Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I have never driven or even been in a car with a manual transmission

Hey, don't feel too bad. Even Captain Kirk had no idea how to drive a stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Dear Starfleet Command,

Today we found some space hippies. The space hippies played us a song and then they hijacked our ship to a planet called Eden but the planet was all acid and it burned their feet (ow!). Also a guy named Adam died on Eden from taking a bite of a fruit, har har. Oh, and they called me a Herbert. I don't like space hippies.

Love,
Captain James T. Kirk

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

My guess is a Full Betazoid with The Sum Totality of Their Psychic Powers would go back to that poster saying it would solve all the plot.

And also probably a carryover from Spock, maybe a way to bridge early Data's quest for humanity as well
"As a HALF HUMAN I've also pondered the importance of blahbhhhhhh"

Troi never really went for the "torn between two worlds" thing, though. Yeah, her Betazoid powers were kind of gimped by her human half, but she didn't really fret about that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Met posted:

Ears are hard, man. Nipples are easy. He probably didn't want her feeling like she was loving a ken doll.

Reminder that Odo's uniform was a shapeshifted extension of his body. He was just walking around starkers all the time. There wasn't anything under those beige velour trousers except changeling goo. He pretty much WAS a Ken doll.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Automatic Slim posted:

Come to think of it, like GoT or BSG, have major characters die and pick up new ones on the way would've been excellent. Janeway dying mid way through the second season should've been the way to go.

They kind of did that though, at least once. Kes didn't exactly die, but eh, close enough. And in an astonishing coincidence, this happened at almost exactly the same time they picked up Seven.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

criscodisco posted:

He called it a cum fart but I know warp tech when I see it.

um excuse me it's called a bio-neural gel pack

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Not as good as Voyager

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

FrensaGeran posted:

Does anyone remember that old review of sub rosa? It goes through the whole story in excruciating detail and eventually reveals it to be an Anne Rice ripoff.

I can't find it.

Was it the Agony Booth review of it?

http://www.agonybooth.com/article-groups/star-trek-the-next-generation-sub-rosa

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tighclops posted:

They didn't really do cg set extensions until later in the series

And until that happened, it was all paintings on the back wall to make the corridor look longer, all the time!

Sometimes they looked fine:

Even if they tended to touch up and reuse the same painting over and over:

But other times the painting was very obviously a painting:

And sometimes they forgot that the painting can only be shot from certain angles:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This goes back to the TNG tech manual where they said the warp nacelles were by far the densest parts of the ship. The warp coils are supposedly loving massive.

So in theory, whenever the ship gets knocked around by Q or Tin Man or whatever and goes sailing off in a flat spin, it should be spinning around the nacelles instead of around a point more-or-less in the middle of the ship.

... We're putting more thought into this than the show runners ever did, aren't we?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

There are people who literally would like just the battle scenes from Battlestar Galactica interspersed with ads for energy drinks.

There are fans who make those for themselves -- they computer render really long, really neat-looking battle sequences featuring the starships from their favorite sci-fi universe(s).

Some people love them. I've never even made it all the way through one, even though I usually love the big space battles. (I could watch Enterprise vs. Reliant or the battle of New Caprica all day.) But without even the barest hint of storyline other than "the Romulan warbirds are attacking and those Excelsiors are the defense", there's absolutely nothing to hold my interest. The special effects in these things can be surprisingly decent, and I'm sure the creator thought of all kinds of clever tactics to have the ships do. But I don't actually CARE.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Apollodorus posted:

It's shown in the cross-section.

Truth. Count the cores:

For a full discussion of this and many other Voyager inconsistencies (such as just how many shuttles and torpedoes they burned through over the years), see this page. For crew inconsistencies (i.e. they went through HOW many redshrts but always somehow had a full crew complement?), there's another entire page for that.

You know what, I'm just going to link to the impressively long master list of all these investigations: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies.htm

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The Endbringer posted:

In the episode with the spore plants that make everyone happy, Spock tells that girl who loves him that he has another name but she "wouldn't be able to pronounce it"

Once the actress who played Amanda was at a convention, and during the Q&A, the fans begged her to tell them what Spock's first name was, since if anyone would know it would be his mom, right?

She paused for a long moment, then with a perfectly straight face, she said "Harold" and moved on to the next question.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i'm about ready to voyage into the final frontier

ST5?

... - .- -. -.. / -... .- -.-. -.-

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

yeah, Kirk was a man about things. He fell to his knees for his sons death then never cared or cried again.

Technically he fell to his butt, but the point stands.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ds9 is superior to voyager because they not only had a juggler onscreen but also a fire breather

Know what else had a juggler? That holodeck program of the COLONY OF FREE SPIRITS that Lwaxana took Alexander to that one time so they could take mud baths.

It also featured this thing...

FREE SPIRITS, everyone!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Voyager bros recommend me a fresh Voyager episode

Living Witness was actually interesting and fun.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

CharlieWhiskey posted:

False Profits 3x05

That's the Voyager one. If the TNG one is what you were looking for, it's The Price, 3x08.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

criscodisco posted:

There was also that crappy plink-plonk music that Riker recreated using the shield harmonics when he was trapped on a (I think) Romulan ship.

