Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is that the one that was on display in the Smithsonian aerospace museum gift shop?

Covered that it isn't, but at some point that one rolled over from being classified as 'curio' to 'genuine museum exhibit' so they gave it a real, proper restoration (fixing the terrible one they had before) and now it's in an actual display out on the museum floor in the hall with all the rockets and stuff, with information signs and stuff, instead of just being clumsily hung in the gift shop.

It looks pretty gorgeous now post-new-restoration. A couple of times a day the engines domes spin up for a little while too.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wow they did a great job with that...I'm glad it's in a good public museum like Air and Space..although honestly the Annex outside of DC is the real treat. They built a giant building near the airport and it has a ton of rare planes in it, like the Enola Gay and one of the Space Shuttles. The really big planes could never fit in the DC museum so thankfully some years back they built the annex that can hold huge planes.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Big rear end On Fire posted:

The original Enterprise model that was used in the opening credits has been returned to Roddenberry's son. He wants it to go somewhere the public can view it after it is restored.

https://apnews.com/article/star-trek-uss-enterprise-roddenberry-e3cea04b05ae5c24130d144a0b38d051

I love that the nacelles aren't straight. It's more funky.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wow they did a great job with that...I'm glad it's in a good public museum like Air and Space..although honestly the Annex outside of DC is the real treat. They built a giant building near the airport and it has a ton of rare planes in it, like the Enola Gay and one of the Space Shuttles. The really big planes could never fit in the DC museum so thankfully some years back they built the annex that can hold huge planes.

It always amused me that in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, they find and resurrect Jetfire in the Air & Space Annex, then exit through the back door into ... an empty field.

Um, yeah, DC's geography isn't like that.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Strange New Boot Goofin'

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Timby posted:

It always amused me that in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, they find and resurrect Jetfire in the Air & Space Annex, then exit through the back door into ... an empty field.

Um, yeah, DC's geography isn't like that.

transformers movies have a very tenuous understanding of how time and space work.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Strange New Boot Goofin'

:lol:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Animal-Mother posted:

I love that the nacelles aren't straight. It's more funky.

I wonder if it's just sagging because it's old, or if it was intentional to force perspective and make it look larger on camera from certain angles.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Is there an in universe design philosophy for why Federation ships tend to follow the saucer and nacelle thing or is it one of those, "That's just how they do it." things?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Something about how warp fields form I think

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

yeah 'warp field geometry'. It's Archer's dad's fault.

there's also providing clear lines of sight for the main deflector and for the Bussard ramscoops

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I wish more ships would stick to the rules of “nacelles and deflector dish” but they never do. The Romulans and Klingons did in TOS and it made the tech feel more “real” that they and the Feds, even if their ships looked different, still followed the same rules. Then the movies retcon the D-7’s deflector into a torpedo launcher and the Bird of Prey doesn’t have warp nacelles at all. They got better with the TNG Klingon/Romulan designs as they have nacelles (though still no dish) but basically no one else does except the Jem’Hadar in DS9. Basically every other recurring or alien of the week just makes their ship warp with impulse engines apparently.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it never occurred to me the thing in front of the D7 was supposed to be a deflector.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
I'm pretty sure there are also misanimated scenes where the enterprise shoots torpedoes from the deflector

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

you can transport a torpedo midlaunch in front of the deflector to make it look like its firing. it's a cool trick transporter chiefs like to do when they're bored.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

also, worst offense against deflector-nacelles engineering philosophy must be the cardassians. flying angular blocks with no recognisable engines.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

you can transport a torpedo midlaunch in front of the deflector to make it look like its firing. it's a cool trick transporter chiefs like to do when they're bored.

:riker:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

galagazombie posted:

the Bird of Prey doesn’t have warp nacelles at all. L

I get what you mean in that it's not part of the visual design, yeah, but if anyone's wondering about the techwank, the two humps on the top of the ship are the nacelles. It's one of the many slightly suicidal things about the bird of prey design.

One of the neat little things about the primitive bird of prey design in Enterprise is that the warp engines were in the same place but actually in separated nacelles, they hadn't been integrated into the body yet.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 20, 2024

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

That bulge in the front of Cardassian ships is actually concealing two tiny warp nacelles. They want to sew disinformation about having some mysterious warp field tech we don't understand.

As for the deflector shooting phaser beams... look, buddy. An SFX guy's gotta make a beam come out of somewhere.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

MikeJF posted:

I get what you mean in that it's not part of the visual design, yeah, but if anyone's wondering about the techwank, the two humps on the top of the ship are the nacelles. It's one of the many slightly suicidal things about the bird of prey design.

May you die gloriously in battle, whether by blade or radiation poisoning!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

MikeJF posted:

One of the neat little things about the primitive bird of prey design in Enterprise is that the warp engines were in the same place but actually in separated nacelles, they hadn't been integrated into the body yet.

ahh it has warp cheeks

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Drink-Mix Man posted:

That bulge in the front of Cardassian ships is actually concealing two tiny warp nacelles. They want to sew disinformation about having some mysterious warp field tech we don't understand.

As for the deflector shooting phaser beams... look, buddy. An SFX guy's gotta make a beam come out of somewhere.

so I guess cardassian ships can basically putter around at shuttle speeds because why the gently caress else would other spaceships need full size nacelles then

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cardassian ships do have huge thick wings, it's pretty easy to assume those are warp engines of a slightly different type.

Do they ever shoot out of the orange glowies? Maybe those are deflectors and the blue is just a big gun.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 20, 2024

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Cardassian ships do have huge thick wings, it's pretty easy to assume those are warp engines of a slightly different type.

This ride has Gul wings.

Always been kind of weird to me the Galor-class has the bridge so forward of the ship and elevated. Seems like you're asking to get hosed up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i guess everyone other than starfleet prefers to shield their nacelles over putting them on struts. it seems to work well enough.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

Always been kind of weird to me the Galor-class has the bridge so forward of the ship and elevated. Seems like you're asking to get hosed up.

Who knows, maybe the bridge is in the butt. They're not the Federation, after all, you don't have to put it on the highest spot.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I just googled the whole nacelle thing and learned that the typical starfleet design is called the "cockring outrigger"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I just googled the whole nacelle thing and learned that the typical starfleet design is called the "cockring outrigger"

Cockring Outrigger, 1st Class!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Zefram Cockring

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i guess everyone other than starfleet prefers to shield their nacelles over putting them on struts. it seems to work well enough.

I always figured it was a legacy from the early designs having a tendency to explode violently when anything went wrong. So they stuck them as far away from everything else as they could and it just kinda stuck.

Other races, who have been exploring space for far longer don't bother.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the article i read on cockring outriggers said it's basically a safety thing and more efficient due to some made up reasons like zoot scoops and plasma toots

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

She's my little zoot scoop
You don't know what I got

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Ethan Peck playing Spock implies at some point before looking like Leonard Nimoy he looks like Ashton Kutcher.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ethan Peck playing Spock implies at some point before looking like Leonard Nimoy he looks like Ashton Kutcher.

although to be fair Strange New Worlds Spock looks nothing like Ethan Peck somehow.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Syler Spock

Never trusted 'em

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just assume that, internally, the dangerous, radiated part of the ship between the two nacelles are just full of Obsidian Order interrogation chambers.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Leonard Nemoy got more fan letters than Shatner. A lot more. Enough more that Shat was having an inferiority complex because of it which inflamed his need to steal lines from other actors and be the central spot of every scene he ever appeared in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

:neckbeard: Tim Russ makes an appearance in the Ted series.