Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shark Tower posted:

Also when I was installing the new version, I noticed their terms & agreements thing would sloooooowly pan down from the top, and wouldn't let you manually scroll through it, so you can bet they're hiding some sort of shifty business at the bottom like 'we'll steal everything on your computer if you agree to our terms kthx'.

Your lenna needs way more hp. Go back and read EFluffy's posts. He pretty much said exactly the same things as you, up until he started picking up more surviveability gear. Then suddenly, it became possible to beat her.

It also takes more luck even with the better gear since Rune + 2x AOE = you are already dead. Even just one AOE and some focused single target hits will murder most non-tank units even when guarding. It's giving you the authentic Brave Frontier Trial 003 experience! :confuoot:

They can always do the force restart thing too. Maybe Gumi will take action for it but unless they actively track close vs crash somehow, and closely track combat as well I doubt they'd have the information to safely take action without risking bans against people suffering their bugs.

Maxwell without ever getting her Rune buff would be comically easy to deal with because Full Break + Focus + Omni-veil makes her do pathetic amounts of damage, and only the turns where she uses Rune are truly dangerous as long as you immediately dispel it and reapply full break. Even Endless only did 1k or so to everyone when they guarded through it, and maybe 2-2.5k to the CoD buddy I had push her over the edge (and they had Diablos on just like mine did).

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The next trial should be Antenolla since it seems unlikely Gumi would go out of order.

I thought they already did, thought that Brachiosaur came before Intangir for JP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KataraniSword posted:

I thought they already did, thought that Brachiosaur came before Intangir for JP.

The Farplane and Vortex stuff are two separate branches IIRC, and go something like:

Farplane: White Dragon, Demon Chimera, Brachiosaur...?
Vortex: Intangir, Great Demon, Antenolla...etc.

If they went out of order then we'd get something like 2-headed dragon instead of Antenolla. The Grand Helm is amazing but I want that mace for CoD. Later vortex stuff can get stupidly hard (ie: Gilgamesh and Ultros+Chupon) but their rewards can be on par with or better than most TMs. Hell, the Grand Helm is better than most TMs. I'm not even sure what sort of TM helms exist. I can only thing of things like hats and hoods.

e: To give an idea of how good later rewards become, here's Ultros and Chupon's stuff that we'll probably see in 6 or so months I guess:

First Clear Reward: Hero's Shield - +48 DEF and +20% all elemental resistances (and the usual 100 lapis I think)

Star rewards:
Libra the enemy: Trust Moogle (10%)
Use a Limit Break: Rod Mastery materia (50% mag when using a rod)
Use 5 or less units: Some skil materia that gives the user a 7 hit 180% damage wind/water magic attack with 25% mind ignore and 100% infliction rate for all status but can only apply up to 3 of them at once. :v:

Rod Mastery is awesome for a magic user but that skill materia is outright insane. I'm not sure if it's AOE or single target but it's basically Bad Breath.

e: I think one of Gilgamesh's rewards is the Genji Blade, a 107 atk katana.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 19, 2016

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Farplane and Vortex stuff are two separate branches IIRC, and go something like:

Farplane: White Dragon, Demon Chimera, Brachiosaur...?
Vortex: Intangir, Great Demon, Antenolla...etc.

If they went out of order then we'd get something like 2-headed dragon instead of Antenolla. The Grand Helm is amazing but I want that mace for CoD. Later vortex stuff can get stupidly hard (ie: Gilgamesh and Ultros+Chupon) but their rewards can be on par with or better than most TMs. Hell, the Grand Helm is better than most TMs. I'm not even sure what sort of TM helms exist. I can only thing of things like hats and hoods.