Romulan? Really? Just look how incredulous Tog is at you:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

There was a companion series around at the same time Andromeda was launched that was also a Roddenberry, right? All I can remember is TekWar (which is wrong) but the other series was about Earth being at peace with Aliens who visited but they're not on the level or something

Earth: Final Conflict. I never watched it but I remember the marketing really playing up that it was developed from something that Roddenberry had once scrawled on a napkin.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MrSlam posted:

If Beastie Boys and Public Enemy are classical artists it makes you wonder if they named any ships or installations after any other artists

USS Bizkit

The USS Milli Vanilli has an elaborate false history to cover the fact that it's used by Section 31.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

:psylon:

(did they get rid of the razz cylon?)

:awesomelon:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Volcott posted:

Alright, you've convinced me, thread. I'll rewatch DS9.

When does Sisqo go bald?

When the show hits its stride.

Sisko's head is sort of an inverse Riker's beard.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

I like to imagine somewhere on Vulcan there are a bunch of guys who are constantly giving Sarek poo poo. The loving pedo married a god drat 26 year old literal infant.

Just imagine the bathroom graffiti on Vulcan.

"Sarek's choice of mate is illogical"
"Andorians are unpleasant company"
"For a satisfactory coupling, contact T'Pring"
"Here I sit with the penance of a self-flaggelant / Attempted to excrete but was merely flatulent"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

RVWinkle posted:

This thread is now about Porthos, Janeway's Dogs that she abandoned on earth, and that alien that pretended to be a dog so that it could eat LaForge.

E: Worf's childhood pet Targ discussion is allowed too.

What about the Alfa 177 canine?

Poor thing died of having its good and evil halves put back together. :(

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Germstore posted:

No. No. According to memory alpha it creates molecule size bubbles. DNA is out the window because it operates at an atomic scale.

So you're saying we have to adopt a holographic orphan.

Which will vanish if it ever tries to leave the holodeck, no matter how much we love it.

Cool, got it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Or nemesis was just horribly written by people who didn't know startrek at all and just tossed him in a uniform because they sort of remember him in a uniform during the show.

I think in the original script, Wesley steps out of the Traveler's windowless van an alternate dimension, expecting a Betazoid wedding and dressed approrpiately (i.e. starkers). Since it was like two minutes before the wedding started, they handed him the only formalwear they had lying around, a starfleet dress uniform.

So they kind of explained it, a little, but it was one of the many things that ended up on the cutting room floor in favor of more Remans.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

VectorSigma posted:

i just happen to be watching the ds9 s1 episode with q and vash

The cheesy western TV show The Young Riders was on at the same time as TNG, and there's an episode that guest stars both Q and Vash. Vash plays an ex-prostitute and Q plays the creepy rapist villain who drives her to suicide. So hey, they had something to talk about while making the DS9 episode.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I'm Jean-Luc Picard, but the one that didn't get stabbed in the bar fight.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

If you were named Rod Roddenberry, wouldn't you be a shithead?

Either that or an announcer on The Price Is Right.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Fat Shat Sings posted:

if it's the typical "improve voyager" effort post it's going to be like "blahblah make it have stakes blahblah battlestar galactica blah resets blah supply constraints blah year of hell blah actors allowed to act blah"

Okay then, let's come up with new ones.

Voyager should have been a musical. Like Cop Rock, but done right, and also in space. With Delta Quadrant themed songs, like rap battles between Kazon factions.
What Voyager really needed was gritty realism. Like in a typical episode they fly to New York and it's 1971 and Harry witnesses a murder but if he testifies the Mob will come after him.
Four little words: gratuitous Neelix nude scene.

Go!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Why cookie Rocket posted:

When DID they decide that Worf was raised on earth anyway? Because he sure as poo poo is written and acted as a 100% born and raised Klingon dude for the first couple seasons.

Except according to early TNG, he grew up with his adopted (human) parents on a farm world called Gault.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I guess it was alright for the shows writers to use current at the time paradoxes and mysteries since creating one wouldn't have been relate able "Gorblox's Theorum of Gnn'ggh!" but suggesting something would remain unsolved for 350 more years is funny when we solve it 20 years later.

Six years, actually. But you know what, I'll allow it. There's ZERO chance that Fermat used the same reasoning as Wiles did. So if Fermat had an actual proof in mind, it relied on reasoning that we still haven't figured out. (Personally I think the most likely explanation is that Fermat was just mistaken, and if he'd actually written down what he was thinking about, he would have gone "aw gently caress, that doesn't actually work after all, does it". But then I might be wrong.)

And besides, Jadzia Dax once remarked that Tobin's approach to the problem was "the most original approach to the proof since Wiles over 300 years ago." The proof had been published only a month before that episode aired.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Triggered posted:

When they separate the saucer how did it receive power? Warp cores on the fat bit right, how did the saucer section manage to power impulse engines, weapons and Shields?

There's a bunch of galley slaves chained to oars down on deck 17.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tragically, USS Boombox was lost with all hands on a bus in San Francisco, thanks to a Vulcan neck pinch.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It turns out all of Star Trek is just in the imagination of an autistic boy staring into a snow globe

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Who would win in a fight:
Spot vs Porthos

Livingston. :colbert:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I'm gonna commission an oil painting of this

It had better be on black velvet.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

shadow puppet of a posted:

Ok maybe she can if her estate was iron clad

Majel's will left four million dollars and a mansion to her pet dogs.

(Really.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

b) why does siskos dad have waiters. do people volunteer to take lovely jobs for no reason in the 24th century? are they roleplaying a 20th century wageslave?

It's their fetish.