Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Check the BIOS to see if there is a setting regarding PCIE frequency. I've had issues with the Nvidia 360.xx series drivers and setting the PCIE frequency to stock in the BIOS stabilized things for me. Also turn off hardware acceleration in your browsers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gunder posted:

It's just set to auto.

Try changing the frequency to the default, which I believe is 100mhz. This is anecdotal, but setting this on my motherboard almost eliminated the graphics driver issues I was having.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You could try setting that to just gen 3 and see if it has any effect. You could also try doing a complete uninstall of the video drivers using DDU and install pre-360.xx release Nvidia drivers and see if the behavior stabilizes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hopefully it is just a motherboard issue, and you won't have any further hassles with it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Have you run at least a full pass of memtest on that RAM? I've usually used memtest86+, but if you haven't run memtest yet then I'd do so. Have you checked to make sure the RAM timings in the BIOS match up what the RAM is supposed to be? I'd also check the USB 3.0 drivers and maybe reinstall those.

I still suspect the Nvidia drivers since you did the GPU swap with your roommate, but checking the RAM is certainly a good idea.

Also, is there a setting in the BIOS to turn off the onboard video?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If you try a 350.xx driver I'd be curious to see if the problem resolved. Just use DDU to do clean removal before installing the driver. Also, I'm not sure if Windows 10 will fight over having an older video driver or not.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm really interested to see if that resolves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Glad that downgrading the drivers has at least stabilized things - thanks for the update.

• Locked thread