Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

dunno why you're all so upset, it looks pretty good for what it is

*checks texts*

oh it's not on newgrounds dot com? carry on then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pick posted:

I've mentioned this more than once, I don't know if I've done so here, but I'm always baffled by people really loving chain of command parts one and two because I think the Federation is so grossly out of bounds but it's never evaluated in any real way. Uhhhh they have WMDs, probably. Well, they don't, but we are still going to go into the demilitarized zone and point weapons in their face and force them to stand down in their own territory because they accurately took captive someone who was accurately in violation of the treaty with the Federation itself proposed and signed, and who killed some innocent people doing so. Sure, the Federation denies that he did that, but he very provably did, the show shows us he did, and so the Federation is loving lying the entire time.

I think people like it for the quality of its acting and directing and the points it makes about torture, that sort of thing, not because they like when the Federation good guys whizz bang do good thing boo spoonheads

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

yeah that's because Orville is a parody of Trek (that's actually just Trek a lot of the time). things becoming self parody only works if they were originally god awful

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sisko is absolutely not shown as in the right there, the 'villain' calls him out as he's doing it, he's practically foaming at the mouth as he pursues a petty personal vendetta against a man actively calling him out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qdAoqe5JyE

Sorry you need the writers to come out on the sound stage and go "Hi kids, Ronald D. Moore here. In this scene, Benny Sisko does a bad thing. Gassing planets is very wrong, and you shouldn't do it." before you get the point.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

alexandriao posted:

What?

The test for figuring out if a show condones something is, do the characters see any negative effects from it? Or are they shielded from the consequences from their actions? The people in Always Sunny don't succeed because of their bullshit, whereas the people in the Big Bang Theory never see any consequences for their misogyny. Sisko is absolutely shielded from the consequences of all the lovely things he does, in other words, it's implicitly condoned.

This seems like a really childish way to approach stories.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Steve Shives makes the argument that Damar dying was an important part of his redemption - he was too complicit in too awful of poo poo for too long to be allowed to see a better world.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Start with Move Along Home, if they like that they'll like anything else the show can throw at them because they have extremely good taste

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What do y'all think of LoreRunner's episode reviews? I stumbled into his stuff recently and he seems to have some interesting insights, even if he is a bit goony and I don't always agree with his approach.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

bashir is moé

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Controversial: I don’t like Tapestry because it implies that you need to be some alpha bell-end to do well in Starfleet and that your colleagues will look down on you and think your life is worthless if you’re simply a diligent, careful science worker. Picard literallt chooses to die rather than be an average person - way too elitist and unpleasant of a message. And it speaks ill of the crew/Starfleet/humanity that they had someone of Picard’s potential but failed to bring out that potential. The show blames that on Picard and his behaviour as an individual (which is also bizarre since Picard is usually a role model) but surely his superiors bear some responsibility too. I have a lot of problems with that episode, not my top 5

I think the intention is that the person Picard chose to be didn't have that potential. The Picard who was aware of what had happened - who essentially came into being right there age 60-whatever - may have had that potential, but the man who'd lived the life the older Picard chose for him learned that being a spineless wimp is what gets you through life.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I mean, same (except replace post-scarcity with being in one of the richest nations), but I don’t think I deserve to die. Even in post-scarcity aren’t there gonna be a bunch of people around who find that they don’t really have an incredible love of some sort of work and they’re actually okay with simply contributing in a small way to the big task of humanity, and otherwise chilling with their friends on the holodeck? Would Picard be okay with letting such people die because they’re ‘not really living’? Vulcans would probably deny working with ‘passion and imagination’, as Picard says that Lt Pic doesn’t have. Maybe they’d even deny having ambition. A Vulcan would logically avoid a fight. Do Vulcans deserve to die?

He's not making the choice for anyone but himself.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Controversial opinion: Tapestry is not an endorsement of regularly culling the bottom 20% least productive citizens

E: Also, remember, it's not the 'genuine' version of blue shirt Picard's life, it's a scenario concocted by Q to teach Picard, and the audience through him, a lesson. Maybe the real Lt. JG Picard would have quit Starfleet and gone off to dig up ancient ruins somewhere nice and safe, or maybe he'd have gone back home and rediscovered his passion for wine making, or maybe he'd have done a thousand other things, but he didn't, because that's not the scenario Picard wanted and needed to see. Q - essentially, and even calling himself, God - decreed that the only thing that changed about the world would be Picard himself, and swept the intervening 30 years away to show Picard the kind of man he'd become, without any other distracting changes in setting.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 15, 2020

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

why does poo poo explode all over the place when the shields haven't even gone down yet, anyway

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm from England and I've never wondered if the Ferengi were Irish

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

alexandriao posted:

Worth noting that while TNG was being broadcast the Irish Troubles were still happening. They has to cut the "Irish Reunification of 2024" bit from the one episode, that is if they didn't just cut the episode entirely.

