Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Facebook Aunt posted:

As a now middle-aged woman, agreed.
But wouldn't the theme song be superfluous considering Enterprise's lead actor?

"Scott Bakula? Why are you here?"
"Does it really matter, Gayle?"

Nah, his IRL name is Jean-Luc Jr. (Did anyone else think that on first seeing S1-S2 TNG or was that subtext all in my head? An unintended subtext, of course -- in Gene's world we'd all bang our married coworkers and subordinates, but 24th Century birth control never lets a rogue plasma torpedo slip past the deflector shields.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bogus Adventure posted:

Given that you are a blond Klingon, the only logical explanation is that Tasha Yar went back in time and was your mom.

He does not talk about it with outsiders.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Snow Cone Capone posted:

What's the origin of the Riker What The Christ smilie anyway?

By odd coincidence I stumbled across this post earlier today:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3484928#post403667314

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Since we're doing Scotty talk, in case anyone doesn't know -- his actor, Jimmy Doohan, was missing the middle finger on his right hand. They used a hand double for closeups and he was careful to hide it, but you can see it in a couple of scenes if you look quickly.

How did he lose the fingat?

:black101: A machine gun burst on Juno Beach, D-Day :black101:
:black101: :black101: after he personally killed at least two Germans :black101: :black101:

And the bullet that took his fingat?
:black101: :black101: :black101: It would have gone through his chest except it was deflected by Doohan's loving cigarette case. :black101: :black101: :black101:

He quite literally gave the Nazis the finger.* (* Actually it was friendly fire but whatever.)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Snow Cone Capone posted:

can someone ID these because I have no clue except for the Cube, TOS Enterprise and the bottom center one is some sort of Federation shuttle?

Middle is Botany Bay and bottom right is Cardassian Galor (sp?) class

E: and top left/top middle are Rom warbird and Klingon bird of prey umm...ship of some sort that I cant remember

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Apropos of uniform talk, do you guys think Riker used to wear a skant and then Basic Instinct the bridge crew whenever he could, at least until Picard ordered him to knock it off? Because that's my new headcanon.

Imaging being at helm or ops and Riker comes over and plants his outside leg on the bar of your console. You try to keep focused on your LCARS panel, no chance you're going to look at Riker's trombone. Suddenly, a Romulan warbird decloaks and fires, you hear an explosion over your shoulder, and without thinking wheel your head to look, and FFS there it is just flopping there.

"See something you like, Lieutenant?" he asks sotto voce, winks so that only you can see it, spins away slowly enough so that you can see it languidly glide through the shadows as the skant falls to cover it, and then all business he bellows, "Red Alert"...

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Oh no I think I have the hots for Riker now after writing that.

Is Riker turning me bi a violation of the Prime Directive?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bogus Adventure posted:

No, that's just natural when exposed to someone with that level of sexual magnetism.

They have a goddamned bolden 36 point font rule that says not to give primitive civilizations like ours technology that exceeds our wisdom. Why would they expose us to weaponized sexuality that's even more advanced than their technology?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm pretty sure this was discussed in the thread, but I can't remember. I know Forbes was approached for DS9. Did she refuse on David Caruso grounds, that it was time for her to break into movies? Or was it to avoid typecasting?

Sorry, thinking about Riker's 10 Forward (if you know what I mean) has sort of flustered my brain and I don't remember the reason.

e: nthing the Jellicoe love. When they say Starfleet's not a military organization I believe it, because in a real space navy pissbabby Riker would have been court martialled for refusing direct and lawful orders in a theatre of armed conflict (or whatever the JAG-ease is for this).

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 30, 2019

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

lol but seriously I posted:

aint no dicking like a dukat dicking

drat, I never realized that was Alaimo in that scene!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mark Leonard and Mark Alaimo: The real Progenitors

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ghostlight posted:

they're primitive because they don't have any settings between "off" and "millions of tiny piranhas all over you"

I can definitely see the UFP calling weapons without a stun setting primitive. Ooh la di da we're so much more enlightened than the benighted savages with whom we must share the galaxy. Ah well, it is the Terran man's Federation sentient's duty to bring civilization to all because it's better than what those alien mud races have for themselves.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

HD DAD posted:

Enterprise good

Agreed. With 7 seasons, we might have had a great TV show.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pick posted:

dr who reboot has always been 100% shite-o
Pick, I think you usually have really insightful and thoughtful opinions that are a pleasure to read. Key word: usually.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pick posted:

girls!

Flags of Cardassia by Georgia O'Keeffe

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Iron Crowned posted:

Bajoran clits are in the wrong spot.

