Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

galagazombie posted:

How the hell did something this painfully unfunny get six seasons?

We really take for granted how good tv has been in the last 15-20 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the most bonkers thing of all is that webster with all the energy of a 70s sitcom went off the air only a year before the fresh prince of bel-air formally welcomed everyone into the 90s and 00s vibe.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It was the late 80s, they were living it up in the future, you were no longer limited to three networks to choose from, but now had four* plus PBS! So many choices. Only the best of the best in entertainment could survive with competition from so many other networks.

*Depending on if Fox was airing in your region, and also what time of day it was

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

We really take for granted how good tv has been in the last 15-20 years

Picard and Disco just happy to be back in the conversation

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

It was the late 80s, they were living it up in the future, you were no longer limited to three networks to choose from, but now had four* plus PBS! So many choices. Only the best of the best in entertainment could survive with competition from so many other networks.

*Depending on if Fox was airing in your region, and also what time of day it was

And if your family had learned the proper Fox Viewing Position protocol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That KFC Star Trek ad seriously blew me away. Great production values, and I really thought some of those actors were the original cast. Or real close.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Star trek commercial that always gets a laugh out of me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7C1_po15hw

And the answer? Absolutely.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

lol Chakotay built up in the open of The Fight to be some kind of trained boxer and when he swings on Tuvok he gets absolutely big brothered. Chakotay blows.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tuvok: I apologize but I must excuse myself. I seem to be experiencing an emotion, second hand embarrassment.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

He's such an unfortunate character. He comes across as a fair and good commander but is saddled with all the achoochiemoya my people have a saying crap and just isn't cool on the heels of Riker where of course there's going to be a comparison. Also you get a little piece of the personal connection he has with Janeway on their bathtub planet episode but it doesn't go too deep ever again and with no one else, either as a good friend or anything beyond that.

I'm almost half way through S1 DS9 for the first time as I skipped most on my original watch through. Nothing great so far except the characters. Bashir isn't likable though. Also a lot of the time it doesn't look great, like it was filmed through a white filter on the lens.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

counterfeitsaint posted:

I maintain that 90s TV started when Fox picked up Get a Life

Powered Descent posted:

Pizza is better in the original Klingon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgxWqLoafBo

(Fun fact: this was the first commercial ever to air in the UK in a language other than English.)

I'm sure every Irish, Scottish, and Welsh person in the UK was thrilled by that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked when some guy was being an rear end in a top hat and Chakotay confronted him in the mess hall and the guy is like "We're supposed to be Maquis, this isn't how we do things" and Chakotay says "Oh you wanna do things the Maquis way?" and loving decks him and knocks him to the ground.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

I maintain that 90s TV started when Fox picked up Get a Life

God I loved that show. Appointment viewing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The only Chakotay scene I liked was towards the end of the run, when it's revealed that yet another member of his bridge crew was a spy for yet another faction, and he's like "Was anyone on that ship actually working for me?"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not sure what episode the line you're thinking of happened in, but this scene was season 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iMlvTfVMzU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

counterfeitsaint posted:

The only Chakotay scene I liked was towards the end of the run, when it's revealed that yet another member of his bridge crew was a spy for yet another faction, and he's like "Was anyone on that ship actually working for me?"

Year later it turns out that after Eddington got got the entire Maquis was like 20 guys. The rest were all spies. If every intelligence agency in the quadrant hadn't been tripping over themselves to embed agents the organization wouldn't have been able to do any terrorisms at all.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Watched the DS9 ep where the shuttle crashes on the planet it’s 2 warring factions and nanites that prevent them from dying, real good sci fi bones which I love. Funny how the Kai decides she wants to stay on the death and killing planet living in a cave.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Year later it turns out that after Eddington got got the entire Maquis was like 20 guys. The rest were all spies. If every intelligence agency in the quadrant hadn't been tripping over themselves to embed agents the organization wouldn't have been able to do any terrorisms at all.

