Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Verranicus posted:

If you're not strong willed enough not to spend real money then maybe you should just not play mobile games. Besides, if they didn't have cash shops to spear whales with the games would probably not even exist and those of us who don't blow entire paychecks on funbux wouldn't get to play at all. Seriously, calm down, it's not like anyone considers these real video games. They're time wasters you play for like 15-20 minutes a day on your lunch break or on the shitter.

I don't think its ethical or effective to design games that are maintained entirely by the weak will of people with addictive personalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.
I'm trying to figure out how to best spend my lapis. What are the banners people are talking about? Do the characters shown in the "Featured Summon" picture have a bonus chance of appearing or something?

e: 079,009,690 is my id.

WarpZealot fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 23, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Verranicus posted:

If you're not strong willed enough not to spend real money then maybe you should just not play mobile games. Besides, if they didn't have cash shops to spear whales with the games would probably not even exist and those of us who don't blow entire paychecks on funbux wouldn't get to play at all. Seriously, calm down, it's not like anyone considers these real video games. They're time wasters you play for like 15-20 minutes a day on your lunch break or on the shitter.

Are you posting from 2007 or something? While gacha-style games rely in no small way on people's impulses similar to gambling and other vices, mobile games are absolutely considered "real video games" just like Tetris was in the 80s even though you could play for a few minutes at a time and didn't have to keep feeding it money to do so.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

I don't think its ethical or effective to design forums that are maintained entirely by the weak will of shitposters with addictive personalities.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

WarpZealot posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to best spend my lapis. What are the banners people are talking about? Do the characters shown in the "Featured Summon" picture have a bonus chance of appearing or something?

e: 079,009,690 is my id.

Right now there's no special rate boost for drawing premium characters. Ideally you should save your lapis until there is one, and it'll be announced with a banner indicating who gets boosted. Alternatively you could spend some lapis now to increase your Friends slots and get a ton of Friend Points daily, helping you fill out your squad with the freebie summons. You'll eventually make most of the lapis back due to the achievement rewards (tier 3 rewards are always 500 lapis).

All right I've opened some slots again. ID is 505 583 358.

Eddain fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 23, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, for those that don't know, go to the Home section, open menu, and check Trophies and Rewards for a bunch of stuff.
Speaking of which, got a bunch of questions:

I should just use magicite/megacite and max out espers right? Megacite doesn't come up in any recipes does it?
So, there's no use for friend points other than summoning stuff right? Should just splurge them all away?
Does the game hitch whenever you open the skills menu for everyone?

And man I wish there was an auto limit button. Only 1439 more Firion Limits to go before it levels up!
EDIT: Also Lasswell is a really stupid name.

HGH fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 23, 2016

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
How do I do this .apk thing? I want to give this a shot. Is it just down load and run it is do I need some other program?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

HGH posted:

1) I should just use magicite/megacite and max out espers right? Megacite doesn't come up in any recipes does it?
2) So, there's no use for friend points other than summoning stuff right? Should just splurge them all away?
3) Does the game hitch whenever you open the skills menu for everyone?

And man I wish there was an auto limit button. Only 1439 more Firion Limits to go before it levels up!
EDIT: Also Lasswell is a really stupid name.

1) Use the ones that say there's a x1.5 Bonus above them to get the best bang for your buck. Also, save 25 Magicite Shards (the small black ones), because there's a Quest in Lodin that requires them.
2) That's all Friend Points are for, yes.
3) You mean in battle? Yeah, it has kind of poor performance. About the best you can do is go to Menu > Options, scroll down to Battle Effects, and disable Esper Effects and Battle Effects. I haven't tried disabling Background Effects, so that might help, too. It still has issues, but combat seems to go better...

Also, I love how they're inconsistent with what the call Summons: Eidolon? Esper? Hell, we don't know which it is! :v:

Dragongem posted:

How do I do this .apk thing? I want to give this a shot. Is it just down load and run it is do I need some other program?

First and foremost, you need to enable Sideloading on your device. Go to Settings > Security, and scroll down to Unknown Sources, and enable it. Say Yes when it asks if you want to do it. Then, just download the APK to your device, and tap on it. It will give you the option to install it. Once it's done, tap Close, not Open. For whatever reason, a lot of apps tend to not work right if you open them from that dialogue.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
If you're on Android phone, just download it, open the download folder and click it, and it'll ask to install.

I found a Minituar while exploring (great name by the way), seems it's a rare encounter that drops one of the ingredients necessary for creating Keys. The other (Fine Alcryst) can be gotten during forging Abilities so give that a few tries (plus it contributes to a trophy).