Yeah, I love my CoD but I never pulled a Locke and I was brand new when the Lunar Pestle came out so she has a terrible weapon. Would love the mace.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Antonella would be good because it would allow me to build a second CoD for stupid dungeon purposes.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone beaten the event without their own CoD or Elza or other crazy barrage unit? The only 6* dps I have is Dracwell but he doesn't help much. My other 6*s are Refia and Cecil, which certainly are needed, but when they're the only 2 left standing it doesn't matter.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

KDdidit posted:

Has anyone beaten the event without their own CoD or Elza or other crazy barrage unit? The only 6* dps I have is Dracwell but he doesn't help much. My other 6*s are Refia and Cecil, which certainly are needed, but when they're the only 2 left standing it doesn't matter.

CoD helps a lot, as does any unit with DW. I haven't seen a clear without at least CoD, even from people that went healer/tank/tank/DPS. She's MVP for the BF event because of how versatile she is while still dealing good damage. My one lonely clear was double CoD, for instance.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I can always borrow a good CoD but it hasn't been enough without having my own, sadly.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I beat Maxwell the first day she came out with Luneth, CoD, Cecil, WoL and Lenna plus a beastly Luneth friend with moonblade. Actually unlocking her was a whole different beast though. I wanted to level up Refia but stopped short of 100 due to impatience. If I had, I probably could've ressed everyone for the dark resistance mission but meh, maybe later. Refia definitely helped a ton though, I can see it being a cakewalk if she had dualcast. As it was, I had to heal with her or Cecil or both almost every turn. That almost screwed me since I put diabolos on Cecil but I only got to summon on the very last turn since Cecil was always focusing or healing or tossing elixirs/ethers around.

A lot of effort for a character stuck at 5* but it was nice to have a challenge at least. I actually had to level up my best dudes and go in with a strategy, planning out every turn.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

KDdidit posted:

Beat it with Lightning, Luneth, Cecil, Warrior of Light, Refia, and a friend CoD. WoL was on full break duty and elixir/ether duty. Refia was Curajaing the whole time with Cecil support. CoD alternated omniveil and barrage. Just had to keep the DPS chipping away while always topping off health and mana. Summoned Diablos a little over halfway, I think I got lucky on the RNG with orbs or something.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 19, 2016

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Beat it with CoD, Elza, a lvl 78 5* Cecil, Vaan, Lenna and a friend CoD.

Had to Save scum every round to guarantee I was getting orbs, and even then I was able to cast it when she had 5% health.

What a terrible mission. Glad I don't care about the other bonuses.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did the title of this thread have a car crash

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kronikle posted:

Doesn't Maxwell always use her turn 4 ability on that turn? Are you saying you can save scum to get her to not use that ability?

Yeah, every time you save scum it pushes that ability back further, plus if she does use it you can just force close before her turn ends and there's a strong chance she won't use it. The run I scummed all of my turns to max out my esper gauge I don't think she ended up even trying the ability.

Honestly people having trouble getting the orbs for the esper or limit break gauge just save scum your own turns, it's a huge difference and is only minorly cheating the stupid bullshit rng in the first place. There's no reason to tempt fate and add extra rounds to potentially lose the fight, and you can fill up some of those gauges in 2-3 turns honestly.

edit: I don't think there's any realistic way for them to punish anyone for doing this but I guess try at your own risk. I beat her legitimately already this morning before i got frustrated with the game giving me zero esper gauge even with perfect chaining.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 19, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Do you just force quit before all attacks go through? Also how many orbs is a good thing to aim for, four per round?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah, force quit before the attacks finish. i actually specifically took a friend cod with dual wield to make it easier since it takes her about a thousand years to finish her barrage and you'll know before its over whether you got a decent boost to the gauge. i dont know whats a good amount to shoot for for you, but i just based it on the average damage i was doing per round. just make sure that you've got over half the gauge before you drop maxwell to 50% hp to be absolutely sure, but i managed to fill the gauge in three rounds

you actually have a higher chance to get orbs from chains and i think even more from sparks but this fight isnt necessarily one where you might have the wiggle room to be chaining attakcs.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

rabidsquid posted:

you actually have a higher chance to get orbs from chains and i think even more from sparks but this fight isnt necessarily one where you might have the wiggle room to be chaining attakcs.

