Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

genesplicer posted:

No, illustration/design. He did most of the ships/interiors in voyager, as well as the displays. He got his Emmy for Carl Sagan's "Cosmos".

You know Rick Sternbach? :monocle:

And honestly, yeah the writing was dogshit most of the time, but Voyager really was very competently produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

pretty sure 7-of-9 is solely responsible for my skintight clothing fetish. never watched ds9 but this ezri lady is pretty fine

please god remove catsuits from your plan for space opera

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blistex posted:

Also by the end of season II they went from "fledgling Earth ship" to "toughest mutherfuckers in space" because 9/11 happened and America collectively lost its goddamn minds

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Luxury Communism posted:

Daily reminder that Commander Chipotle was literally John Redcorn from King of the Hill in outer space.

No joke King of the Hill was probably more respectful towards Native Americans than Star Trek Voyager.

That's because Voyager managed to hire a total charlatan and fraud as their advisor on Native Americans.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Volcott posted:

Was Janeway bipolar.

Not really, the producers just couldn't decide on how her character should be written, and instead of getting all the writers and producers together and hammering out a consensus they just all went off and wrote her the way they individually wanted to.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shadow puppet of a posted:

She lost a beauty contest to Harry Kim IRL and was sent off in a shuttle craft to the ugly nebula.

he's not kidding. the Voyager producers basically didn't want to pay for another useless character nobody wanted to write for, so they were getting ready to fire Garrett Wang to make room for Seven of Nine when suddenly some bullshit magazine list comes out and ranks him one of the Top 50 Sexiest Men Of The Year or something inane like that. so they instead decided to fire Jennifer Lien instead, because obviously there must be people watching just because he's so hunky.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

criscodisco posted:

The time he got an STD from some alien chick should have been a tentacle rape scene

yeah and the one time he actually got laid janeway completely busted his balls

like i think she even basically said "if it was tom paris i wouldn't really give a poo poo but i am very disappointed in you, mister!!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
If Voyager was just a poo poo show nobody would care about it so much, the thing that drove every Trek fan up the wall was that it started out with a brilliant loving premise and setup that then instantly got pissed away so they could just alternate between rehashing TNG scripts and doing stupid ratings stunts for Paramount's abortion of a TV network.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

criscodisco posted:

But it won a daytime Emmy or something.

It got an Emmy for makeup.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shadow puppet of a posted:

Still can't believe Picard was such a dick to him with that "you're drinking the gift I got Guinan" passive aggressive poo poo.

I wish I could interview at least one or two of the late-TNG writers, because one of the questions I would love to ask is "so did you guys ever pick up on how weirdly cliquey you started to write the cast?"

Also "did you guys set about making the Enterprise a flying death trap on purpose, or did that just kind of happen?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Monkey Fracas posted:

oh my god the episode where in their Lust For Coffee they accidentally bust open an enormous intergalactic organism's skin and then decide they have to go back in in there and fix it is ridiculous but somehow boring at the same time

Neelix the waaaaacky furry guy remarks how stupid it is at multiple points in the episode and I'm like "yeah that's right Comedy Relief Character this is dumb as hell"

my favorite is an early episode (maybe the second or third episode?) when the doctor's all "i need to talk to the captain"

"oh uh the captain's missing"

"the captain... is missing... *sigh* seems this really is the voyage of the damned."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Automatic Slim posted:

Remember, waste matter is transformed into food. Everything replicated is just transformed waste matter.

rabbit eats grass
wolf eats rabbit
wolf shits on ground
poo poo fertilizes grass
rabbit eats grass

the circle of life, man. that glass of water in your hand might have been dinosaur piss eons ago.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

papa_november posted:

even better is that the amiga 4000 video toaster/sgi indigo/sun ultrasparc/dec alpha that all the effects assets were kept on got tossed out and will likely never be recovered so we're pretty much stuck with that for all eternity

on the flipside the 50-pin scsi hard drive containing all the ds9 sfx assets got found but apparently not much will be done with them anytime soon because every man, woman and child in the western hemisphere did not buy a copy of the tng blurays

i dunno how much effort those old assets would have ultimately saved, though. i mean, can you just take old video toaster files and stick them in modern software and click "set resolution to 1920x1080" and render?