We call that the fbi.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Watched the DS9 ep where the shuttle crashes on the planet it’s 2 warring factions and nanites that prevent them from dying, real good sci fi bones which I love. Funny how the Kai decides she wants to stay on the death and killing planet living in a cave.
i mean, she did die so there was somewhat of an incentive to stay on the planet that keeps you alive

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'm watching voyager on pluto and an ad for a loving yacht came on. Who the gently caress is using pluto tv and able to afford a yacht?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

They can afford a yacht BECAUSE they watch the services like Pluto, duh

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

started watching TNG again at night, just randomly in season 3. Riza episode cracks me up. I love falling asleep to this show always have killer dreams

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

The jump in quality from TNG S2-3 is so insane. Practically every episode of S3 is an all time classic

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have only the vaguest of ideas about what DS9's vibe is in the long run but Vortex feels like the episode that kickstarts it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

galagazombie posted:

How the hell did something this painfully unfunny get six seasons?

I watched a lot of this kind of crap as a little kid. If we assume I wasn’t such an odd child that my interests couldn’t represent a baseline (I know. We all know.), then extremely bad sitcoms might have been that decades beige equivalent of Skibidi Toilet.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Do trill and symbiotes have a different pool of names, or does it ever happen that someone ends up being called “Dax Dax”?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Scratch Monkey posted:

Klingon is more culturally relevant so it's not a surprise.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I forget Jeffrey Combs is the space gladiator slaver in Voyager. Nothing this guy can't do.

Also more Chakotay boxing lore.

Edit: drat, I'd recognize Martok's voice anywhere. He's pretty cool as the Hirogen pit fighter.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 19, 2024

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

The original Enterprise model that was used in the opening credits has been returned to Roddenberry's son. He wants it to go somewhere the public can view it after it is restored.

https://apnews.com/article/star-trek-uss-enterprise-roddenberry-e3cea04b05ae5c24130d144a0b38d051

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big rear end On Fire posted:

The original Enterprise model that was used in the opening credits has been returned to Roddenberry's son. He wants it to go somewhere the public can view it after it is restored.

https://apnews.com/article/star-trek-uss-enterprise-roddenberry-e3cea04b05ae5c24130d144a0b38d051

Is that the one that was on display in the Smithsonian aerospace museum gift shop?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

I think that ones way bigger

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Yeah the article says this is the first one. The larger one came later.

quote:

The 3-foot (0.91-meter) model of the USS Enterprise was used in the show’s original pilot episode as well as the opening credits of the resulting TV series, and was the prototype for the 11-foot (3-meter) version featured in the series’ episodes. The larger model is on display at the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is that the one that was on display in the Smithsonian aerospace museum gift shop?

The article posted:

The 3-foot (0.91-meter) model of the USS Enterprise was used in the show’s original pilot episode as well as the opening credits of the resulting TV series, and was the prototype for the 11-foot (3-meter) version featured in the series’ episodes. The larger model is on display at the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Actually, the 3-foot (0.91-meter) model of the USS Enterprise was used in the show’s original pilot episode as well as the opening credits of the resulting TV series, and was the prototype for the 11-foot (3-meter) version featured in the series’ episodes. The larger model is on display at the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Dabir posted:

Not sure what episode the line you're thinking of happened in, but this scene was season 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iMlvTfVMzU

Yeah, must be misremembering. I was combining this scene with the season 7 episode where some kind of Bajoran Manchurian Candidate brainwashing nonsense gets activated I guess.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I wish I could call Tuvok to talk me down when I get too high and paranoid.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TheKingslayer posted:

I wish I could call Tuvok to talk me down when I get too high and paranoid.

Ensign, try to recall, do you have access to any record by the Allman Brothers?

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

:lol:

Tuvok is the man.

Watching DS9 again I'm thinking Major Kira might be a good candidate for all star crew just to get nasty in combat situations. In the death and rebirth war moon ep when the bad guys charge into the cave she doesn't hesitate to do a combat roll, grab a phaser and blast a dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like Kira because she is attracted to dumpy boring middle aged men with very little personality, like me