Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunder
May 22, 2003

Problem description: New win 10 system exhibits "mini freezes" where the system hangs every few seconds. The mouse cursor freezes, and any sound playing stutters. The system then fully corrects itself before locking up again a few seconds later. Sometimes system entirely locks up, although this is rare. Crystal mark drive analyser says drive is in good health. Left memtest running overnight, and it came back with no errors.

Attempted fixes: CHKDSK /f /r, full system wipe + OS reinstall. Updated BIOS to latest version.

Recent changes: New parts were installed two days ago (New cpu, motherboard and ram).

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home

System specifications: i5-6600, ASRock Z170 Pro4, MSI Nvidia 970, 16 gigs DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX, Corsair 650W TX Series PSU, 1x Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black HD. No overclocking on any component.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Gunder fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Are you on the latest BIOS?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yes, updated the BIOS to the latest version, and the problem still occurs.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 23, 2016

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Issue is particularly noticeable when watching a youtube video in a browser window, as the audio stutters quite regularly.

No one asked for it, but here's the Crystalmark:

Gunder fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 23, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Check CPU temperatures using:
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Check GPU temperatures using:
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

How old is the PSU?

Make sure you're using the latest intel chipset drivers:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu&iid=dc_iduu&iid=dc_iduu&iid=dc_iduu

Gunder
May 22, 2003

These are the temps I got from both programs while using chrome to watch a YouTube video:

Doing the intel update thing just now.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The intel program doesn't seem to detect any drivers. I get "No drivers were detected for your product" when I click scan.

Edit: PSU is about 5-6 years old.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 23, 2016

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Went to the ASRock website and grabbed the latest chipset drivers. Problem still persists.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Gunder posted:

The intel program doesn't seem to detect any drivers. I get "No drivers were detected for your product" when I click scan.

Try these:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-?product=1145

http://www.realtek.com/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

Gunder posted:

These are the temps I got from both programs while using chrome to watch a YouTube video:

Doing the intel update thing just now.

Those are safe.

Gunder posted:

Edit: PSU is about 5-6 years old.

Definitely could be the issue. I'd never recommend building a new computer with a PSU 3+ years old.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Installed all that stuff. Problem remains.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I'm reluctant to start throwing money at the problem until I have an idea of what might be causing the problem. Is there a way I can test the PSU in order to rule it out as a problem?

Edit: By the way, thanks for helping me with this. I'd be lost without the advice!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

New symptom has appeared: I can't get my new AOC G2460PG monitor to display anything on startup. It connects via DisplayPort, and doesn't have any other inputs, so I can't try hdmi or dvi. When I boot the system, it never wakes up from standby. The most it does now is display No Signal, before returning to standby if I turn it off and on again.

Edit: Amazingly, unplugging the monitor from power for a minute, and then reconnecting, seems to have restored the monitor.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 23, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Gunder posted:

I'm reluctant to start throwing money at the problem until I have an idea of what might be causing the problem. Is there a way I can test the PSU in order to rule it out as a problem?

With a PSU that's degraded it's not easy to be 100% sure without just trying another one.

Sometimes in the BIOS you can see voltages that are definitely incorrect or by using a multimeter and testing each wire. But that's really tedious and also not a 100% thing as PSU readings can fluctuate under different loads.

Two other things to try:

-Try using only one stick of RAM temporarily and see if anything changes.

-Use onboard video temporarily (with another monitor I guess).

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I decided to install my old Xonar DX, to see if that would help with the sound issues and general stuttering. Miraculously, it seems to have fixed it. I've been using the system for about an hour, and haven't had any problems. (I uninstalled all the Realtek stuff) I'll continue testing this evening and see if this continues to work or not.

Edit: System seems to be fine since disabling the onboard Realtek sound.

Edit2: Days later, problem has returned.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 27, 2016

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Seems like the problem has returned.

The only change I made was to go into the BIOS and activate the XMP DRAM profile to try and make my ram run at its advertised speed. Upon rebooting, Windows starts to stutter again, as before it did before. So I shutdown and selected one of the slower JEDEC settings instead, but the problem remains. I don't understand what wrong I did to resurrect the issue, but it's definitely back. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Gunder posted:

Upon rebooting, Windows starts to stutter again, as before it did before. So I shutdown and selected one of the slower JEDEC settings instead, but the problem remains. I don't understand what wrong I did to resurrect the issue, but it's definitely back. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

If you've tried using one stick of RAM and using onboard video and the issue is still happening I'd probably be returning parts and/or trying a new PSU at that point.

If you wanted to do more troubleshooting you could take the motherboard out of the case and place it on a nonconductive surface (using a paperclip/key to bridge the powerpins on the motherboard to turn it on). But I doubt that's the issue as that's more useful for a computer not POSTing. I doubt the case is the issue.

I suppose you could try booting from a Linux DVD/flash drive and see if that behaved any differently but I also doubt the OS or HD are the issue either.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I just removed the graphics card, and am using onboard video, and the problem SEEMS to have gone, but i'll have to do more testing to find out if that's true or not. This card is a 970 that I used in my old system from a year ago. I wonder if it's suddenly broken since moving to the new system.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If the issue is truly gone that means either the video card has an issue or the PSU is being taxed less by using onboard video.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Zogo posted:

If the issue is truly gone that means either the video card has an issue or the PSU is being taxed less by using onboard video.