honestly even if TNG blurays had done mindblowingly good and even if the digital assets were fully preserved, there's still a really good chance Warner Bros wouldn't have been bothered to lift a finger. not only was B5 never as popular, but WB in general never seemed to like B5 all that much. there was some really weird and nasty corporate politics going on with WB and the "PTEN" unit that B5 belonged to.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 29, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also i'd wonder at how well the B5 film got catalogued and archived. Paramount was pretty good about saving all the film from TNG and even that project had trouble tracking down the right film segments sometimes. it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Warner Bros accidentally discarded literally threw the film into a bonfire.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bollig posted:

Season 5 episode 9:

Tom is thrown in the brig and reduced to the rank of ensign because he attempts to help people doing the right thing against an authoratative government.

What's hilarious is that they re-promote him to Lieutenant and Harry stays an Ensign to the very end, because "someone's got to be the Ensign" and the Voyager producers hated actual change on the show or something.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

papa_november posted:

Yeah, I get the feeling that B5's effects would look even cheesier at anything beyond 480i. They're also simple enough to redo given a big enough budget.

B5's render farm was Amiga-based for the pilot, then went to faster machines (SGIs etc) as the show went on. Not sure if it was all done in Lightwave for the duration of the show.

I do still kind of appreciate what the remastering did to TNG - sometimes you got to see how wooden the sets were, but other times you got to see all those great easter eggs (I swear half of those LCARS displays were printing out anime summaries). It certainly didn't detract from the show.

Yeah, I don't feel like the TNG sets really suffered that badly from high-def. Like, okay, sometimes you see some imperfections... but so what, we all know it's a show anyway.

And, yeah, Rick Sternbach was a big anime fan - there are Dirty Pair references all over the show, to the point where he even blatantly uses Nanmo as a model not once but twice:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The real benefit to TNG HD was the color correction. No more magenta uniforms.

Absolutely. I tell people, look, even if you don't have a fancy bigscreen, hell even if you're watching on some old tube television, the blurays are going to look SO much better because it's not the pink haze in the first couple seasons and you're not going to have the effects artifacting from the video editing process they used. (Which isn't a slam on TNG - it was crucial in helping them control costs when it was made)

Which is why it was so painful to see my friends posting "oh yeah, watching TNG again on Netflix!" when the blurays were coming out. :gonk:

criscodisco posted:

Not really. Everyone either hung out in the dining hall or the old timey Irish town.

On TNG, while Ten-Forward was always supposed to be there, the original designs had lots of smaller social areas around the saucer section. I believe the idea was small lounges and coffee house type places, things like that.

I believe it was cut for budgetary reasons, but I can't quite remember.

Yeah, set construction is heinously expensive, and even on a show as lavishly budgeted as TNG, a new set could still mean you don't get to do something else that's even cooler. Battlestar Galactica only got to introduce the Pegasus because of a Lost in Space pilot that failed to sell, so BSG was able to scavenge and redress the sets.

What about when TNG did their poker games, though? Was that in anyone's actual living quarters? Maybe that was intended to be set in a little side lounge.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Decrepus posted:

posted from the Battle Bridge

there's that episode Disaster where the ship gets completely hosed up and Picard is stuck in an elevator with some kids because they were going to take a tour of the ship with ~*the Captain*~ when poo poo went down

and at the beginning, before everything went spoon-faced, one of the kids asks "hey can we see the photon torpedoes, or the battle bridge??" and Picard basically says "uh... nnnno... but we're totally going to see the arboretum!"

then at the end of the episode Captain Picard says "I think it's time for that tour... starting with the battle bridge." and the kids' faces light up, it's such a sweet moment

most of the TNG episodes with little kids are godawful, but that one was pretty decent

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BattleMaster posted:

My favourite part of DS9 is that they had to start writing Gul Dukat as an insane madman because Marc Alaimo is so charismatic that people actually believed Dukat's bullshit.

