Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Breen are more like flexible abs plastic. Greater malleability when heated and then they stiffen up if they stay out of the suits and turn opaque.

Maybe they get along with the Tholians? Hot aliens unite! Retcon they dont mind cardassians because they like it hot too.

Could be a global catastrophe at some point cooled their planet so they all ended up wearing temperature control suits to maintain the prefered translucent state and they just like the secrecy and additional benefits.

Now Im imagining 3d printed Breen.

I didn't mind the new Discovery episode. It's still fantasy action adventure with scifi smeared on. Holy poo poo stop talking about quests and destiny and do some problem solving. But it felt like an improvement. New Jellico seems like a good addition, a more hard nosed edge does a lot to contrast with the other characters well. Having characters actually brainstorm and work the problem. More of that. Show continues to have fun moments, interesting bits, and then just can't get it all to work as scifi. But it feels like its improving every once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Green Breen Salad

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

now i'm just imagining tng running out of budget and worf suddently doesn't have the klingon make up anymore and at the beginning of one episode he's with dr. crusher and she explains it with a line like "well worf the glaxon gorkon virus has changed your appearance, but you are still a mighty klingon"

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

"Look, man, the after market forehead ridges you requested are on back order from Qo'noS so you're gonna look like this for a bit."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Green Breen Salad

lol the hot side stays hot, and the cool side stays cool

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Sedgr posted:

Breen are more like flexible abs plastic. Greater malleability when heated and then they stiffen up if they stay out of the suits and turn opaque.

Maybe they get along with the Tholians? Hot aliens unite! Retcon they dont mind cardassians because they like it hot too.

Could be a global catastrophe at some point cooled their planet so they all ended up wearing temperature control suits to maintain the prefered translucent state and they just like the secrecy and additional benefits.

Now Im imagining 3d printed Breen.

I didn't mind the new Discovery episode. It's still fantasy action adventure with scifi smeared on. Holy poo poo stop talking about quests and destiny and do some problem solving. But it felt like an improvement. New Jellico seems like a good addition, a more hard nosed edge does a lot to contrast with the other characters well. Having characters actually brainstorm and work the problem. More of that. Show continues to have fun moments, interesting bits, and then just can't get it all to work as scifi. But it feels like its improving every once in a while.

I was wondering “what the hell is the point of involving the ISS Enterprise in this?” And then I realized it’s just the SNW set so they didn’t have to make a new one

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

instead of being sympathetic riker would just mock him constantly and tell him he looks handsome; data would say it's ironic that he has endeavored to look human and yet you despise your appearance; picard would sense his distress but instead of a noble picard speech, just tell him to suck it up; alexander would just get put on a shuttle and flown into the sun because he is now dishonored or something

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I just want to say that all that soap opera stuff with the villains was hot poop from a butt. Like amateur romance novel tier stuff.

Is that what Twilight is like? A lot of Discovery is what I imagine Twilight to be.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mulaney Power Move posted:

now i'm just imagining tng running out of budget and worf suddently doesn't have the klingon make up anymore and at the beginning of one episode he's with dr. crusher and she explains it with a line like "well worf the glaxon gorkon virus has changed your appearance, but you are still a mighty klingon"

Worf starts strapping stuff he finds around the ship to his head to compensate, like a turtle shell or a pan flute or a waffle iron.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

davidspackage posted:

Worf starts strapping stuff he finds around the ship to his head to compensate, like a betazoid gift box

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I take the Sacred Chalice and Crystal Gong....

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Worf wearing a knit beanie 24/7 and everyone just assumes he's trying to go undercover.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I just want to say that all that soap opera stuff with the villains was hot poop from a butt. Like amateur romance novel tier stuff.

Is that what Twilight is like? A lot of Discovery is what I imagine Twilight to be.
Disco comes across as YA sci fi to me. The dialog, unconfident and teen-issue laden characters, thin plots all look like it. Then there's the body torture and gore stuff which doesn't add up so who knows.

Having an alien species never shown was a minor but fun gag with the Breen. Funny that the writers and producers of Disco thought yes we are the ones who should cash in on what the they look like under the helmets. It's not a big deal but the ST world is fun having little consistent character bits and traits through the series.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

redshirt posted:

I take the Sacred Chalice and Crystal Gong....

You can't get ye Sacred Chalice!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Disco comes across as YA sci fi to me. The dialog, unconfident and teen-issue laden characters, thin plots all look like it. Then there's the body torture and gore stuff which doesn't add up so who knows.
Also the compulsion to hang your entire show up on connections to That Thing You Already Know.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Also the compulsion to hang your entire show up on connections to That Thing You Already Know.

The Ice Cream Maker of Destiny Effect

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Body torture and gore stuff is a cornerstone of YA sci fi. Haven't you read Animorphs as a teenager?

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Haven't watched Discovery since they did nipple tortures on a space bear thing and then ejected it out into space or something.
Also thanks, I've been giggling about this for a couple days.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Going through puberty can sometimes feel like you’re a tardigrade having its nipples electrocuted.

But hey, It Gets Better.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"Aye, Lad"

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
You know what I’m okay with seeing what the Breen look like. I’m really glad they didn’t try to bite The Mandalorian’s rhyme and have a character who always wears a helmet because it is The Way.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Apollodorus posted:

You know what I’m okay with seeing what the Breen look like. I’m really glad they didn’t try to bite The Mandalorian’s rhyme and have a character who always wears a helmet because it is The Way.

:bighow:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Teenage Breen CW drama about a girl who questions her helmet choices.....

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Apollodorus posted:

I couldn't help think watching all that Breen stuff that some exec was like "Hey, these guys in helmets could be, like, our stormtroopers or Mandalorians."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't have to wear your helmet clan, Dad! (Translated from the Breen)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Haven't watched Discovery since they did nipple tortures on a space bear thing and then ejected it out into space or something.

lol

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Torturing animals to go fast is very Starfleet.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"Nipple Tardigrade" is my new space name

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Nipple torture is part of my species' work ethic and I will thank you to respect my culture.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

gives purple nurple to assess your pagh

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

If the borg got ahold of nipple torture technology, would it turn them into cenobites? Would a spore drive cube become a lament configuration?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

That's one of those things that AI is going to make possible someday. Cenobites in Trek would be interesting dealing with their totally different understanding of morality.

Riker would be into it.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

o’brien solving the puzzle box not knowing what it is

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Space Jam posted:

o’brien solving the puzzle box not knowing what it is

Oh for Christ sakes's you put this here and that there, you twist this thing around thrice, bing bang puzzled solved!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Listen, there's nobody laments like me

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Would the Cenobites feel sorry for O’Brien or would they worship his ability to suffer? Or would they be angry he doesn’t feel pleasure from torment?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

“We have such sights to show you.”

“Feck off, I’ve had my brain stuffed with twenty years of space prison in thirty seconds, you nonces can’t do worse.”

* Some Cenobites look concerned, others jealous, and some swoon *

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Admiralty Flag posted:

“We have such sights to show you.”

“Feck off, I’ve had my brain stuffed with twenty years of space prison in thirty seconds, you nonces can’t do worse.”

* Some Cenobites look concerned, others jealous, and some swoon *

*Have you met Keiko?

*drum roll

HIYO!!!

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Miles would be their crush. They would ask Keiko for pointers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sedgr posted:

Miles would be their crush. They would ask Keiko for pointers.

They would ask for Keiko's autograph and tell her how much they appreciate her craft while gesturing at Miles.