Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Otoh Seven had the emotional maturity of an (at best) eight year old and was essentially an autistic girl trying to discover sex for the first time. Turning her down was really the only ethical thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Bashir & O'Brien: Battles Throughout History

> Battle of Britain
> Battle of Clontarf
> Battle of the Alamo
> Battle of Thermopylae

I think those are all the ones they specifically mentioned; presumably there were many others too.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Nerds like B5 because of a) space battles, b) space war, c) continuity, and d) occasional lampshading of sci-fi tropes. That's it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

JediTalentAgent posted:

That's the crazy thing, too. I really liked it, and it's sort of a plot that I think could have easily worked with the TOS or TNG crew, too.

TNG, though, probably would have spent about 1/2 the episode wringing their hands over the Prime Directive, and TOS probably would have had to have figured out a way to add some more action to it or something or more directly involve the main crew or have it unfold over a slower period of time (a year passing in an hour rather than 1 day a second) to get the main cast a way to get down to the surface for short periods to try to interact.

Part of the reason it's easy to imagine it as a TOS episode is that the Voyager episode is called Blink of an Eye and the TOS one is called Wink of an Eye.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

FilthyImp posted:

The Federation is an enlightened civilization. We've moved past such primitive concerns such as getting turnt or feeling krunk.

:confused:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Voyager has an exceptionally good theme and title sequence. Often it's the best part of the episode.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yes she makes sense given that one of O'Brien's functions in the narrative is to experience constant suffering.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Naxuz posted:

Was O'Brien's neverending misery ever explained? Were the writers just "well, we need to show that not everyone is happy in the future space utopia, let's start piling poo poo upon the pudgy Irishman"?

Yeah, he was supposed to be the Everyman who falls through the cracks in the spas utopia, despite being a good guy who doesn't do anything wrong.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

criscodisco posted:

There was the episode where Neelix was dead for like 7 hours but then brought back with Borg technology thanks to 7 of 9. He promptly had a meltdown because he didn't see Talaxian heaven.

If he's that concerned with souls, shouldn't be have been at least a bit upset that he was able to merge souls with another being and then separate without issue?

That's so loving funny because almost every other alien afterlife turns out to be 100% real.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Lol just lol if you think I didn't remember the details of that episode. That one is the main reason I said "almost every other"

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I think then you run into the problem that it's not relatable enough - which is often why the technology on Trek is never taken to its logical conclusion.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

criscodisco posted:

Right, like how they never had Janeway dyke out with 7 of 9.

Yeah but in that case I think what would have happened is Mulgrew would have killed Ryan in her trailer and buried the body in the desert rather than do that storyline.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Star Trek: Voyageur

Well punned.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Krieger-san! :swoon: :swoon:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

naem posted:

Computer, bring up holo-bridge, now run protocol "nude Tane"

You want this guy naked on your bridge?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Well, he already knows what YOU look like naked.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Lol just lol if you think the head of the Obsidian Order doesn't have copies of all your nudes.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
It was thoroughly in character for Kent to be a DS9 fan and dismiss most other Trek, yes.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Moridin920 posted:

Maybe they're just super open handed with their friends and super brutal to their enemies?

Idk they kinda treated the Cardassians like poo poo though.

Yeah but that was because a lot of them had been duped into believing they were fighting against a covert Dominion incursion into the AQ. And more so when they were fighting against an overt one.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
So, if I teleport - or as we say in Trek, "beam" - my computer to the UK then I can watch it on Netflix, right?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

shadow puppet of a posted:

Fact. Ezri was an androgynous J'naii, not a Trill. Her discomfort with the Dax symbiant was physiologically induced and her spots came from an undiagnosed reaction to lokar beans. Trill surgeons are lazy like NHS boob jobs, they just hastily cut a flap in you and slide the plastic lump right in.

please :nms: that poo poo next time, jfc

Ezri looks kind of like my wife, though my wife is several inches taller. Similar mole though.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Of course! Even had an Asian love interest who turned out to be terrible.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I don't know whether to be excited that that retarded looking ship means it's probably not AATrek universe, or disappointed that it's probably the worst space ship I think I've ever seen in relation to star trek.

Not even mentioning the music video CGI.

Wow, I sure hope it's not in the Aatrek universe. I do not need full-on kiddy diddling in Star Trek.

Those effects have GOT to be placeholders - which makes me wonder if people making this show have seriously poor judgment for showing it in public.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Baka-nin posted:

Yes it was, and no it didn't, it looked worse. Babylon 5 never got that bad :colbert:

Are you kidding?

:barf:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
But have you got the science down to being a drunk in the middle of nowhere?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
What about "The Invisible Man" from Sci Fi?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Wow. Glad I didn't watch it, then.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

y/n ?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Still better than being a Philly cop.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
That is shown to be objectively false in literally the first appearance of the Borg, dude.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Iron Crowned posted:

Well, they only use it when the saucer section has been separated, and nope, it's still right on top at that point.

Remember how in TNG they had to separate the ship so often that they couldn't be bothered to say the whole name of the process and just called it "saucer sep" and "autosep"?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Iron Crowned posted:

or putting it into a good movie

:drat:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah I couldn't handle that. I wish they'd just done a Data-style effect.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
If I were a Star Trek spaceship I would be the Excelsior because its paint scheme matches my eyes.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Captain Proton is awesome. I will space-fight you

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

is Captain Proton more like Bashir Bond thing or a Wormhole Xtreme sort of thing

Bashir Bond, for sure

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Figaro posted:

Okay! As long as I get Constance Goodheart (Seven) you're stuck with Buster Kincaid (Harry Kim)

Seven cheats though, wouldn't be fair

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Do you all remember the episode where a facsimile of Geordi's mom appears?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

poo poo this actually happens?

Yeah it's a S7 episode so largely forgettable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interface_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
People liked TNG much more than any of the other shows, possibly including TOS.