Also so charismatic that at least some of the DS9 writers were seriously considering having Dukat and Kira somehow wind up in a consensual relationship (or at least a consensual bang session).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the idea behind synthehol was supposed to be that it tastes just like the real thing, doesn't give you a hangover, even gets you buzzed as gently caress if you want, but you can just "shake it off" and sober up at will if you need to (like if there's a red alert or if you want to be able to give sober and informed consent or w/e). either gene roddenberry or david gerrold even thought that it had been invented by the Ferengi - the idea being that it lets you have both the social lubricant of intoxication, and the sobriety for not getting hosed over in a business negotiation.

but then some dipshit writers got in and decided that it would be cooler to cast it as this knockoff bud-lite thing that nobody prefers to "the real thing". it's the same kind of ~*artisanally handcrafted*~ bullshit sentiment we rightfully mock today, but in the space-future.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Crowsbeak posted:

I always thought all the TNG movies were flawed. But why the hell didn't they have Sela as the villain in that?

because John Logan can't write a fuckin' laundry list

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FrensaGeran posted:

Everyone hates Neelix cause he's comic relief but people forget the time he ordered a crew member to desecrate the burial mound of a primitive culture to make weapons from the bones.

lol what episode was that, i think i need to watch skim that one

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

whoflungpoop posted:

'women love equality' - some guy in the 80s

gene roddenberry once said "yes, we use women as sex objects. we also use men as sex objects. i've been used as a sex object myself, it's great fun."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lord of Pie posted:

Geordi was such a creeper that he was the only person to get a promotion in seven years and they still couldn't get him off the ship

Worf also got promoted from Lieutenant junior-grade to full Lieutenant. Geordi just got promoted really quickly early on.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Booblord Zagats posted:

Didnt data and worf get promoted to?

Data never got promoted. He started the series a Lieutenant Commander and died the same rank.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Volcott posted:

I thought the rub was they could make artificial human organs, but they didn't know enough about Neelex's species to do it right.

(Still enough to make holographic organs, though?)

I think with the... ugh... holographic organs, it's less "we made actual holographic copies of Talaxian lungs" and more "the holographic forcefields are just doing the gas exchange work in place of the organs that should be there". Easier to use the forcefields to do the mechanical task than to create biological cellular structures that will function properly and be compatible with the rest of Neelix's body.

Or at least, that would have been a sensible-enough explanation. I'm sure Voyager's writers found ways to be dumber, though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Automatic Slim posted:

That sounds about right.

So let me get this straight… they can take a hair sample from Dr. Pulaski's brush and compare it with her last transporter records and filter out terrible space diseases, but Neelix gets stuck with the photonic lung?

For that matter, can they just keep a file of changes every time someone uses a transporter. Going down the rabbit hole, there shouldn't be any obesity in the 24th century. "Looks like Counselor Troi and Riker are fighting again. She's been hitting the chocolate sundaes hard this week. Let's just subtract a few molecules from the rematerialization buffer. "

any time the transporter gets used to fix someone, you should assume it's a one-off that's never going to be mentioned again because the writers wanted some terrible poo poo to happen to someone they couldn't actually write off the show

although that said TNG did reuse (or at least reference) several of the technotricks they pulled out of their rear end.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Roylicious posted:

lmao if that doesn't give you some psychological issues I dunno what will.

I'm imagining a scene where Julian runs into Keiko in the turbolift or whatever, and blithely mentions "oh yeah that perfect clone of O'Brien? His dying words were that he loved you. Isn't that romantic? :buddy:"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Sphinxster posted:

I am not tng savvy enough to cite instances but it was frustrating that he had this encyclopedic knowledge and they would still have these "lol, androids right?" moments of incompetence. It just doesn't make sense.

I dunno. There's still a couple of possibilities:

- Ol' Oftenwrong Soong uploaded vast sums of information into Data, but was aware enough to know that idioms shift and change over the years, so he programs Data to feign ignorance as a means of updating his cultural database in a way that doesn't have him contradicting people and coming across as an often-wrong know-it-all. Hell, look at what happens when he thinks he knows the right answer and tells Captain Jean-Luc Picard that French is a dead obscure language. :v:

- Data's vast encyclopedic knowledge is separate from his personality, if that makes any sense; he's got a running memory that includes things like "Counselor Troi likes ice cream" or "Baldy and Beardy outrank me and can give me orders", but when presented with something substantially different like archaic slang or "can we do a saucer separation while the warp engines are running flat-out" he has to either ask around or do an internal library search which costs extra cycles - and since asking both A) returns the most current information, and B) presents a closer emulation of humanoid behavior (which is what he's designed to do), that's what he chooses when he thinks it'll produce results.

