Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I really wish they could do a multiverse thing and get every Kirk together for something while they still can.

Kirkus Maximus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Oops! All Kirks (bridge crew)

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

All the Kirk's from all the universes, James T. Kirk, James R. Kirk, Jim Kirk, Jimothy Kirkland, John Sheridan...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Jimothy Kirkland

The Costco Captain

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

mirror universe ferengi who insist on getting you the best deal possible

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Kinda surprised the producers allowed this shot.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's the happiest O'Brien's ever been

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

James T Twerk

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

They encouraged it!

Ohh the camera shot. Yeah.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Animal-Mother posted:

I have to assume they were busy fingering Voyager

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

I have to assume they were busy fingering Voyager

Sorry, what?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Huh?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I'm just not sure as to how Voyager was fingered.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Right in the bio-neural gel packs.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I'm just not sure as to how Voyager was fingered.

*Plinkett voice*
Right there. I've done it!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

All the Kirk's from all the universes, James T. Kirk, James R. Kirk, Jim Kirk, Jimothy Kirkland, John Sheridan...

Zapp Brannigan

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Only got about a dozen more episodes of Enterprise left so I started rewatching the Abrams movies.

1. They're p good, Into Darkness was wack sometimes but still had good setpieces and Benny's performance as Khan is aight tho the fact that they made him into a white British dude who is like the physical opposite of Ricardo Montalban is really weird lol. He's all lanky and grave, none of the operatics of the OG Khan. I guess they had to switch it up tho. Zachary Quinto did a great job doing the KHAAAAAN scream.

2. Cardassians are mentioned in the first movie briefly, so at least in this universe they were a known quantity even that far back.

3. They mentioned "Admiral Archer's prized beagle." which to me means that Archer has just constantly been getting beagles or even rendered Porthos near immortal somehow. Also Archer must be old as loving poo poo at this point. How many years before TOS is Enterprise?

4. The first movie does a really great job of taking the 60s aesthetic of TOS and somehow modernized it. The costumes and poo poo are all on point and it's fun seeing how they managed to update the props so they look like the originals but still come off practical.

5. The phasers not being beams is kinda lame, but the gunfights are pretty cool lightshows. I generally like how they managed to up the budget and scale of everything but still have it feel Trek.

Gonna watch Beyond tn which I remember being a blast. It's cool rewatching these because the first time I saw them my only Star Trek knowledge was from the smattering of random episodes I had seen growing up from TNG, TOS, DS9, ENT, and VOY, so going in and getting the references and the importance of things is neat.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Enterprise is set in the 2150s

TOS starts in like 2261?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

3. They mentioned "Admiral Archer's prized beagle." which to me means that Archer has just constantly been getting beagles or even rendered Porthos near immortal somehow. Also Archer must be old as loving poo poo at this point. How many years before TOS is Enterprise?

Literally more than a century lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We can just assume Archer had a son that continued the family tradition of being promoted out of nepotism, and Scotty is referring to that admiral's prized beagle

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I was not very high on Star Trek '09 when I went back to it recently.

Just felt like a generic action movie that they landed the Trek branding for and honestly I thought it looked pretty ugly? Just too busy, too many lights flashing in my face and things looking way too sterile.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

We can just assume Archer had a son that continued the family tradition of being promoted out of nepotism, and Scotty is referring to that admiral's prized beagle

I like a mix of these

Jonathan Archer IV and the original Porthos, mostly cybernetic

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Humans live for a really long time in Star Trek's future don't they

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
In an episode of DS9 they mention Keiko is visiting her mom for her hundredth birthday, like it’s not at all unusual for people to live to be that old.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

McCoy is 130 or something like that when he shows up on TNG.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Rosalind Chao is in 3 Body Problem and she's really great.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

TheKingslayer posted:

he should have stayed in his disco outfit from the first movie

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Non Compos Mentis posted:

he should have stayed coked out of his mind for the first movie

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Did you like the part where Spock screamed and sobbed and jumped on the top of a hoverbus and punched Kahn in the face over and over again, the ultimate evolution of Spock as a character?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Did you like the part where Spock screamed and sobbed and jumped on the top of a hoverbus and punched Kahn in the face over and over again, the ultimate evolution of Spock as a character?

Loathe as I am to defend Into Darkness, Quinto's Spock is at the very least a guy who's explicitly stated as letting his emotions rule his character more than standard in the wake of multiple tragedies OG Spock never had to endure, so Kirk dying on top of that would definitely cause him to just loving snap and try to murder Khan out of revenge. And the part where Khan no sells a Vulcan neck pinch is legit a great "OH poo poo!" moment.

It's just a terrible shame about, you know, the other entire runtime of Star Trek: Into Darkness.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah that ruled.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I do not like the JJ Abram’s films outside of the cast. The cast is good,

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

nine-gear crow posted:

Loathe as I am to defend Into Darkness, Quinto's Spock is at the very least a guy who's explicitly stated as letting his emotions rule his character more than standard in the wake of multiple tragedies OG Spock never had to endure, so Kirk dying on top of that would definitely cause him to just loving snap and try to murder Khan out of revenge. And the part where Khan no sells a Vulcan neck pinch is legit a great "OH poo poo!" moment.

It's just a terrible shame about, you know, the other entire runtime of Star Trek: Into Darkness.

It's literally set up in the first movie that Spock struggles with his emotions, anger especially. Not like it came out of nowhere, especially when he does it to Kirk after his race got genocided and Kirk intentionally goads him. This time he thinks he's lost his best friend and after losing his mother and basically 99% of his own race he's obviously touchy about that poo poo. I don't think anything is weird about that at all. Him wrestling with his Vulcan/Human nature is p. much the core of his character from the very first scene we see him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's literally set up in the first movie that Spock struggles with his emotions, anger especially. Not like it came out of nowhere, especially when he does it to Kirk after his race got genocided and Kirk intentionally goads him. This time he thinks he's lost his best friend and after losing his mother and basically 99% of his own race he's obviously touchy about that poo poo. I don't think anything is weird about that at all. Him wrestling with his Vulcan/Human nature is p. much the core of his character from the very first scene we see him.

Yeah, most of '09 and Into Darkness are actually quite logically sound. It's just their execution that sometimes comes up lacking, and I say this as someone who still rather likes Trek '09.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I like how they came up with the neck pinch in TOS because they thought having Spock jump around and wailing on dudes would look dumb and weird and they were right

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nimoy came up with it, no?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Cumberbatch loving blows and any interest that I might have had in Into Darkness died when he was cast as Khan (We promise he isn't actually him though. We wouldn't just rip off Wrath of Khan...)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's hard to believe that the epitome of genetic engineered supermen would be a lanky british guy with a weird face.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TheKingslayer posted:

Just looking at what's being researched now in medicine humans comfortably living to 130+ a few hundred years in the future seems pretty reasonable. Biggest issue at the moment that no one seems to know what to do about is brain degeneration. But yeah easily possible thats a solvable problem, at least just delaying it a few decades.

Edit: Had a client at work who was very close to a hundred and still completely with it, so being cognative at that age seems not even that far out of pretty normal human biology. A little help here and there by not to distant future medcine and some people getting to 130 and still being able to function mentally seems possibly doable. Honestly looking at how the transporter alone works it seems weird that aging is much of a thing in Star Trek.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
lol @ casting Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan when Dev Patel was right loving there the whole time and even he's the lazy choice out of literally every other English-speaking Indian male actor on the planet.