Yeah, i'm gonna test over the next few days, make sure it's totally gone. After that i'm going to swap in my room-mate's 970 (exact same model and manufacturer). If it starts messing up with his card too then i'll look at PSUs.

Edit: Also tried a linux live CD and it was totally fine (for the 20 minutes I tried it for).

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Tried my roommates 970 in my system, and he tried my one in his. I instantly got the return of the stuttering, while his setup was totally fine. So I guess it's time to try out a new PSU. I'll be going for the 650 watt EVGA Supernova G2, as recommended in the part picking thread. This will replace my 6 year old Corsair TX650.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just installed the new PSU to no avail. The stuttering is still present. I guess RMA'ing the motherboard is the next step?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Gunder posted:

Just installed the new PSU to no avail. The stuttering is still present. I guess RMA'ing the motherboard is the next step?

Yea, switching motherboards would be the next step.

If you wanted to do more troubleshooting you could try different RAM (Memtest isn't a 100% guarantee that your RAM is okay).

If you wanted to do more troubleshooting you could take the motherboard out of the case and place it on a nonconductive surface (using a paperclip/key to bridge the powerpins on the motherboard to turn it on).

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I tried moving the graphics card to the other PCIe slot, and the problem seems to have gone. I'll test more over the next day.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Check the BIOS to see if there is a setting regarding PCIE frequency. I've had issues with the Nvidia 360.xx series drivers and setting the PCIE frequency to stock in the BIOS stabilized things for me. Also turn off hardware acceleration in your browsers.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Check the BIOS to see if there is a setting regarding PCIE frequency. I've had issues with the Nvidia 360.xx series drivers and setting the PCIE frequency to stock in the BIOS stabilized things for me. Also turn off hardware acceleration in your browsers.

It's just set to auto.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gunder posted:

It's just set to auto.

Try changing the frequency to the default, which I believe is 100mhz. This is anecdotal, but setting this on my motherboard almost eliminated the graphics driver issues I was having.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Try changing the frequency to the default, which I believe is 100mhz. This is anecdotal, but setting this on my motherboard almost eliminated the graphics driver issues I was having.

PCIe Link Speed is the closest setting my BIOS has to what you're describing. It gives me Auto, Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 as possible options. Nothing about 100mhz.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You could try setting that to just gen 3 and see if it has any effect. You could also try doing a complete uninstall of the video drivers using DDU and install pre-360.xx release Nvidia drivers and see if the behavior stabilizes.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You could try setting that to just gen 3 and see if it has any effect. You could also try doing a complete uninstall of the video drivers using DDU and install pre-360.xx release Nvidia drivers and see if the behavior stabilizes.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) my motherboard rma is looming, so I'm about to swap out the boards in a few minutes. I guess I'll check what it defaults to in the bios before I let it boot into Windows for the first time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hopefully it is just a motherboard issue, and you won't have any further hassles with it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just installed the new motherboard, and the stuttering is STILL present. Not sure what to attempt next. RMA RAM perhaps? I don't have any other DDR4 to hand, so I can't try simply swapping in new RAM.

The system as it currently is:

i5-6600
ASRock Z170 Pro4 (Replacement, original has been RMA'd)
MSI Nvidia 970
16 gigs DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX
EVGA Supernova G2 650 watt (New part, to replace suspected faulty older Corsair TX650)
1x Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black HD
ASUS Xonar DX Sound Card
No overclocking on any component.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Have you run at least a full pass of memtest on that RAM? I've usually used memtest86+, but if you haven't run memtest yet then I'd do so. Have you checked to make sure the RAM timings in the BIOS match up what the RAM is supposed to be? I'd also check the USB 3.0 drivers and maybe reinstall those.

I still suspect the Nvidia drivers since you did the GPU swap with your roommate, but checking the RAM is certainly a good idea.

Also, is there a setting in the BIOS to turn off the onboard video?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you run at least a full pass of memtest on that RAM? I've usually used memtest86+, but if you haven't run memtest yet then I'd do so. Have you checked to make sure the RAM timings in the BIOS match up what the RAM is supposed to be? I'd also check the USB 3.0 drivers and maybe reinstall those.

I still suspect the Nvidia drivers since you did the GPU swap with your roommate, but checking the RAM is certainly a good idea.

Also, is there a setting in the BIOS to turn off the onboard video?

I left memtest running overnight (3-4 full passes) and it came back with zero errors. The ram timings are set to auto, and i'm not really sure how to change that other than trying XMP profiles (which, if you read a few posts up, resulted in the return of the issue after it went quiet for a few days). I'm going to try a pre-362.xx driver rollback just now.

You don't seem to be able to fully disable the onboard video in the bios, just tell the system which thing is the primary output.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If you try a 350.xx driver I'd be curious to see if the problem resolved. Just use DDU to do clean removal before installing the driver. Also, I'm not sure if Windows 10 will fight over having an older video driver or not.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Rebooted into Safe Mode, ran DDU, and then rebooted again and installed nvidia driver version 359.06 (Dated from mid-January). So far....no stutters. Will keep testing.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 1, 2016

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm really interested to see if that resolves it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm really interested to see if that resolves it.

So far, so good. I've already played Overwatch and Total Warhammer with no issues. Also no Youtube stuttering. I'll keep testing.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

3 days later, the stuttering hasn't returned. Still on the old drivers.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Glad that downgrading the drivers has at least stabilized things - thanks for the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Been a little over 2 weeks since the driver rollback. Still no issues!

• Locked thread