Oh that's true. That stuff's all long before my time so it's easy to forget.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sisko's very first story is him reasoning with the Prophets and getting them to do something for him, it's the most well established idea in the series, just behind bajorans being dicks

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I read a star trek novel once and the only thing I remember from it is a Cardassian ship flying low over Bajor during a major festival, the crew bailing out and leaving their ship to crash, then Dukat claiming they were being "fired on" by the fireworks people were setting off to celebrate the festival

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

oh right, I think I have one od the shatner novels lying around too, where kirk is somehow in the tng era. it ends with the reveal that the antagonist is tiberius kirk from the mirror universe, and at some point someone complains about how the galaxy class has a bench for its commanders instead of a captain's throne

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I love science! That's the power of math, people!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

don't think we have any star treks going on at the moment so having one will be quite nice

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

I think we're more likely to have a cameo on Picard by a character from Lower Decks.

So... your casting choices for 20-years-older versions of the four Ensigns?

why would they need to be 20 years older

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Star Trek: Disease

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

what is up with the double fisted hammer blow anyway

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the saucer section made for a pretty cool effect when the Yamato exploded in Contagion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ_Y_5bQhS8

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Crush

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Guinan wasn't present when her people were wiped out, she said so herself

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Endless Trash posted:

There wasn’t a eugenics war in the 90s so apparently people from the future suck at history.

they retconned that as being a shadow war that all took place behind the scenes, including at least one real life natural disaster in India being one of them attacking Khan

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

if the words "fandom" and "menace" are involved, it's Some Guy On 4chan, confirmed by our man on the inside, Yep Sounds About Right To Me, as told to a guy wearing a dr doom themed sex toy as a mask

e: here's a stupid and tedious YouTube video about it, but long story short people have been making up rumours that buy into chuds' pre existing beliefs so they breathlessly report them as fact

Dabir fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 22, 2020

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn4fW0EInqw

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3sXUhq0sDU
Elsewhere in this interview Kurtzman basically says they're trying to make Star Trek pull Game of Thrones numbers. There's scenes in both Picard and STD that look like they're directly lifting from GoT. Guess they're speedrunning to Game of Thrones's reputation.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

Have any of the mass effect people commented on the plagerism?

they haven't got a leg to stand on seeing as mass effect is an unlicensed remake of star control 2, and for some reason also star control 3

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

11/9 still ruining star trek 20 years on

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Azathoth posted:

I remember as a kid growing up watching it and anytime they'd have a rerun, if they weren't wearing the uniforms with the collar, I would turn it off. Even child me, who gobbled up any mediocre scifi I could get my grubby little mitts on, could see how terrible the first two seasons are.

The last rewatch that I did, I found some site that had reviews of every episode along with two other aggregated review sources (IMDB and some other fansite I hadn't heard of, I think), and I skipped anything that had bad reviews from all 3. It was most of season 1 and a good chunk of 2 as well. It really helped to smooth out the rewatch and, frankly, nothing of value is lost skipping like the bottom 20% of episodes. The thing that really stuck with me though is just how many real stinkers they had, even up through the last season (looking at you Masks and Sub Rosa).

kid you was missing out on measure of a man though

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I like the song

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Applewhite posted:

IDK if it was necessary. Going back to yet another Batman analogy, I never worried about whether the Batman movie canon lined up with the TV show canon. Movies existing in a separate continuity from the TV show is a pretty well-established practice and one with which even pedantic nerds are familiar.

Yeah. In other franchises. In this one, every piece of media is part of one consistent universe of canon, and it's been that way for decades. And before anyone points out the animated series, at the time it was considered to be a continuation of the story TOS told, parts of it are still thought of as canon, other parts have been explicitly contradicted by later media (same thing happened to Threshold, lest we forget) and the rest exists in a sort of vague "yeah if we want to revisit it then it can be, otherwise it doesn't matter" zone.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

at least someone's optimistic about Bioware's future

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Olewithmilk posted:

Due to COVID lockdown I've finally watched TNG and DS9 too many times in a row, so I've moved onto Voyager. Threshold is a season 2 episode :captainpop: I thought it was some late season running out of ideas poo poo.

It is late season. For TNG.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

This is hilarious in the face of the responses I've received in this thread

I came here to upset people and people got upset! Now someone's saying something reasonable and that's loving hysterical!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

HD DAD posted:

It truly fucks with my head how much Avery Brooks changes when you shave his head and add a goatee. I can barely reconcile they’re the same person.

Pre-beard Frakes and full-beard Frakes are two completely different people and I won't hear otherwise. Weirdly enough post-beard Frakes is not pre-beard Frakes, he's definitely the same guy as full-beard Frakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

she looks a lot like Microwave's mom