Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zolthorg
May 26, 2009

happy to see something new on the site actually happen because of patreon donations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RitzBlues
May 30, 2014
I wish I knew about this at the start of the month. I'd consider studying a NON DD run to know how to beat his time. I'll give it a shot if my schedule allows. I'm still new to all of the FFV jobs, but if what I've read is accurate, then these 4 classes are some of the most powerful classes that you can get in the run.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Mikl posted:

On that note, a contest! The rules are simple.

Run the speedrun. Post your times. I will donate $10 to a charity if you manage to beat Dragondarch's time (one donation per winner, which charity is winner's choice).

Out of all the winners, the one with the fastest time will also win a forums upgrade certificate.

Get running, goons.

Ninjaedit: "one donation per winner" means that if you do not beat DD's time, you can of course try again until you do.

I made a run and of the two people that have submitted to Gilgabot, I'm winning. :toot: The run if you are interested. Time was 06:42:57 without doing the world 3 dungeons and stuff.

Certainly not the best run that could be done, but still a solid effort I believe.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/793407417933438976

now everyone has more time to speedrun! :toot:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

There goes my easy win and all the sweet prizes from Gilgabot that surely exist.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Huzzah! posted:

I made a run and of the two people that have submitted to Gilgabot, I'm winning. :toot: The run if you are interested. Time was 06:42:57 without doing the world 3 dungeons and stuff.

Certainly not the best run that could be done, but still a solid effort I believe.

Congrats Huzzah! :toot:

Like I'd said, even though you didn't do any of the world 3 stuff, since Gilgabot accepted your time so will I.

For the record, I don't know exactly what Dragondarch's time was since I couldn't find it mentioned in the thread, but I found that eLmaGus won with a 6h39m time, and DD finished "a full 2 hours behind eLmaGus", so the time to beat is (rounding up) 8h40m. Huzzah!'s time fully qualifies :toot:

Huzzah!, please tell me which charity you'd like me to donate the $10 to. (One that accepts either credit cards or paypal please, doing bank transfers will likely be a huge pain in the rear end.)

Everyone else, please continue to run, since Gilgabot has seen fit to extend the speedrun period. (Please don't bankrupt me.)

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Mikl posted:

Huzzah!, please tell me which charity you'd like me to donate the $10 to. (One that accepts either credit cards or paypal please, doing bank transfers will likely be a huge pain in the rear end.)

How about Doctors Without Borders.

Edit - oh yeah, heres the video of the fiesta opening race. DDarch's time was 8:38:50.

Huzzah! fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 1, 2016

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Here you go:

Donation fulfilled :)

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Mikl posted:

Here you go:

Donation fulfilled :)

Cheers.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Doing my first ever FJF . I've played through V once, 15 years ago, and I know my way around this series and RPGs in general...
Drew white mage for the Wind crystal job. I hear I can lean on a freelancer or something, but I think I'm gonna just go 4 WMs and see for myself why this is considered so difficult to require a crutch.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
theres nothing in the early game that can threaten four white mages. its just takes forever to the next crystal because your damage output is garbage

also uh. you're a little out of season

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

fits posted:

theres nothing in the early game that can threaten four white mages. its just takes forever to the next crystal because your damage output is garbage

also uh. you're a little out of season

Good to know. Is there an item I can stock up on to drop some decent damage?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
once you get to the ship graveyard go south immediately over some stones to get a flail. it'll be you main source of damage pretty much until you get more classes

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

fits posted:

once you get to the ship graveyard go south immediately over some stones to get a flail. it'll be you main source of damage pretty much until you get more classes

Thank you!
I remember 25 years ago I would have my FFIV guys fight to the death, and somehow I figured out how to have Rosa win while still having everyone come full force, but I can't for the life of me remember how.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

Thank you!
I remember 25 years ago I would have my FFIV guys fight to the death, and somehow I figured out how to have Rosa win while still having everyone come full force, but I can't for the life of me remember how.

Cure

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
After you get air travel, go back to Tycoon and look for the Healing Staff. It casts Cura on a target for free.