Unless you're going completely insane and YOLOing chainsaws.

I wonder if that's actually a valid tactic for getting Diabolos out. You'd need to waste two of your slots on a 4* max unit, though...

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I'm still a relatively new player, so my current group is:
4* Cyan
3* Duane
3* Ludmille
4* Refia
3* Arc

I know Refia & Arc are regarded kinda as the best white/black mages, so they'll stay, and Ludmille has Dualcast TM. But should I look to replace Cyan and/or Duane?

Here's the rest of my roster:

4*
Tilith
Miyuki

3*
Maria
Ingus
Vivi
Sabin
Kain
Fran
Bedile
Kenyu
Russell
Hayate
Lani
Charlotte
Alma

And for s&g's, 2&1*
Rain, Lasswell, Leah, Liza, Wedge, Biggs, Rizer, Eldin, Baurg, Gimlee, Maxell

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Blast of Confetti posted:

Did the title of this thread have a car crash

Yeah a lot of outdated stuff and OP doesn't seem to be around anymore.

Anyone volunteering to create a new thread with uptodate infos and a fresh title? We could collect some ideas first...

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'd swap out Cyan and Duane for Kain and Charlotte. Kain does decent damage with his jump as long as he has a spear and Charlotte is a good but not great tank.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yea, bring in Kain and Charlotte over the others like Tagichatn said. Kain's funky, but we do have a 62 ATK spear from the current event you can put on him, and he hits decently hard, if delayed damage.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Orgophlax posted:

I'm still a relatively new player, so my current group is:
4* Cyan
3* Duane
3* Ludmille
4* Refia
3* Arc

I know Refia & Arc are regarded kinda as the best white/black mages, so they'll stay, and Ludmille has Dualcast TM. But should I look to replace Cyan and/or Duane?

Run with:

Refia - heal
Arc - damage
Ignus - damage and full break
Charlotte - tank
Kain - damage, probably the first person you'll replace for better damage

Save all your Lapis because the current banners kinda suck. If we get the FF5 banner you can pull on that and hope for Exdeath/Bartz and maybe Gilgamesh if you get lucky. Tilith will also be better than Refia in a few ways when we get her 6* form but that'll probably be a few months if Gumi doesn't break something and give it to us early.

e: Farm the 15 energy cactuar dunes level for the rest of the weekend as well so you can put levels in to characters. Focus on Refia and Arc/Ignus first IMO.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I'd even say to run Hayate or Vivi over Charlotte for most content. I didn't need a tank until I got to the endgame. You just need Refia to heal off the damage, nothing really in the game hits hard enough to justify running a tank until get to the bonus challenge content stuff.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

One-shot Maxwell with all the achievements, was easier than I expected but I did burn through some Elixirs.

Elza, CoD, Lenna, Delita, Agrias, with Cecil friend since mine's not ready. I figured I would have to max out my Tilith to make it work but a good Cecil popped up on friends so figured I would give it a go.

I don't mind having some content that's relatively hard; is it the time-limited part that's making people cry about it?

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man
Almost got my first TM!

Fiss
Jul 20, 2009
One thing to note for Maxwell is that most of her attacks are magic based so focus will do more to mitigate her damage than cheer. Also if you have a Ramza use his magic break since his is 40% vs the 30% from full break.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Welp, just blew through 30 NRG trying to TM grind 4 Lunas so that I could finally put Barrage on DK Cecil and make him a decent attack unit.

Got 0.3% across two units. :shepicide:

gently caress this game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Victis posted:

One-shot Maxwell with all the achievements, was easier than I expected but I did burn through some Elixirs.

Elza, CoD, Lenna, Delita, Agrias, with Cecil friend since mine's not ready. I figured I would have to max out my Tilith to make it work but a good Cecil popped up on friends so figured I would give it a go.

I don't mind having some content that's relatively hard; is it the time-limited part that's making people cry about it?

