of replay value there, you know?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Next year I'm doing a quadzerker run for sure.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Info Graph updated.

Looks like he fixed the pie graph having both numbers and percentages on it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Huzzah! posted:

Info Graph updated.

Looks like he fixed the pie graph having both numbers and percentages on it.

Not to mention fixing the Summoner's image to actually being a Summoner instead of a Time Mage. :v:

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I'm honestly rather surprised there were only 18 completed quadzerker parties, thought that'd be higher. That is something I'd do again - I think earth hammer underflow made it much easier. Though grinding for sandworm was still awful.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The earth hammer underflow only works on the SNES and PSX versions.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

ultrafilter posted:

The earth hammer underflow only works on the SNES and PSX versions.

Yep. And I was playing GBA. :negative:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
GBA bad

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Geez, and I stopped after a month. I was sure someone else would beat me!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

http://fourjobfiesta.com/speedrun.php

So this looks like fun. :getin:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Are You Faster Than A Dragondarch: The Contest

:getin:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I assume there will be different categories depending on what version you play since there are several bugs/features that will affect your final run time.

Also, "complitionists"?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I assume there will be different categories depending on what version you play since there are several bugs/features that will affect your final run time.

Also, "complitionists"?

Because they're going so fast that they've lit on fire. :coal:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Archenteron posted:

On that note, a contest! The rules are simple.

Run the speedrun. Post your times. I will donate $10 to a charity if you manage to beat Dragondarch's time (one donation per winner, which charity is winner's choice).

Out of all the winners, the one with the fastest time will also win a forums upgrade certificate.

Get running, goons.

Ninjaedit: "one donation per winner" means that if you do not beat DD's time, you can of course try again until you do.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Holy shot you're awesome. I was on the fence, now I'll do it

Do we also have to do all of the dungeons, weapons, and bonus bosses?

Edit: I ask this because I'm pretty sure DD had to do all of those.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 1, 2016

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Eh, I dunno. Maybe? I think I'll defer to Gilgabot / Revenantkioku regarding this: if Gilgabot accepts your time, so will I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Archenteron posted:

If this year is anything to say for myself, no. (I'm still plugging away at my party from when the fiesta ended, since I may as well)

• Locked thread