Also, good luck. That one flail is your main offense until your second job. Protect will be invaluable against bosses. The second woman boss is vulnerable to Silence.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks! I really appreciate all this help

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

fits posted:

Glad you mentioned this. That was hard to find and i wouldn't have looked hard enough had I not konwn.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Alright, made it through water with four white mages. MAn, it is hard for a single enemy to kill four white mages. My one thing was I kept misclicking and hitting the water crystal boss with the cura staff, must've done it 5 times. Still killed him, though.

Time to roll up my second job... I'm super excited... I hope I get something fun like summoner!

Edit: Rolled up a summoner!

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
:getin:

summoner is probably the single best group damage class in the game. congrats on rolling the rest of the game

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks. I hope it's not too easy though, I want to have to come up with weird strategies for some bosses.

Wow summoner is yoked, just smashed my way through the fire crystal. Just missed three chests (esuna, lightning scroll, and an elixir)

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Thanks. I hope it's not too easy though, I want to have to come up with weird strategies for some bosses.

Wow summoner is yoked, just smashed my way through the fire crystal. Just missed three chests (esuna, lightning scroll, and an elixir)

Unfortunately Summoner will carry you through most of the game. Their one weakness is being a squishy Mage with no healing, and you have white mages to do that. A lot of the Four Job Fiesta difficulty is getting reliable offense and healing. Most combinations only have one or the other, some have neither. You have both. Summoner does kinda taper off mid game, but by the end it skyrockets back to juggernaut status. There will be a couple fights that might give you trouble, but Summoner/White Mage can carry you through basically the whole game even if you end up with like Dancer/Geomancer as your other two classes.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yeah, sometimes you're just gonna roll a set that destroys everything. Sometimes you're going to roll a set that's frustratingly useless. That's why the official season lasts months and encourages multiple runs! :)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Elemental rods are your friend. They buff damage done by that element and you can break them by using them as an item to cast that rod's -aga spell.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

AlphaKretin posted:

Yeah, sometimes you're just gonna roll a set that destroys everything. Sometimes you're going to roll a set that's frustratingly useless. That's why the official season lasts months and encourages multiple runs! :)

Not to mention they have the Job Fair to remove overpowered or lovely classes, or classes that you've gotten like 20 times already and just can't stand the idea of playing them again.

I've had more than a few of those (I got assigned Blue Mage as the first job for like half my runs in the first two years), and the Job Fair was nice for that.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I rolled beastmaster for 3rd job. Nice, because this is a class I would never play by my own choosing, but forcing myself to learn it makes me see the intereesting and fun stuff in it.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
So I'm on Galuf's world and I go to this ancient castle. There's some yoked out dragon. I control him with the beastmaster, and then just have monster blaze himself five times to get like 1/2 a level's worth of experience. Spent about 40 minutes and yoked my guys up 8 levels each

On the one hand, I'm thrilled I was forced to try beastmaster, as I never would have figured out this trick had I not been just screwing around with him. On the other hand... why did they put such a potent level-up trick this early in the game?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Welcome to Final Fantasy V.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I need help, please
I'm in the final castle/rift area. Just grinding, I think I need about 5 levels to hand neo-ex. So I'm just grinding

But I'm running low on tents/cabins, so I want to buy more but I can't leave this final area. I go back until I'm in a library with three books I can open/close, but I can't seem to go back any further.

I have summoner, white mage, beastmaster, and samurai

Edit: Figured it out

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 9, 2016

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I need help, please
I'm in the final castle/rift area. Just grinding, I think I need about 5 levels to hand neo-ex. So I'm just grinding

But I'm running low on tents/cabins, so I want to buy more but I can't leave this final area. I go back until I'm in a library with three books I can open/close, but I can't seem to go back any further.

I have summoner, white mage, beastmaster, and samurai

Edit: Figured it out

You only need like 1500HP to not eat a full wipe on the final boss, 750 with shell. Don't worry too much about HP grinding unless you are getting smashed and can't just summon your way to victory. If you are grinding to master everyone's jobs, I understand, I'm the same way, but I end up doing it in world 2 like an idiot.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 9, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I am hella PEEVED posted:

You only need like 1500HP to not eat a full wipe on the final boss, 750 with shell. Don't worry too much about HP grinding unless you are getting smashed and can't just summon your way to victory. If you are grinding to master everyone's jobs, I understand, I'm the same way, but I end up doing it in world 2 like an idiot.
Shell and three mass damage options, definitely shouldn't need to grind with that party.