Post your strat and equipment.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

Kronikle posted:

Doesn't Maxwell always use her turn 4 ability on that turn? Are you saying you can save scum to get her to not use that ability?

I thought I read a page or two back that someone did this and it reset the RNG so he wouldn't? Thus the ? in the response because I wasn't 100% sure.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Save scummed my way to a win + summon/Maxwell. Took forever and it was still touch and go at the end but for someone with no TMs and no decent damage unit other than Dracwell, I'll take it. Took Cecil/Drac/Agrias/Lenna/Refia/friend CoD. Used 3 Phoenix downs but nothing else.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Dias posted:

Post your strat and equipment.

F2P player, only TM that I have that's useful was Doublehand since I've never pulled a Zidane :negative:

Cecil - Provoke, Curajas, Focus if Delita couldn't use Meditate, LB when it was up
Lenna loaded up with 2xHP15, 2xmuscle belt, 2xGuardian materias - Cheer, Curajas
Delita - mostly there as a beefy 6* - Meditate, item user, barrage
Agrias - had the good tank gear - Fullbreaker, items, autoattack
Elza with doublehand, her unique materia, atk 10, destroyer - just autoattacked until it was go time then Madness Rush
CoD with Pestle, other destroyer - there for barrage and Omniveil, Call of the Void when it was go time

Brought some Holy Torches as items, everyone was loaded up with HP10s or Defense10 materias in every other slot

I did cheese the very last turn before the kill because they killed someone so I guess at the end of the day I'm a dirty cheater but getting Diabolos off wasn't the problem if I had just wanted Maxwell.

Refia or Tilith (I have both just not levelled) I think would have made it much easier in different ways

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
gently caress you, you stupid light bitch, I finally caught you. Had to reset cheat like a motherfucker and rely on beast CoD (dunno whose it was) but I'm done, gently caress 10k Karma, I'm OUT.

Victis posted:

F2P player, only TM that I have that's useful was Doublehand since I've never pulled a Zidane :negative:

Cecil - Provoke, Curajas, Focus if Delita couldn't use Meditate, LB when it was up
Lenna loaded up with 2xHP15, 2xmuscle belt, 2xGuardian materias - Cheer, Curajas
Delita - mostly there as a beefy 6* - Meditate, item user, barrage
Agrias - had the good tank gear - Fullbreaker, items, autoattack
Elza with doublehand, her unique materia, atk 10, destroyer - just autoattacked until it was go time then Madness Rush
CoD with Pestle, other destroyer - there for barrage and Omniveil, Call of the Void when it was go time

Brought some Holy Torches as items, everyone was loaded up with HP10s or Defense10 materias in every other slot

I did cheese the very last turn before the kill because they killed someone so I guess at the end of the day I'm a dirty cheater but getting Diabolos off wasn't the problem if I had just wanted Maxwell.

Refia or Tilith (I have both just not levelled) I think would have made it much easier in different ways

I think you need to have a swole as gently caress healer for this event, which isn't really something any other event ever needed. Delita instead of Luneth (who's apparently made of paper despite having 4k HP) probably helped too, Luneth was surprisingly useless for a 6*.

Dias fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 19, 2016

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
I thought I had a decent enough team, but the Rune+Sacred Song combo was too brutal to reliably survive even while guarding, and there's still Destiny/Meteor RNG bullshit to deal with, so I ended up abusing the restarting glitch to avoid Rune completely.
As far as I can tell, Rune+Sacred Song is guaranteed every 4 turns barring a higher priority threshold skill (ie Resurrection and Revival), but the restarting glitch simply stops her from using her combo at all. She seems to replace Rune and Sacred Song with random attacks, including Genesis, so you can still take a load of damage, but its still loads easier.