That said, it is an inconsistent behavior. I'm pretty sure the writers usually just went with whichever felt funnier for a given scene. (So obviously, Soong designed Data to be funny in the context of being a character on a space opera...)

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 6, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cthulu Carl posted:

Miles tells Keiko about the duplicate O'Brien and she's all "Yeah, he was much better in bed, so I knew something was up and that you'd eventually spoil it."

As I recall, she actually specifically avoided physical intimacy with clone-Miles.

(Please, tell me there's at least one other poster in this thread who thinks "LOL KEIKO IS SUCH A RAGING BITCH, AM I RITE??" is completely played out.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

vortmax posted:

How did Q get that so wrong?

well keep in mind that Q was trying to tempt Riker with god powers, so it's entirely possible that when Riker cast "make 10 years older" Q quietly curveballed it a little and altered the image completely

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

maybe we should structure the thread so as to have no continuity between posts so new readers arent confused?

I suggest we use a tractor beam to alter the thread's trajectory. :geno:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Police Automaton posted:

I remember the website of a sort of disgruntled technical/science advisor for TNG writers who talked about how he got largely ignored. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Yeah, it was Krieger Waves.

quote:

n the course of two years, the writers at ST:TNG (under the direction of co-Executive Producer Michael Piller) ignored probably a good 60% of everything I had to say, and that was just in the technical realm. I did my best to restrain the growth of the Star Trek particle zoo, but the writing staff, particularly during Season Four (1990-91) seemed addicted to the "Particle of the Week" syndrome.

In 1990 I finished my master's degree at UCLA. At the beginning of the fifth season of ST:TNG, when I was working at the RAND Corporation in Santa Monica, I phoned Michael Piller to ask for a screen credit, and was instead told that they "wouldn't be renewing the position." (However, another science advisor, Naren Shankar was hired, with screen credit, a while afterward.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rocket_man38 posted:

So glad season 5 of Enterprise got cancelled, so many lovely ideas were in the works. Borg Queen origin episode for example.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but ugghhhhhhhhhh

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FrensaGeran posted:

The Borg Queen wasn't human you stupid fucks.

I remember years ago there was an article that made the rounds, and it basically said (I think it might even have been the title) "Star Wars fans hate Star Wars." It was a little cheeky and reductive, as I recall, but not devoid of insight.

I realized some time ago that while it would be easy for me to say something similar about Star Trek, it's not really true. Because I don't hate Star Trek; yeah sure I think a lot of the material is dogshit, but at the end of the day I still really dig that old-time space opera.

It's the idiot writers I hate. gently caress those guys.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IIRC they had also planned on revisiting some of the alien races introduced in the TOS cartoon series

Heh! Get it? Get it?? PUSSYFOOTING? :shepicide:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Volcott posted:

Really they should just put a cloak on every ship and only switch them on when the Klingons start poo poo like in DS9.

i too am excited by the prospect of seeing a space fight where all the ships are invisible

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bitterandtwisted posted:

Worf takes a vacation: joins ISIS

actually worf took a vacation and wound up getting swept through multiple parallel dimensions, inadvertently getting a parallel Geordi killed, and triggering a dimensional rift where the local sector of space started to fill up with parallel Enterprises (which resulted in one of them getting destroyed)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hector Beerlioz posted:

That's MISTER John Colicos to you

i will not hear words spoken against John Colicos

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
still pretty decent for a studio whose only prior experience in special effects was turning Lucille Ball's hair red

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wait so the huge turbonerd ignores the videogame in favor of mackin' on a hot lady and you guys still bust his nuts?? the gently caress is wrong with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

criscodisco posted:

It does sorta make sense, if the crew is 99% human, but it does get old.

I do laugh every time they try to give an example from history though, because it always follows the same formula: two historic human examples followed by one alien example.

E.g. "It's like the French uprising against the monarchy in the 1700's, or the civil rights movement of 1960's America, or the Ressican freedom wars of 2275."

if they did only actual historical examples, people would be all "heh guess history ended in the 20th century!" and if they did only future examples people would be all "who's this 'glip-glop' fella the captain just referenced, did i miss something when i got back late from going to the shitter during commercial??"

viewers were/are dumb, DS9 got a lot of letters from people angry about them destroying Captain Picard and the Enterprise when the Odyssey bit it in the first Jem'Hadar episode