Not for Bajorans you racist gently caress

Check your Terran privilege

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bogus Adventure posted:

:same:

That episode ruled on so many levels, bruh

Frank Gorshin was the man

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pick posted:

EVERY TOS MOVIE IS GOOD

I'll even admit that I've come to like ST5; even though it's a hot mess it has some great scenes in it and great stuff with the trio. But are you going to tell me the Search for Spock is a better movie than First Contact?

Correct Answer: 10 < 9 < 7 << 3 < (5 = 1 = 8)# < 4 << 2 < 6 [Nominal ranking: 5 < 1 < 8 but it's almost apples & oranges]

But I'm a filthy Dr. Who fan so what do I know?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, it's an action movie with special effects. It's a decent action movie, but it's an action movie with Star Trek decorations that takes the Moby Dick route once more. Unlike Wrath of Khan, where Kirk is the white whale to Khan's Ahab, Picard is the Ahab to the Borg Queen's white whale. Also, First Contact doesn't end with the death of a beloved character, whose potential return is teased at the end of the movie. It's decent, and one of the few TNG movies where I felt good after walking out of the theater, but I don't ever get the hankering to rewatch First Contact like I do with the TOS movies.

However, there are a bunch of Trek goons in this thread who disagree, so ymmv. :shrug:
I think this summarizes it pretty well. It's a Trek movie by trappings, not by substance, but at least it's got some fun stuff in it. However, it's really easy to see how a couple of minor rewrites or producers' notes could have put it square into Picard dune buggying territory.

Alfre Woodard and James Cromwell also do a lot of heavy lifting toward making the film watchable.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What do collectors call the opposite of a chase figurine? 'Cuz I think you found one.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ghostlight posted:

they're not even zombies anymore. like, the whole thing with zombies is they represent a loss of autonomy and humanity - they are a debasement of everything we identify as human. the borg don't even threaten that anymore because you can just go into surgery and pull out the toaster parts and you barely even have ptsd from the thousands of people you killed. post-voyager being borged is like taking some bad acid in a foreign city where sure you're trapped in this deeply unpleasant experience right now but to get through it you just need to keep in mind that at the end of it will be a nice warm hospital bed and a return flight home.

In a slightly different dimension, TNG S4E1 begins not with the inverse graviton pulse failing against the Borg cube, but instead with Picard waking up in a hotel bathtub full of ice. Written in lipstick across the mirror is "Call Dr. Crusher." Picard turns to look at his side and there is a fresh, sloppily stitched incision directly over his kidney ** Horns blare the opening credits music **

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pick posted:

imho the author has done a really job justifying the ship and how its dynamics fit into the b5 universe. I feel no shame about this. i think it's cool she (he? they?) remembered Franklin exists, also.

Hey Pick, if you're browsing sci-if slash on imgur can you just dive back into Trek Tumblr, get inspired, and start up the Trek doodle thread again? It's much missed. TIA

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

lol but seriously I posted:

*a sickly childe is being attended by dr ben. he reassures them they will be well but the parents are all "you can't know that"
*they try kosh who predictably acts all unknowable "the avalanche has already started. it is too late for the pebbles to vote"
*nice tie up at the end about how sometimes breaking orders works out and sometimes it does not

excellent. maybe killing the kid was thematically not necessary but probably it is just me being a soft person. this show is spiritual as all heck but not in a dumb way. i legitimately have no idea what the right thing to do was in this situation this is the deep real poo poo. all my babylon :five:s

This is legit one of my favorite quotes of all time, sci-fi or not. Not amazingly versatile but when it works it's gold.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Brawnfire posted:

Looking for the waste-sucker room at your friend's house, you wander into a room full of pillows. There's a mattress in there that's like a normal one, but it's all SOFT and SPRINGY. There's not even anyplace to secure restraints.

You just back out. Thrang, you kinky motherfucker. Who knew.

"Oh sailor, you wanna spoon? Well, that's gonna be extra."

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Whereas Damar has three cocktail recipes:

(1) Kanar neat: Pour kanar into glass. Drink. Neat!
(2) Dirty Kanar: Pour kanar into same glass you've been using all night because someone used all the highball glasses drinking kanar and never got around to washing them.
(3) Kanar up: put mouth of kanar bottle on lips. Lift back of kanar bottle up. Walla!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's Ellen Cleghorn playing Guinan. I'm sort of struck by how bad the skit was. Not just bad writing, but subpar work from all the cast except Tim Meadows, Cleghorn, Sweeney, (can't believe I'm going to say this) Rob Schneider, and Al Franken (who I think was the Ferengi). Farley's Riker walk was funny (always walk as though you have to batter a door down with the side of your forehead!) but he big time flubbed at least one cue/line. Oh man I forgot how bad a cast member Melanie Hutzel was.

Sucky civilians: not just the administrators (don't forget the guy on K-7 in Trouble with Tribbles!) but the ambassadors too. Fox is the only terrible one I can remember specifically but I'm p sure there's at least one other terribad (not counting Sarek who's awesome and the various aliens from Journey to Babel).

