Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Nobody in Star Trek wears clothing. It’s all just holograms.

Yet somehow the seam still rides up my crotch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Why it's time for the Skant

- NYT Pitchbot

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tighclops posted:

I always assumed that by TNG everything was done with force fields being projected out of the ceiling or whatever. Clean the carpet? Force fields. Scrape the poo poo out of your rear end? Force fields.

I see everything in TNG being done with a flickering blue beam of some kind.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm hard pressed to recall any major medical problem that wasn't resolved by transporter.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm hard pressed to recall any major medical problem that wasn't resolved by transporter.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

i just finished enterprise. terra prime and peter weller were great but the series finale poo poo the bed hard. i laughed when trip straight up kills himself when him and archer are menaced by some mean aliens, like that hadn’t been happening for years. i guess he just snapped.

anyway, time to rewatch ds9

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Endless Trash posted:

I’m sick of all the toaster slander in sci fi. Battlestar was a particular offender. News flash! Toasters make toast, which is delicious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec&t=72s

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sisko beating Quark's rear end with a sandal

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

I see everything in TNG being done with a flickering blue beam of some kind.

that's what forcefields look like!!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tighclops posted:

Scrape the poo poo out of your rear end? Force fields.

The three force fields.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i want to know what a replicators storage looks like, is it just a tank of mush?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I assume it’s just atomic hydrogen

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

i want to know what a replicators storage looks like, is it just a tank of mush?

There's one of nutrient suspension and there's another one that's just fabric for uniforms.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

That was an execution!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's a space that's too large to fit in the ship, full of criss-crossing spools of matter thread

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Grey Cat posted:

That was an execution!

ah, at last, klingon medicine

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Do you have a septic tank at home?

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Space Jam posted:

i just finished enterprise. terra prime and peter weller were great but the series finale poo poo the bed hard. i laughed when trip straight up kills himself when him and archer are menaced by some mean aliens, like that hadn’t been happening for years. i guess he just snapped.

anyway, time to rewatch ds9

I just finished enterrpise and moved back to ds9 too. Trip dying was so pointless in every way.

I've never seen the full first season as it was suggested to skip most of it when I was watching for the first time with my ex. I skipped the pilot this time as I remember it being extremely tedious. All the ST pilots from that era are rough.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Scratch Monkey posted:

I assume it’s just atomic hydrogen

Tech fluff says they prefer to keep a representative slice of elements in the replicator source tanks, it's much easier and efficient to replicate, say, iron out of iron without having to invoke nucleosynthesis.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 16, 2024

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There are two main replicator systems on the Ent-D. The organic system, which is the one you see almost every time, uses an organic slurry as the base material and reformats it into food. There is an engineering system in the engineering hull that is specifically made to build metalic stuff.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They gotta be connected though cause the cups have to come from somewhere

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
The cups are also edible.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

They gotta be connected though cause the cups have to come from somewhere

There are waveguides all through the ship. Cause the replicator itself is a centralized machine. The places where the Tea, Earl Grey, Hot shows up are just head units connected to the replicator.

Also they can make metal out of the food slurry stuff, all the same particles are there.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Computer, eggs a la Riker.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

Command authorization from two senior officers is required to override safety lockouts.

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

Outpost22 posted:

Eat any good books lately?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Q always made me laugh everytime he talked to Worf

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

guess ultra processed foods weren't poo poo for the human body in the future

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Outpost22 posted:

Wrong franchise, but to a Moclan, sure.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 17, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I keep wanting to conflate the organic goo tanks with Cetacean Ops.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

John Murdoch posted:

I keep wanting to conflate the organic goo tanks with Cetacean Ops.

Cetacean ops, the morning after a big replicated dinner for some ambassadors:

Dolphin ensign: hey where's George?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

That just has the computer call Riker to your quarters

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

One of the many things I learned from reading Patrick O'Brian - dolphins make great sausages and are better than Christmas pork.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

When the ship gets rocked and everything shakes around, whose job is it to return PADDs to people. Like does Picard just pick up the nearest tablet off the floor and check the back for a holoprinted label and it's like
:wink:Riker, W.T.:wink: oh, here you go number one

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Throw 'em in the replicator and if anyone needs a PADD again again they can just get a new one and restore state.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 17, 2024

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

When the ship gets rocked and everything shakes around, whose job is it to return PADDs to people. Like does Picard just pick up the nearest tablet off the floor and check the back for a holoprinted label and it's like
"Computer, Purell, warm, one liter."

Mulaney Power Move posted:

One of the many things I learned from reading Patrick O'Brian - dolphins make great sausages and are better than Christmas pork.
And I learned of the existence of 'soused pig's face'! Aubrey & Maturin's favorite dish!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

Maybe padds are all identical and all just dumb terminals, so you just pick one up and sign in and it picks up where you left off.

People have several because the server only lets you do one thing at a time per profile, so you have to remember 25 logins if you wanna do more than one thing

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

People have several because the server only lets you do one thing at a time per profile, so you have to remember 25 logins if you wanna do more than one thing

Nah people have a bunch of PADDs because it's like the way I have a whole bunch of different chrome windows open at once. It's organisationally helpful. Instead of minimising this thing you're working on you literally just put it to the side so you can pick it up, or look from one to the other.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 17, 2024

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Did staar trek invent the concept of iPads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They had tablets in 2001: A Space Odyssey. The IBM Tele Pad.

Although I'm not sure we ever saw them used them that interactively or as touchscreens, we just saw a bit where they watched videos and read the news on them. They faked 'em with a cutout in the table underneath where they were sitting to project onto it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 17, 2024