(Two mass damage options if you hate !Catch, but Zeninage is as good as Summon on the non-mages.)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Oh okay I only spend 1.5 hours on that iron giant section and leveled everyone up from ~41-46. Was going to get to 50, but I'll take your advice and just try it.

Thanks!

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
with that party you could have beat in the mid 20s. you'll be fine :yeah:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Worth looking into the specific way to cheese one of the parts dead - you won't stumble into it by accident - if you don't mind spoilers.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

fits posted:

with that party you could have beat in the mid 20s. you'll be fine :yeah:

I guess I don't get what the strategy should be, because I've tried 10 times now and never come close.

I have Summoner with white ability, both maxed out
Samurai with white, maxed out
Samurai with summon, maxed out
White mage with summon, maxed out

I pretty much have been trying to zeninage with the two samurai while I recover and protect with the summoner/mage, casting bahamut when not necessary. Feels like I'm hanging pretty even with him But at some point in the battle they grand cross me over and over and I can't recover from that fast enough, ever, even when devoting all four characters to fixing the GC afflcitions. What am I missing? The closest I've got is every enemy to about half hp before I just can't recover from the GC fast enough.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Syldra with Air Knives equipped should do a lot more damage than Zenigage, I'd imagine. If the Samurai with !White doesn't need to heal, Holy the Grand Cross section (the one in the top-center with the lion head) to boost the damage some more. This section will "reset" its battle pattern as it loses HP so if you're lucky you might blitz it down enough for it to skip some Grand Cross phases. If you're really desperate you can try for a Dragon Whisker since the Grand Cross part is considered a dragon enemy, but since that requires trying to steal from Shinryu for the easier path it's not gonna be worth the effort.

Don't forget any buffs you put up during the Exdeath fight carry over to Neo, so sticking your Shells up during then will make your life easier if you haven't been already.

And a couple more general tips which I'll spoil in case you don't want to see them.

If you picked up the Magic Lamp, you can summon Odin with it to instantly kill the part that casts black magic. One less section to worry about! Note this does NOT work for !Summon Odin, only the part from the lamp.

Try not to leave only one part alive, as then Neo goes crazy and starts getting nasty double-turns. If there's two parts left, try to kill them at the same time, which should be easy enough with !Zenigage and !Summon. The HP of each part ranges from 50k to 60k.

Good luck!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Get the Magic Lamp, and summon Odin from it. It'll instantly kill one of the four pieces of NED. This doesn't work with normal summon Odin because he uses Gungnir instead.

If you haven't outfitted your entire party with Hermes Sandals (you can by them in the Phantom Village), you should go and do that immediately because it's the best accessory you can have for the fight. You get permanent Haste which has the side effect of blocking several nasty statuses.

Summon Golem throughout the fight, he'll block physical attacks for your party (one of the four parts exclusively uses physical attacks) and use Shell to halve the damage from Almagest. With Curaga you should be able to keep up with NED's damage output.

For damage, give your Summoner the Magus Rod or an Air Knife to boost their Air damage and summon Syldra. If you haven't found Syldra you can get her at the pirate's lair from way at the beginning of the game. It's the highest damage a summoner can output without the help of a Chemist.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Holy crap those hermes sandals. I just equipped 2 of my party with them (because that's all i had at my pre-exdeath save point) and I blew through him with only one heal.

That's crazy.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I did it! This was fun. Look forward to trying sometime with harder jobs

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

If you've got any requests for the next run now is the time to voice them I guess.

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/826502561230368773

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hi, dead thread. A couple of times lately I've seen people asking about the mobile port of FFV, and I warn them off with vague references to the stupid poo poo Matrix Software did to bosses, but I can never remember the exact details. Did anyone ever compile a list of all the changes? I figure this is the best place to ask since a lot of it was found over the course of this latest fiesta.

• Locked thread