Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
People who say Demon's Souls is the real hard one probably started with it and moved on to Dark Souls, where almost all of the systems were the same.

And yes, you do indeed get extra souls for super murdering an enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Nah, Red Knights respawn the same as everything else.

Only named characters/their black phantoms, crystal lizards kind of, and anything that drops a non-standard soul (bosses, primeval demons, dragons, vanguards) don't respawn.

Also, Thorn, the message about jumping off near Ostrava is referring to the very contextual ability to climb up waist-high ledges. You can just push forward at that wall and climb over to Ostrava.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 5, 2016

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I hope you're going to explain to Travis the difference between equip burden and item burden before too much longer. That's an important one.

And yes, when the Phalanx is without any Hoplites to hide behind, she just backs away into the corner. It's quite sad.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Okay, here's the deal with crystal lizards. Unless Dark Souls 3 does something similar, it's the worst form of them across the Souls games. Each crystal lizard will spawn a limited number of times. Initially, that number is one for every lizard. For each boss in that world that you kill, that number increases by one. For each lizard that either dies or escapes, the number decreases by one. So since you had already killed the Adjudicator, you got another shot at the one near Sparkly. The real issue is that there are some materials that only drop from lizards, and are necessary for high-level upgrades (and killing them isn't even a guarantee to get the materials, since it's still a drop table), but lizards have a tendency to spawn near cliffs, and run in that exact direction (really, they see you, turn around and then run; if you shoot them with an arrow before they notice you, you can make them run straight towards you). Even worse, if you kill them, you still need to collect the loot, unlike in Dark Souls 1, so if they fall off the cliff in death, that's still the items gone.

It's a really frustrating system and I wish they hadn't partially reverted to it in Dark Souls 2.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

NGDBSS posted:

Nah, DS2 gave you upgrade materials at a quick pace.

I must have played a different Dark Souls 2, then. As I remember, if you don't know where you're going and what you're doing, especially in the base game, getting the materials to upgrade beyond +3 takes a significant amount of time, there are no limitless sources of titanite until you pass certain checkpoints, and you also don't get any non-standard weapons worth upgrading for awhile anyway, so the materials you do have get wasted on basic weapons. And then the game threw titanite slabs at you with wild abandon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
So when I played through Latria 2 for the first time, I had almost gotten to the heart; I'd gone through the blood swamp and climbed back up, and then I fell down. But I missed the ground. I slipped through the level geometry and was just falling infinitely. My brother-in-law was smart enough to think of quitting and reloading when I was about to warp out of that situation. Reloaded back to the top and was able to continue on, fortunately.

Anyway if you haven't gotten anyone else locked in, I'd be down to play the game with you, if the connection holds okay and you wouldn't mind only being able to record on weekends due to time zones probably.

• Locked thread