Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'm sure there are plenty of Klingon doctors but I bet there aren't any Klingon nurses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I assume Klingon doctors are like Ork Painboyz from Warhammer 40K and it's all about experimental treatment to keep soldiers on their feet more than it is about curing illness.

They just don't pussyfoot around and call it "frontier medicine".

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Dr Bashir showing up on DS9 and immediately talking to the Bajoran XO about how happy he is to bring real medicine to these disgusting savages is like top 10 Star Trek moments.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fun Klingon fact: G'agh was invented during battlefield surgery to distract them from the wounds, and the sickos came to love it...

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I assume Klingon doctors are like Ork Painboyz from Warhammer 40K and it's all about experimental treatment to keep soldiers on their feet more than it is about curing illness.

They just don't pussyfoot around and call it "frontier medicine".

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I wonder what the Klingon Hippocratic Oath is like?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

"If they die, they die"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

klingon doctors are required to fist-fight any patient that looks like they might die from an illness so that they go to stovokor

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Do harm if it brings honor

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol want to see a YA Klingon Medical School soap/drama.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Do no harm. (Offer void to Romulans)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

I bet Phlox could have cured M'Benga's daughter despite coming from a generation earlier.

he would do some weird treatment involving the worms broccoli saw in the transport buffer

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Why isn't the transporter one of the main medical devices? Say you develop liver cancer, presto, your new liver transported into you from your personal health buffer, your healthy liver from 30 years ago.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

redshirt posted:

Why isn't the transporter one of the main medical devices? Say you develop liver cancer, presto, your new liver transported into you from your personal health buffer, your healthy liver from 30 years ago.

the little flashlight thing has to be doing this right?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Dabir posted:

There's no Klingon doctors. Mad (as in angry) scientists, yes, but Klingon medicine is based on either yelling at you to suck it up, or stabbing you.

Remember when Martok had a slash on his arm and he refused treatment until Bashir could see him? Like a Klingon doctor couldn't even handle that.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I love it when Data does inexplicably stupid things, like when he tried to test the adage that a watched pot never boils. Yes, he is a robot man and doesn't understand humanity, sure, but he should know that water will boil at the same rate whether or not you look at it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Remember when Martok had a slash on his arm and he refused treatment until Bashir could see him? Like a Klingon doctor couldn't even handle that.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

- Martok laughs

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

redshirt posted:

It turns out we hit the max storage capacity in current year. Files keep getting bigger, but hard drives don't. That's why they need a dozen space ipads on their desk rather than just one. That's why they can't store all the data they clearly should have access to.

No we can't fill the turbolift dimension with hard drives. Stop asking!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I love it when Data does inexplicably stupid things, like when he tried to test the adage that a watched pot never boils. Yes, he is a robot man and doesn't understand humanity, sure, but he should know that water will boil at the same rate whether or not you look at it.

But what if it didn't? That would be pretty interesting. He can be calculating 5 different things while his optical processors are looking at the pot, so it doesn't actually cost him anything to try.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

i would have told him you need a soul to stop it from boiling

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Go to a Klingon doctor with a broken arm and he'll just cut it off and call you a cowardly DopKhoJock

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Go to a Klingon doctor with a broken arm and he'll just cut it off and call you a cowardly DopKhoJock

Only cost two slips of latinum.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Klingon barbers just shock you on the balls with pain sticks

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxPKNX1oWyw

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

redshirt posted:

Klingons are hypocrites to their core (when it comes to Klingon traditions and legends; I do believe MOST of them do highly value honor and one's word and such).

So there's no doubt hyper competitive Klingon medical schools but they make it seem like it's a warrior thing.

maybe it's like Roman military surgeons where you make your chops gluing people back together after they've been chopped into three separate pieces and then go back home for civvy work

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It wasn't actually about the water boiling, it was about if he experienced a different perspective of time while watching it. He knows physics is consistent and humans aren't, so he was figuring out where he fell on the spectrum.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Space Jam posted:

i would have told him you need a soul to stop it from boiling

Yeah, a big part of the effect is how mortality affects our perception of time. You have to perceive each moment as simultaneously numerous and one of a finite number of moments before you die.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Goatse James Bond posted:

maybe it's like Roman military surgeons where you make your chops gluing people back together after they've been chopped into three separate pieces and then go back home for civvy work

You'd think that impulse/need would get refined and professionalized over time. Not like the Klingons just started fighting wars, they've been doing that for thousands of years. Like Doctors would become highly valued for putting warriors back into battle.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

redshirt posted:

You'd think that impulse/need would get refined and professionalized over time. Not like the Klingons just started fighting wars, they've been doing that for thousands of years. Like Doctors would become highly valued for putting warriors back into battle.

They got that toxic masculinity where it's shameful to show weakness.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

It wasn't actually about the water boiling, it was about if he experienced a different perspective of time while watching it. He knows physics is consistent and humans aren't, so he was figuring out where he fell on the spectrum.

Stop humanizing it, it doesn't understand these things. Data is a toaster.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

redshirt posted:

because the buffer isn't designed for long-term storage and the contents of it are expected to degrade over time - your new liver might be perfectly fine, or it could've lost half of its genetic information in that time and reconstitute as a slop made of teeth and hair. also the pattern buffer has to be continuously powered that whole time and can't be used for anything else, so you'd have thousands of buffers running on a spaceship that will tolerate absolutely no power interruptions when you could just beam a hologram into their body and head for the nearest space hospital.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

It's pronounced Data.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

because the buffer isn't designed for long-term storage and the contents of it are expected to degrade over time - your new liver might be perfectly fine, or it could've lost half of its genetic information in that time and reconstitute as a slop made of teeth and hair. also the pattern buffer has to be continuously powered that whole time and can't be used for anything else, so you'd have thousands of buffers running on a spaceship that will tolerate absolutely no power interruptions when you could just beam a hologram into their body and head for the nearest space hospital.

Sounds like we could improve long term data storage even in the TNG future.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I’m sick of all the toaster slander in sci fi. Battlestar was a particular offender. News flash! Toasters make toast, which is delicious.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Would a federation toaster even use heating elements as we understand them or does it use force fields to create the perfectly toasted slices of toast

I always assumed that by TNG everything was done with force fields being projected out of the ceiling or whatever. Clean the carpet? Force fields. Scrape the poo poo out of your rear end? Force fields.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
They simply keep a slice of bread in the pattern buffer until it degrades into toast

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd use two force fields, oppositely charged, 33% strength

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

I figure a Federation toaster would turn out the same way as the Federation cloaking device that flew through objects it'd obviously do something that no one intended it to or didn't need to.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

"Captain, I have reason to believe the toaster is a sentient lifeform."

"Data... You know... How can I put this... You can't let your kid keep any animal it brings home, right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Nobody in Star Trek wears clothing. It’s all just holograms.