EDIT: Thanks for the answers Kheldarn!
My problem is basically when pulling out the Skills menu, the game freezes for 2 to 3 seconds. So basically if I want to use 5 Limit Bursts, I'm forced to wait 10 or so seconds as every single character's menu freezes before I can choose to use Limits. I'll try disabling battle effects and see if that helps, but I've actually no problem at all with in battle graphics.
The other weird freezing issues comes during certain dialogues, where some will come out extremely slow, as if the whole game was lagging. If I try to advance those by tapping, I'll usually end up skipping to the next dialogue box, which oddly has its text come out at normal speed.

HGH fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 23, 2016

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Yay! I made this work.

242,162,007 is my friend code.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CrashCat posted:

Well the OP before that said they were pretty generous with the free premium currency and the first roll doesn't really matter that much? I get where you're coming from but if it's not one of those games where your first freebie is the only good character you're ever gonna get, then there's nothing to worry about

I really don't think it is, compared to something like Seven Knights, sure you get 100 per rank up but those slow down quickly, you get 100 per stage clear but thats a 1 time deal. 50 Per day for doing all your dailies that's 10 days for a single summon, that is not at all generous compared to just about any other of these games, hell even the daily log in rewards are super weak.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Evil Fluffy posted:

Are you posting from 2007 or something? While gacha-style games rely in no small way on people's impulses similar to gambling and other vices, mobile games are absolutely considered "real video games" just like Tetris was in the 80s even though you could play for a few minutes at a time and didn't have to keep feeding it money to do so.

I consider a single player mobile game like some of the ports of older S-E RPGs as real games, or something like Lone Wolf. All of these free games where you're expected to log in once per day to get your daily reward, get random rewards that encourage you to pay real money and poo poo though? It's a fun little time wasting Facebook thing, but not a real game. I'm not saying it's bad because I wasted a few months on poo poo like Brave Frontier, but I think people who get mad over a game like this being freemium are hilarious.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ok so I wasn't going to try to mess with rerolling but the first character I got was Rizer, a 1-silver-star character. Should I reconsider re-rolling? I haven't connected my Facebook account yet.

The character you get when the Visions thing is first explained to you is the one I'd be re-rolling on, right? Or is that just a tutorial thing and I'll get to roll on a real character a bit later?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
You get a 1 star from the summon demo. Once you rack up 500 lapis you can do your real roll. That happens once you clear the forest. Keep in mind you can hit pause and skip cutscenes.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

socialsecurity posted:

I really don't think it is, compared to something like Seven Knights, sure you get 100 per rank up but those slow down quickly, you get 100 per stage clear but thats a 1 time deal. 50 Per day for doing all your dailies that's 10 days for a single summon, that is not at all generous compared to just about any other of these games, hell even the daily log in rewards are super weak.
That does sound pretty lousy. I got that Tales of Link game and they were practically making GBS threads currency at me, during the first month I had at least enough for a couple 10-pulls. Of course I got bored and deleted it but that's why I don't pay for these games

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

HGH posted:

My problem is basically when pulling out the Skills menu, the game freezes for 2 to 3 seconds. So basically if I want to use 5 Limit Bursts, I'm forced to wait 10 or so seconds as every single character's menu freezes before I can choose to use Limits. I'll try disabling battle effects and see if that helps, but I've actually no problem at all with in battle graphics.
The other weird freezing issues comes during certain dialogues, where some will come out extremely slow, as if the whole game was lagging. If I try to advance those by tapping, I'll usually end up skipping to the next dialogue box, which oddly has its text come out at normal speed.

Wait until you borrow my Zidane, and use his Meo Twister. You might get some battle lag then...

And yeah, the text is still kind of an issue. We're currently on the second release of the Sweedish verison. On the first, all the banter between characters at the end of combat was repeated.

If it's a cutscene, and you miss some text, you can exit the app, and then restart. You'll be back at the start of the cutscene. That's about all you can do, though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ok I can live with this =). Not sure how useful he actually is but Edgar :swoon:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 23, 2016

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Needed another potty-pastime. In as 341 544 085.

Adding a bunch of you chaps!

Is it worth hoarding up friend points or just splooge them on the multi draw when you get 1000?

vvv Cheers!

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 23, 2016

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Ok I can live with this =). Not sure how useful he actually is but Edgar :swoon:

Edgar is good. He learns Bio-Blast, the most reliable Poison skill in the game.

Moogle posted:

Is it worth hoarding up friend points or just splooge them on the multi draw when you get 1000?

Spend 'em however you like. Just know that 10 is the max you can do via FP, while 11 is the max for Lapis.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So I've got the base Rain and Lasswell maxed, and their Limit Bursts just leveled up. Do you think it's worth it to keep them like this to level up the Limit Bursts faster, or should I just give up on that and Awaken them?