Surprised nobody linked this yet, but for anyone still having issues this should help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYISHjsVhkg

Its a bit sketchy at the end, but cunning abuse of Maxwell's threshold skills makes it doable.
Also hot tip: You can buy Holy Torches, your actual healers probably have way better things to do than cast Dispel. (at least mine certainly did)

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Dias posted:

I think you need to have a swole as gently caress healer for this event, which isn't really something any other event ever needed. Delita instead of Luneth (who's apparently made of paper despite having 4k HP) probably helped too, Luneth was surprisingly useless for a 6*.

Yea, my Dualcast Refia was a goddess for fighting Maxwell, at least for the Evoking and Limit Breaking bits. Very clearly the most important piece of the puzzle, as my tanks and damage dealers just did their things as usual.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dias posted:

gently caress you, you stupid light bitch, I finally caught you. Had to reset cheat like a motherfucker and rely on beast CoD (dunno whose it was) but I'm done, gently caress 10k Karma, I'm OUT.

A 5* healer loaded for max durability works but you are more susceptible to bad luck. Bad enough luck will still wreck a tanky Refia too though.

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax

Trilin posted:

I thought I had a decent enough team, but the Rune+Sacred Song combo was too brutal to reliably survive even while guarding, and there's still Destiny/Meteor RNG bullshit to deal with, so I ended up abusing the restarting glitch to avoid Rune completely.
As far as I can tell, Rune+Sacred Song is guaranteed every 4 turns barring a higher priority threshold skill (ie Resurrection and Revival), but the restarting glitch simply stops her from using her combo at all. She seems to replace Rune and Sacred Song with random attacks, including Genesis, so you can still take a load of damage, but its still loads easier.

Surprised nobody linked this yet, but for anyone still having issues this should help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYISHjsVhkg

Its a bit sketchy at the end, but cunning abuse of Maxwell's threshold skills makes it doable.
Also hot tip: You can buy Holy Torches, your actual healers probably have way better things to do than cast Dispel. (at least mine certainly did)

Mrit SA posted:

Not a programmer(just scripting) but it sounds like a client side check for how many rounds have been fought resets on restarting the app.
Which is loving hilarious, and lazy. Kinda like the fact that BC Lid always applies 3 status effects.(unless the target is specifically immune to all or near all effects)
Always works.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Victis posted:

Yes. Everyone does not, in fact, have multiple 5-star base units ready to go to get the rewards before they disappear.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Is Charlotte an acceptable substitute for Cecil in this event? I've managed to never pull Cecil so I'm just wondering how critical he is to at least getting Maxwell (the only reward i really care about).

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Maxwell's not even that great. I get wanting her since she's limited and comes out as 5*, but people really shouldn't stress so much about this kind of thing. I missed the pumpking spear while I was on vacation, and I might miss getting Maxwell because her fight's horrendous, it's not going to break my heart to have to use any of the dozens of other units I have instead

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Maxwell's not even that great. I get wanting her since she's limited and comes out as 5*, but people really shouldn't stress so much about this kind of thing. I missed the pumpking spear while I was on vacation, and I might miss getting Maxwell because her fight's horrendous, it's not going to break my heart to have to use any of the dozens of other units I have instead

Her main use is the 100% karma bonus when farming Vargas. She's still not a bad 5* unit either, though her 6* is pretty decent since Destiny is 200% damage and 50% defense ignore. Plus you should take in to account that Endless hitting 33 times is insanely good for orb/crystal drops. Solo Maxwell can easily refill her LB gauge via Endless and one of the trial videos I watched the other day had the person run a full party and bring a Maxwell friend. Chaining Endless is decent damage and it was also showering the party in crystals. Each double Endless use had at least one Maxwell's LB fully refill for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I just wanted to do the stupid content because I should be able to do it except I wasn't until I decided to cheat and steal. It's more stubornness than anything else, since it was JUST in that range where I should be able to beat it (considering the amount of "it's not too hard" posts I've read trying to figure out what I was doing wrong) but it kept screwing me.

Plus I want the 6*able unit because every 6*able unit as a F2P is welcome.

• Locked thread