I was having trouble winding down tonight, nothing on TV, didn't want to start something new so I watched Take Me Out to the Holosuite. I've only seen it once before, maybe 10 years ago. Good but not as great as I remembered (Magnificent Ferengi will be my next DS9 45 minute time waster); it was notable because there was no real B story to the plot.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

naem posted:

Keiko is your typical over 30 grad student who got top scores across the board, brilliant, knocks down every academic hurdle there is, gets selected for the flag ship of the fleet (they want the beat of the best!) only guess what? no plants on the ship.

sure they’re exploring space but they’re not stopping for plants are they. Just a sterile boat, a cruise ship really, and she’s not getting any younger

is she ever even going to have kids? how can she even get married? to who, one of these rikers?? yeah they want to settle down with and “old maid” sure

oh god

oh god i’m trapped

i’m trapped on a BOAT OH GOD this ISNT what I WANTED!

Plus it's the fricking Enterprise so you know there's been like seven times in the last month where they've discovered heretofore unknown sentient plant life and it's always like, "Hey Keiko, we know you're the top botanist around, but Ensign Sonak from Security? He was on the Away Team, and did you know he just happens to have a PhD in exobotany from before he joined Starfleet? Yeah, it's his hobby, and since he's a Starfleet officer, so we thought it would be safer for him to do the initial analysis. I'm sure he'll let you look at his notes, maybe review the paper he's submitting to the Vulcan Science Academy's conference..."

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Temper Trudeau posted:

Love that Joker.
:lol:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Xenocides posted:

He trashed it over a contract dispute. They hired Wah Chang to get them a model but he was non-union and the union objected. Wah and the Star Trek production staff argued they bought it off the shelf instead of commissioning it but that was dubious and the union had evidence this was not the case. The union agreed to drop the dispute if Wah was not paid for the model and the studio gave the model back. In a fit of understandable pique Wah took the model into his back yard and smashed it with a sledge hammer.

As an SFU game player it gave us the delightful Romulan Kestrel ships to fly so I am glad it happened though I feel bad for Wah. :(

Another fun fact: The Romulans are based on the Romans because the writer’s kid was learning about Romans in school. :3:
ADB/TFG creating stuff for the SFU because of licensing limitations led to some really interesting ideas. Too bad SFB is basically unplayable unless you wish to see yourself turn into a grognard in real-time.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Xenocides posted:

Tell that to the archaeologist thief of Risa or his music-playing head of Astrophysics or to Beverly.

:wiggle:

Or Guinan. Remember she tells Riker to throw away his idea of Picard because she knows he's lost to the Borg, and she knows because they were close "beyond friends or family".

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

^^. e: C'mon, you know it would be Geordi after he went into Data's quarters to borrow some polyhedral dice without permission.

Pick posted:

i like to think it is one of earth's great exports and now there are cats on andoria and vulcan

But on Vulcan the cats already have six inch fangs

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Or one day the humans all as one reach up, unzip their skin suits, and cats come pouring out

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm sure you'll be thrilled when they do the episode where Tilly fucks one.

Only if it's from an Irish sex candle

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

tin can made man posted:

oh hey kai winn showing up as an admiral in an episode called "The Emissary", that's cute

Not quite...different actress. But I can see the resemblance.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0425133/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t11

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PenisMonkey posted:

The Irish like to be loving miserable. Miles has is raising two of Riker's kids.

FTFY

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Baronjutter posted:

Fact: At the beginning of every Voyager shoot Berman would force all the human actors to stand in a special "blanding room" for an hour to attempt to make them as bland as possible. The rooms were beige and filled with a gas that to this day Berman refuses to identify but actors said it made them feel sleepy and dissociated.

The gas was Beltran and Wang hotboxing

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Arcsquad12 posted:

Speaking of Season 2s, I'm onto Season 2 of Battlestar. While I quite enjoyed most of season 2 on my first watch, I forgot how much the stuff on Kobol dragged on forever and ever. Did we really need five consecutive episodes of Crashdown being totally incompetent?
Totally worth it though because of the scene where the whiteboard count goes down by one because Baltar frags him.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i like this idea

Goes a long way toward explaining why they're policing deLancie-Q and taking away his powers. If they're trying to ascend/sublimate/whatever, having a moral failure like deLancie-Q in the continuum drags down the Ethical Average or whatever, but then "Holy crap, he's sacrificing himself for the greater good! Reintegrate him so he brings our average up!"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

barbecue at the folks posted:

Does anyone have any corroboration for this story? Its the best thing to come out of the entire show, lol
Look at any photos of either of them behind the scenes, especially S5+. They were definitely Delta Flyin', if you know what I mean. But no, no hard proof that I know of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pick posted:

on any Day Riker eats everything