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I got a 3* red mage from my lapis. RIP. I was gonna mess with rerolling but it's on my phone and sounds like it's hard to do!

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 23, 2016

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Just started this. Added everyone in the thread so far.

Player ID: 722 279 946

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

So I just found out you can edit the text that shows next to your leader when people click your profile. "Goons ruin everything" should help people realize I'm not some random pub, it's helpful to pick out goons from the chaff with my currently limited number of friends slots

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hmm... It seems FB Friends don't count against your Friends List limit. I'm sitting at 23/25, but I have my Dummy Account listed when I have to choose someone to take along. I couldn't find it anywhere in my Friends List to remove it. Then I checked Facebook Invite, and there's my Dummy Account.

Facebook friends seems to have a limit of 50, and you get Lapis for having X Number of them: 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300, in incriments of 10 FB Friends (10, 20, 30, 40, and 50)...

thehoodie posted:

Just started this. Added everyone in the thread so far.

Player ID: 722 279 946

I didn't see one from you, so I sent you one.

WebDO posted:

So I just found out you can edit the text that shows next to your leader when people click your profile. "Goons ruin everything" should help people realize I'm not some random pub, it's helpful to pick out goons from the chaff with my currently limited number of friends slots

Yeah, should have mentioned this before.

To change your message, tap Friends > Send Gifts. Tap on the icon in the thought bubble to change what you get when Friends send you gifts, tap in the area on the right side to change your message.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I changed mine to one of Shadow's lines and I'll probably do the same if I change leaders.

I just got a dupe Shadow. The right way to do it is to hold onto and use both, right? Build up Trust and then merge them?

Also, what the heck is Star Quartz for?

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 23, 2016

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Echophonic posted:

I changed mine to one of Shadow's lines and I'll probably do the same if I change leaders.

I just got a dupe Shadow. The right way to do it is to hold onto and use both, right? Build up Trust and then merge them?

Also, what the heck is Star Quartz for?

Star Quartz is like a collectible item. There's usually one hidden in every Exploration map and they're also given out as quest rewards and stuff. You turn them in later on for prizes.

Kheldarn posted:

To change your message, tap Friends > Send Gifts. Tap on the icon in the thought bubble to change what you get when Friends send you gifts, tap in the area on the right side to change your message.

There's only a few gifts you'd want right now. Some quests for ask for a certain number of elemental crystals. Gifts are the fastest way to get them since their drop rate is kinda low. The other major gift is Friend Points so you can summon more. Also, starting from today's server refresh until the 27th, we're supposed to get 1000 FP a day. Hope you guys get Biggs/Wedge!

Eddain fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 23, 2016

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Guess I'll add this alongside FFRK and KHCX when it comes out.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
So is the roster entirely Final Fantasy characters, or do they toss in a few from their other games as well?

What I'm saying is that I want Brave Fencer Musashi as my leader.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

HGH posted:

I figured out what causes this: The more skills a Unit has, the longer it takes for the game to populate the menu, thus slowing things down when you go to use a Skill or Limit Burst.

Neurolimal posted:

So is the roster entirely Final Fantasy characters, or do they toss in a few from their other games as well?

What I'm saying is that I want Brave Fencer Musashi as my leader.

Well, some characters are new for the game, and Japan has already had a crossover with Brave Frontier. They also added Lightning, and characters from FFT. So far, the only Squeenix game I know of that they added characters from that isn't a Final Fantasy title is Secret Of Mana, where they added the Boy, Girl, and Sprite as units.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I'm surprised they haven't had FF7 characters yet. Cloud is typically the first character everyone gets in any Square-Enix mobile game.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Needs more Chrono Trigger characters.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mylan posted:

Needs more Chrono Trigger characters.

drat right. Imagine how badass the crew would look in this art style.

Also, I just got Ifrit and I guess that's it for content now? Just leveling up dudes and making new gear?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mylan posted:

Needs more Chrono Trigger Cross characters.

C'mon Poshul!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

CaptainScraps posted:

C'mon Poshul!

You misspelled Lynx :colbert:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Chrono Cross could be a gacha in and of itself.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kemix posted:

You misspelled Lynx :colbert:

Fargo/Mojo/Skelly 4 lyfe

all the characters were interchangeable in that game for the most part as far as gameplay but drat if there aren't a bunch of ridiculous/amazing character designs

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'd settle for Nikki or Janice. Or any of the Dragon Knights.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Now I'm dreaming of a suikoden gacha game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

CaptainScraps posted:

Now I'm dreaming of a suikoden gacha game.

Yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

The fact that someone has posted a long intricate method of rerolling has told me everything I need to know about this game. This kind of poo poo is poisonous and I hope that anyone who gets whaled reevaluates their life on a fundamental level.

hold the door

• Locked thread